• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hang a World map in your House:N Year resolution

JIMMY12345

Putin snapped the average American could not pinpoint Ukraine on a map.

Perhaps true.What is true to improve our mental and physical health and general psychology we made lots of New Year resolutions.Stay of Nan Bread,Red Wine Cakes Biscuits ,Run 10ks,Run 5 ks,cycle more.

One you can keep is buy a large world map on line.Hang it in your home. Memorise the location of one country every week.

At the end of the year everyone will want you on their quiz team.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Perhaps true.What is true to improve our mental and physical health and general psychology we made lots of New Year resolutions.Stay of Nan Bread,Red Wine Cakes Biscuits ,Run 10ks,Run 5 ks,cycle more.

One you can keep is buy a large world map on line.Hang it in your home. Memorise the location of one country every week.

Well, I've always had an interest in geography and maps, so I guess I'm kind of the opposite of the stereotype about Americans not knowing geography.

Although there may be some truth to the overall notion, as I've encountered a number of people who don't know much about geography or even be able to read a road map. Nowadays, with GPS telling them where and which way to go, they don't even need to.

I remember many years ago at work, I was talking with a co-worker who was telling me about a new employee who happened to be an immigrant from Ukraine. My co-worker not only had never heard of Ukraine, but she said she called about half a dozen of her friends to ask if they knew, and none of them ever heard of it either.

There are plenty of good online maps out there.

the-world-according-to-america-2.png

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There are plenty of good online maps out there.

Better than the one above, at least. It completely leaves out "HERE BE YETIS AND WHITE WALKERS" on the bottom. Also, the map is upside down, I think.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I have a head start, having visited so many on business, though nobody would want me on their quiz team as I'm so crap at the sport and pop music questions. But I agree it's a good thing to have an idea of where places are. I think the most obscure place I went to was probably Paramaribo. One had to fly from Schipol. I recall I flew back on the Queen's birthday and all the stewardesses (KLM) had orange ribbons. It was nice.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Better than the one above, at least. It completely leaves out "HERE BE YETIS AND WHITE WALKERS" on the bottom. Also, the map is upside down, I think.

There are some funny satire maps as well. Historical maps are also quite fascinating - a lot of good collections out there.

stevecanuck

I have a world map story (actually a globe story). When we lived in Egypt I could speak enough Arabic to communicate with our maid. She never went to school and didn't have a TV. She asked me where we were from, so I grabbed my globe and showed her where Egypt was, and then spun it to show her how far away Calgary was. She clearly had zero idea what I was on about. I realized she didn't know the earth was round, so explained it to her. She just shook her head and walked away.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I have hearts of iron 4.

It's part of my resolution to take over the world as Canada.