• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gun Control: Does Owning Guns make some people feel Special?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
If the government authorized it, I'd go along with it. That's a case where the government authorized them to have guns. Quite different.

Oberon

If the government authorized it, I'd go along with it. That's a case where the government authorized them to have guns. Quite different.

Wait, hold on. The government didn't "authorize them" to have guns. They have guns because they got licences. Any private citizen with a license is just as "authorized" by the government. The government paid them to use the assault and tactical gear they already had because they needed help.

Oberon

Oberon the government should take their guns once they're finished.

Hey, you are the one saying trust the government. The government gave them licenses the same way I have one and every legally authorized permit holder or gun owner is "authorized" by the government.

The government didn't take away their guns, which they had before and have now.

So either we shouldn't trust the government, because it allows a large force of private security armed to the teeth to provide help, or we shouldn't trust them. Which is it?

Rainbow Mage

They weren't entirely trustworthy anyway. They embezzled a lot of money. I remember it. The government should temporarily authorize them to have guns in case of emergency and then take the guns after. Non-personal citizens do not need guns

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
I didn't say it was wrong. There are alternatives to guns though, and people who seem to want to use guns for defense, never seem to consider alternatives. They just want to use guns.
Or maybe they don't want to gamble with alternatives that would greatly increase the risk of them coming under harm from an attacker, who if you're a woman being attacked by a man, has an large advantage over them.

Oberon

The government should temporarily authorize them to have guns in case of emergency and then take the guns after. Non-personal citizens do not need guns

You are missing the point. You say we can all trust the government for help. Here is one instance of the government turning to private citizens, all of whom are armed, for help.

Now, you say the government should only temporarily authorize them. Which means they wouldn't have had the weapons necessary to be there when asked, and the government wouldn't have been able to send them.

Additionally, the government didn't "temporarily" authorize them. If that's what the government should have done, and didn't, why should we put our trust in them, as you say we ought to?

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Or maybe they don't want to gamble with alternatives that would greatly increase the risk of them coming under harm from an attacker, who if you're a woman being attacked by a man, has an large advantage over them.

Or maybe you don't want them back at your doorstep next week. Next time you may not get the upper hand.

Rainbow Mage

Oberon I don't entirely trust the government, but it's because of Republicans we can't pass more gun restrictions. Oberon citizens don't need guns. This wouldn't even be an issue in other countries. This is only an issue in America where so many seem to be gun happy. If they had no guns, the whole mess in New Orleans with forming mobs using guns would never have happened.

Oberon

Oberon I don't entirely trust the government

So your argument is really "we should trust the government with safety, our lives, but we shouldn't trust them to make the right decisions"!!?

And this seems logical to you?

This wouldn't even be an issue in other countries.

Right. Like Switzerland...an assault rifle in every home.

Gun politics in Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If they had no guns, the whole mess in New Orleans with forming mobs using guns would never have happened.

L.A. riots, anyone?

Last edited:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
The government can protect your rights, that's what cops are for
How does the citizen having the right to own a gun actually serve a purpose?
I live in an area where, many nights, we have one law enforcement official on duty for the entire county. I live at one far end of the county. If that one official is at the other end of the county (which is probable because the bar there has issues at times) his response time will be about 90 minutes with lights and siren going and his car doing the fastest speed that can be maintained safely. I know because when I used to be a cop I was occasionally that one official on duty within the entire county. That was before I became a disabled veteran. I have nerve damage in several places in my upper body. I am not frail or anything, but I am in no condition to engage in hand to hand combat with an assailant. Let me ask you, and any other anti-gun folks here this...

When a man with a blade kicks in my back door at night, what should I do for the 90 minutes while I am waiting for law enforcement to come save me?

1) Ask the attacker if he would please wear a condom while raping my family members.

2) Make the attacker some food and mix him a drink while he is loading my things into his car.

3) Offer to help him load my things into his car while he is having his meal and drink.

4) All of the above.

5) Draw my weapon, eliminate the threat, and bring my children to a neighbor's house until police arrive.

I personally vote for option 5. The others just don't really appeal to me in any way.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
And you wonder why liberals don't think citizens need guns?

No, I just have wrote you off on the possibility of seeing things my way. I respect your right to disagree with me, I just hope there are more people who see things my way than yours.

You see, America has so many guns, you can't confiscate them all. No matter how you try. Law abiding folks will turn their guns in while criminals will keep them.

You will create an underground economy because gun prices will soar in the black market. Crime will increase because criminals will become emboldened.

Right now, you are safe not because you have a gun but because you might have a gun. Remove that possibility and you will be less safe in the future.

I just have to ask you a question. Why are you afraid of me? I have been on this planet almost 60 years. I have broken no laws. I keep my guns in a safe. I have not bothered anyone in my community and I am a grandpa.

I keep to myself on my farm and do not ask for trouble. Now, if you want to walk down my long lane and deal with my dog first and then break into my home and set off my alarm and that still does not scare you off, then BANG, your dead.

I really don't understand why you have a problem with that.

Smoke

Done here.
I don't own a gun, but I like guns. I enjoy shooting. One of the reasons I don't own a gun anymore is that where I live I'd pretty much have to go to an indoor range to shoot. I liked it better in the old days when you could just pop off at a row of beer bottles if you wanted to.

I have no interest in collecting guns, and very little interest in guns for self-defense. One of the reasons I don't own a gun is I worry about it falling into the wrong hands.

However, I think owning guns for hunting is a perfectly good reason to own a gun. So is collecting, and so is self-defense. So is just enjoying shooting. If I decide to get a gun just so I can go shooting, so what? I think that should be my prerogative.

As to having lethal weapons in the hands of the general public, some people are too stupid to own guns and tragedy will inevitably result. I get that. Some people are too stupid to own SUVs and cellphones, too, and I can assure you that you are far more likely to be run over by some moron texting while driving than you are to be shot, accidentally or otherwise, by me.

Smoke

Done here.
I keep to myself on my farm and do not ask for trouble. Now, if you want to walk down my long lane and deal with my dog first and then break into my home and set off my alarm and that still does not scare you off, then BANG, your dead.

I really don't understand why you have a problem with that.
I don't have any problem with that at all, and I consider myself about as liberal as they come.