• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Has a book ever changed your life?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Just wondering if people have had life-changing experiences from reading a certain book.

Has a book ever radically altered the way you view life, love & the universe?

I absolutely LOVE reading. I have read many wonderful books over the past 30 years or so of my life's journey!

If I had to select one that has been of most benefit, it would be a book few people have heard of.

The book is "Emissary of Light" by James Twyman.

That book was the MOST effortless reading experience I have ever had! I would read 40 or 50 pages in what seemed like a few minutes.

It was in fact the first book I ever read that explained the experience of unconditional love.

Here is the section I am talking about - it literally gave me goose-bumps! -

"The final lesson is about the true meaning of love. I have said before that fear is the self-imposed block to the awareness of love's presence. When fear is released, love is revealed. And yet the true experience of love is beyond anything you can now imagine. It lies past all the images and symbols you have made to obscure love's call. And yet it is closer than you know, closer than your breath or even the silent whisper of love's longing for itself. And what is the secret that love has whispered into your half-closed ear, the distant echo that has haunted you so? You are the very essence of Love. This very moment, just as you are, in spite of all the preconceived ideas you have of yourself, love claims you and accepts you."

"You have forgotten who you are because in your fear of losing love you have witheld that which is your foundation. Love by its very nature is a gift that is freely given. And yet this gift is know only as it is given again. Only when love is breathed from one heart to another is it fully experienced. When love is witheld it is forgotten, and because you and love were born together, you are forgotten with her. She lies hidden within you beside the still forgotten memory of your truest Self. Though asleep and dreaming, she awaits the dawn when her name is called and she is again brought back to life. And the awakening of love is your awakening as well, so intimately linked, all from giving freely that which you are: the full awareness of love's presence. But this awakening process requires that you give up all the ways you have tried to limit and contain her."

"True, or unconditional, love is unaware of the strange demands you impose on your relationships. Love is the same for all. Your attempts to reserve love for specific relationships and then withold it from others is the very thing that has blocked your vision of love's presence. Give as love gives - just as the sun that gives its light to all who ask, or the sparrow that sings not for the one who listens, but for the song itself. When you give love, love is your reward. When you judge some people as worthy of your giving and other people as undeserving, then it is you who is undeserving; not because you have been judged by love but because you have forgotten love's law."

"You, in your essence are the foundation of unconditional love. The water you give refreshes the whole universe, for you are not separate from one part of the universe but are intimately linked to all. Let your gift be free, then. Let it flow from you and wash over all those you see, all those who cross your path. Do not think that you cannot still have relationships that are more involved than others. Involvement has nothing to do with love. There will always be those in your life with whom you share the deeper pulse of your thoughts and those whom you do not. But the love you give is the same for each of them. It is but the recognition of the very same life of which you are continually reborn."

"Love is a knowing, a pure understanding. It knows that all things are whole, regardless of their appearance or delusion, and it gives itself wholly, without judgement, without recognizing the difference between this relationship or that. It understands that there is only one real relationship and it is the one we all share, the Self that is beyond the thought or the idea of Love, the holy encounter of life with life. The secret of unconditional love is that we are all the same, holy beyond imagination. This is what the release of fear reveals. This is what you are all looking for. And this is what you will find when you open your heart to every element of creation."

We sat there for a very long time without saying a word. The silence was overwhelming. I looked up at Teacher and thought I noticed a change. His face began to glow, I was sure of it. The Light radiated from him and all around him. Then it extended to include all of us. We were engulfed in the Light. I cannot describe what this is like because it is beyond anything the world can understand. Several of the women and attendants stood up from their chairs. One of them started jumping up in the air and another began laughing out loud. Soon we were all laughing and dancing, moving with the energy and sharing the Light. I could no longer tell the difference between myself and the others. In that instant I understood everything. I was teacher. I was the Light. I swam in the ocean of sameness and knew I would never leave again.

Hopefully that will inspire you - it sure has been for me!

So ... I would be interested to hear about other people's life-changing experiences.

All the best!

Last edited:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Another book few have heard of is called "The Troubled Mind".

I read it when I was really psychotic. Found it in my local library -

Since the beginnings of recorded history, man has been fascinated with the insane, with their deranged feeling, thinking, and behaviour. Insane people with fanciful delusions have at times attracted large numbers of adherents, who looked upon their psychotic leaders as prophets or as saviours of some sort. The alluring properties of the "prophet's" message may be more than just a beckoning of a way to escape from the boredom of everyday life. I suspect that many followers are riveted by a peculiarly intoxicating quality of psychotic ecstasy conveyed by the "mad" leader.

The psychiatric disease that converts man into an other-worldly creature - at once wiser than the wisest of the sane and yet so deeply troubled that he suffers more than a terminal cancer patient - is surely schizophrenia. Because of his bizarre loss of contact with everyday reality, the schizophrenic can appeal to us as a messiah bearing the message of the infinite. For our conception of the universe is bounded by the straitjacket of conventional thinking processes. A schizophrenic's self-perception is so fragmented that he seems to function at a different plane of consciousness from the rest of humanity. Some psychiatrists who have dealt extensively with schizophrenics even wonder whether the schizophrenic's "psychotic" perception of the world might not conform more to ultimate reality than does our sane vision.

Cheers!

Skwim

Veteran Member
At one time in my late teens I was nominal Christian until my cousin gave me Bertrand Russel's book Why I Am Not A Christian. It really opened my eyes, and I have never looked back.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Books have shaped the philosophy of my life and continue today. Some of the special ones that I really got a lot out of.

The New Testament
The imitation of Christ Thomas a Kempis
Profiles in Courage John F Kennedy
Incarnations of Immortality Piers Anthnony
The Magic Kingdom of Landover Terry Brooks
The Alchemist Paulo Coelho

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There have been things I've read at various points that changed my thinking about a topic, certainly. The titles and authors aren't really important - the ideas that I learned about are. Some of those revolutionary ideas for me included:
  • Shattering the classical monotheism box. Once upon a time, I was like most Westerners who believe theism = classical monotheism. Then I read some things that made me realize anything can be a god (and is or was in some culture or religious tradition). On the whole this is a good thing, but it is not without its downsides.
  • Reconceptualizing religion. Once upon a time, I was also one of those Westerners who conflated religion with (classical) monotheism and Abrahamic (Christian) religions. Then I read some things (and took some college courses) that slapped me upside the head and helped me realize that was stupid.
  • Sciences as a religious endeavor. A combination of sources opened up my thinking about mythology, religion, and its purpose. That in turn opened the door for recognizing the sciences as a religious activity, particularly with works that deliberately craft mythic narrative out of scientific information.
These three things in some combination allowed my current religious path to be constructed and flourish. It wouldn't have happened without some obstacles imposed by mainstream culture collapsing. Some other things played a role too, but these were particularly central. Before I was in my twenties, the notion of religion being anything other than an outdated, dogma-laden fossil that needed to go extinct was foreign to me. The notion of God being anything other than a stupid story that was pointless when sciences were so awesome was also foreign to me. Yes, I was pretty much that angstheist. :sweat:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just wondering if people have had life-changing experiences from reading a certain book.

The book that changed my life was God Loves Laughter by William Sears - God Loves Laughter

God Loves Laughter - Review

It was an awakening in to my Spiritual Self.

The greatest eye opener I have ever read was by the same author and was the next book I read called 'Thief in the Night', this was great disclosure on Biblical Prophecy. There is a PDF available with this book - https://bahai-library.com/pdf/s/sears_thief_night.pdf

Regards Tony

Phantasman

I absolutely LOVE reading. I have read many wonderful books over the past 30 years or so of my life's journey!

If I had to select one that has been of most benefit, it would be a book few people have heard of.

That book was the MOST effortless reading experience I have ever had! I would read 40 or 50 pages in what seemed like a few minutes.

It was in fact the first book I ever read that explained the experience of unconditional love.

"The final lesson is about the true meaning of love. I have said before that fear is the self-imposed block to the awareness of love's presence. When fear is released, love is revealed. And yet the true experience of love is beyond anything you can now imagine. It lies past all the images and symbols you have made to obscure love's call. And yet it is closer than you know, closer than your breath or even the silent whisper of love's longing for itself. And what is the secret that love has whispered into your half-closed ear, the distant echo that has haunted you so? You are the very essence of Love. This very moment, just as you are, in spite of all the preconceived ideas you have of yourself, love claims you and accepts you."

"You have forgotten who you are because in your fear of losing love you have witheld that which is your foundation. Love by its very nature is a gift that is freely given. And yet this gift is know only as it is given again. Only when love is breathed from one heart to another is it fully experienced. When love is witheld it is forgotten, and because you and love were born together, you are forgotten with her. She lies hidden within you beside the still forgotten memory of your truest Self. Though asleep and dreaming, she awaits the dawn when her name is called and she is again brought back to life. And the awakening of love is your awakening as well, so intimately linked, all from giving freely that which you are: the full awareness of love's presence. But this awakening process requires that you give up all the ways you have tried to limit and contain her."

"True, or unconditional, love is unaware of the strange demands you impose on your relationships. Love is the same for all. Your attempts to reserve love for specific relationships and then withold it from others is the very thing that has blocked your vision of love's presence. Give as love gives - just as the sun that gives its light to all who ask, or the sparrow that sings not for the one who listens, but for the song itself. When you give love, love is your reward. When you judge some people as worthy of your giving and other people as undeserving, then it is you who is undeserving; not because you have been judged by love but because you have forgotten love's law."

"You, in your essence are the foundation of unconditional love. The water you give refreshes the whole universe, for you are not separate from one part of the universe but are intimately linked to all. Let your gift be free, then. Let it flow from you and wash over all those you see, all those who cross your path. Do not think that you cannot still have relationships that are more involved than others. Involvement has nothing to do with love. There will always be those in your life with whom you share the deeper pulse of your thoughts and those whom you do not. But the love you give is the same for each of them. It is but the recognition of the very same life of which you are continually reborn."

"Love is a knowing, a pure understanding. It knows that all things are whole, regardless of their appearance or delusion, and it gives itself wholly, without judgement, without recognizing the difference between this relationship or that. It understands that there is only one real relationship and it is the one we all share, the Self that is beyond the thought or the idea of Love, the holy encounter of life with life. The secret of unconditional love is that we are all the same, holy beyond imagination. This is what the release of fear reveals. This is what you are all looking for. And this is what you will find when you open your heart to every element of creation."

We sat there for a very long time without saying a word. The silence was overwhelming. I looked up at Teacher and thought I noticed a change. His face began to glow, I was sure of it. The Light radiated from him and all around him. Then it extended to include all of us. We were engulfed in the Light. I cannot describe what this is like because it is beyond anything the world can understand. Several of the women and attendants stood up from their chairs. One of them started jumping up in the air and another began laughing out loud. Soon we were all laughing and dancing, moving with the energy and sharing the Light. I could no longer tell the difference between myself and the others. In that instant I understood everything. I was teacher. I was the Light. I swam in the ocean of sameness and knew I would never leave again.

So ... I would be interested to hear about other people's life-changing experiences.

All the best!
I can't think of one single book that did. In my religious pursuit, I would say the Nag Hammadi books gave me a better outlook on the spiritual aspect. One single experience that made me see the reality of man and the world and my perceptions of it, was going through the program "Personal Power" by Tony Robbins 20 cassette tapes back in 1988. It gave me a whole new insight of people as well as myself. I have always utilized much of what I learned, even to this day.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Besides the Bible.... :D

Leadership and Self-Deception -- getting out of the box

was an extremely good book that releases people from the box you have created. Actually, you are in the box and need to get out of the box.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Started a list, and then realized, learned from every book; even the worst teach us something not to do.
  • How to win friends and influence people - Dale Carnegie
  • Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu
  • The Neverending Story - Michael Ende
  • The Celestine Prophecy - James Redfield
In my opinion. :innocent:

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
One author you may never have heard of is Michael Leunig. I have a few of his books.

My favourite quote from him is as follows:

"Love one another and you will be happy - it's as simple and as difficult as that."

You can see some of his cartooons at this site -

Cartoons - Leunig

Checkout the menus at the top of the screen.

Enjoy!

Bob the Unbeliever

I was in High School. I read Robert Heinlein's novella, "If This Goes On.... "

The story in and of itself, was fairly typical Heinlein of that time, but within the story? A lengthy discussion on Semantics, and the meaning of words. And how words have emotional indexes, and can be weighted with emotional meaning, and so forth.

It was a literal eye-opener for me-- to realize how words work in normal human communication, and that you can say the same thing (if you ignore any emotional overtones) with two completely different sentences.

The classic example was "my father had relations with my mother, and I was born". Or the more literal "he was a motherf----" Both are true. The former is dry and emotionless. The latter is typically used as a high insult.

It made me rethink a great many things, and was one of the few stories I re-read immediately. (back then, my memory was so sharp, that I could quote entire dialog from a just-finished novel... I used to use this skill to the consternation of English Lit teachers most of my educational life. :) )

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

All the best!
For me two books deserve mention.
War and Peace
Lord of the Rings

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I have also really enjoyed Pema Chodron's books.

She encourages people to treat themselves with a little more kindness & compassion.

If you want a taste of her writing, try this site -

Articles

Cheers

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
At one time in my late teens I was nominal Christian until my cousin gave me Bertrand Russel's book Why I Am Not A Christian. It really opened my eyes, and I have never looked back.

I think I read that as a youth too, but I was pretty much on my way to not believing in religions by then anyway. I did read many of Russell's books, and along with Tolstoy, found much to agree with in their writing. :)

So, rather than citing one book, which would be impossible, I would say that both Russell and Tolstoy did influence me the most since I did read many of their books during my youth. :oops:

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member

All the best!

This is a tough question. After much reflection, I would suggest that there have been a few. Though, I am fairly certain it was when I read the books and not what I read in the books that made the difference.

1) Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
2) One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
3) The Republic
4) Notes from the Underground
5) Finnegan's Wake

Each book had its own value. There have been many other books, some better written even, that I have cherished. But, as of this moment, I can think of none that were as influential.

Phantasman

Besides the Bible.... :D

Leadership and Self-Deception -- getting out of the box

was an extremely good book that releases people from the box you have created. Actually, you are in the box and need to get out of the box.
I didn't say Bible, because it is a book OF books. Some to see, some to discard (unless you are of catholic thought). I could say that the Johannines gospel (John) was the greatest, and list Pauls letters in order as well as Secret John, Gospel of Thomas, Gospel of Philip, Secret James, make a book out of them, and say "this is the Bible". In that respect, Bible would work. As it is currently, the Bible just isn't there, for me anyways.:)

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
may be cliché for a person who has been training martial arts for over 40 years but..

• Living the Martial Way by Forrest E. Morgan
  • Zen in the Martial Arts by Joe Hyams
  • The Secret Power Within: Zen Solutions to Real Problems by Chuck Norris

all had an effect on my life

Bob the Unbeliever

I think I read that as a youth too, but I was pretty much on my way to not believing in religions by then anyway. I did read many of Russell's books, and along with Tolstoy, found much to agree with in their writing. :)

So, rather than citing one book, which would be impossible, I would say that both Russell and Tolstoy did influence me the most since I did read many of their books during my youth. :oops:

You, sir (or madam) are something of a Saint, if you willingly read Tolstoy. :)

I had the unfortunate experience of having Anna Karenina forced upon me as a high school senior.

Now I read at a college senior reading level by then, so that wasn't the issue-- but I'm something of a reading snob: if the story isn't strongly compelling, reasonably fast-paced and has good world building? I'm just not interested. So I had a strong disdain for "the classics", apart from a selected few authors. (for example, I loved Treasure Island, and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.) I never did get over my poor opinion of Shakespeare, though. Unfortunately. :rolleyes:

But I have to admire anyone who can read Tolstoy, and come away as a fan. Seriously-- I'm absolutely not being sarcastic-- it's kind of amazing to me that someone has the will to finish. :D

I think being forced to read Anna K, kind of ruined me though. I did find Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's book, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, inspiring. I only read it the one time, but scenes from that book are still vivid in my mind, because I returned to the memory so many times over the last 30 years.

If you haven't read it, I'll warn you-- it's not an uplifting story on it's face. But underneath? It is kind of a celebration of one person's determination to remain true to himself, even in the face of abject misery.

One scene in particular illustrates this, to me: When he's out setting bricks along some meaningless fence construction. Denisovich is particular about his brick-laying skill, and is determined to iron out the mistakes of the previous brick layor's mediocre efforts. He re-levels the course up to his own personal standards of perfection, because That Is What You Do. Nobody will ever care about this, but Ivan himself. No one will even notice. Likely the wall will crumble and fall down in a few hears after he's died, because the bricks they are given are sub-standard, and the mortar is freezing in the cold (so it does not set properly before freezing, then if it thaws, it's weakened from being frozen).

It's an amazing Scene, painted vivid by Solzhenitsyn's words.

The other scene I remember, is the supper scene-- where "food" is distributed to the prisoners...

I was in the 11th grade, when we were given this book to read, and then discuss in class. I expect, however, that today's PC climate? It'd be too much for mere high schoolers, even though there's no sex or overt violence... just poverty, misery and humans trying to survive.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You, sir (or madam) are something of a Saint, if you willingly read Tolstoy. :)

Yes, I am a mister rather than a madam. :D And it might be even worse than you imagine since most, actually all, of the books were non-fiction - as in the one mentioned earlier and many others.

I had the unfortunate experience of having Anna Karenina forced upon me as a high school senior.

Now I read at a college senior reading level by then, so that wasn't the issue-- but I'm something of a reading snob: if the story isn't strongly compelling, reasonably fast-paced and has good world building? I'm just not interested. So I had a strong disdain for "the classics", apart from a selected few authors. (for example, I loved Treasure Island, and 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.) I never did get over my poor opinion of Shakespeare, though. Unfortunately. :rolleyes:

But I have to admire anyone who can read Tolstoy, and come away as a fan. Seriously-- I'm absolutely not being sarcastic-- it's kind of amazing to me that someone has the will to finish. :D

Perhaps the non-fiction is more pleasant - he is eminently sensible most of the time. :) I've seen quite a few versions of War and Peace in film but never read the book - that too might not seem so enjoyable.

I think being forced to read Anna K, kind of ruined me though. I did find Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's book, One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, inspiring. I only read it the one time, but scenes from that book are still vivid in my mind, because I returned to the memory so many times over the last 30 years.

If you haven't read it, I'll warn you-- it's not an uplifting story on it's face. But underneath? It is kind of a celebration of one person's determination to remain true to himself, even in the face of abject misery.

I think I have read this, but long ago - I am in my 70s. :rolleyes:

One scene in particular illustrates this, to me: When he's out setting bricks along some meaningless fence construction. Denisovich is particular about his brick-laying skill, and is determined to iron out the mistakes of the previous brick layor's mediocre efforts. He re-levels the course up to his own personal standards of perfection, because That Is What You Do. Nobody will ever care about this, but Ivan himself. No one will even notice. Likely the wall will crumble and fall down in a few hears after he's died, because the bricks they are given are sub-standard, and the mortar is freezing in the cold (so it does not set properly before freezing, then if it thaws, it's weakened from being frozen).

It's an amazing Scene, painted vivid by Solzhenitsyn's words.

The other scene I remember, is the supper scene-- where "food" is distributed to the prisoners...

I was in the 11th grade, when we were given this book to read, and then discuss in class. I expect, however, that today's PC climate? It'd be too much for mere high schoolers, even though there's no sex or overt violence... just poverty, misery and humans trying to survive.

I can't recall anything from that book. :)

I will say something about Tolstoy though. He inspired me to theft. Naughty youth that I was at the time, and working for a short while in a bookstore, I came across his books, and, these being pocket-sized versions, they did exactly that and flew into my pockets. :eek:

Well, they say learning is good for one. :( :D :rolleyes:

Edit: I still have these books, and although many of Tolstoy's books were religiously oriented, I appear not to have read these so much as others of his, and Darwin's Origin of Species was one of these books too - so Tolstoy was not the only author tempting me into crime! :D

Last edited: