• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gun Control: Does Owning Guns make some people feel Special?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I don't own a gun. I don't suspect I ever will. I think guns are police officers, not toys or collector's items. What is your view on the gun debate? Are you pro-gun ownership, or pro-gun ownership laws and regulations?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I think people should be free to purchase and own firearms with strict and thorough filtering and regulation policies.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Does owning Guns make some people feel Special?
Some people? Undoubtedly. Some people will feel special over any fool thing.

I don't own a gun. I don't suspect I ever will. I think guns are police officers, not toys or collector's items.
Of course they're not toys. The can, however, be collector's items. Primarily, though, they're for defense.

What is your view on the gun debate? Are you pro-gun ownership, or pro-gun ownership laws and regulations?
Yes.

Rainbow Mage

I don't think there's enough restrictions. That's the point. Guns are weapons, and they can kill people. Why is it that only in America is gun ownership an issue? Nobody makes it an issue in other countries. It's generally not a good idea to have a lethal weapon in the hands of the general public.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't think there's enough restrictions. That's the point. Guns are weapons, and they can kill people. Why is it that only in America is gun ownership an issue? Nobody makes it an issue in other countries.
Different cultures.

It's generally not a good idea to have a lethal weapon in the hands of the general public.
You mean like knives and baseball bats?

Rainbow Mage

My point is, why is it good that an American citizen can still buy and own a gun in the modern world? I can see how a gun for every citizen was good when the country was fighting for independence and getting off it's feet. What purpose does it serve now? Why do the people need guns?

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
I always thought it was to keep the government in check, keep it from over-reaching and completely dominating the people.

In general, of course. In reality, it's what ATS said. ^

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
My point is, why is it good that an American citizen can still buy and own a gun in the modern world? I can see how a gun for every citizen was good when the country was fighting for independence and getting off it's feet. What purpose does it serve now? Why do the people need guns?
Self defense. Hunting. Sport shooting. Because they want one. I don't care.

Anyway, why do people need cell phones? Cars? Cable? When it comes to banning something, "why do you need it" simply isn't good enough.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm not a fan of guns, I'm a blade person ;) But I don't think we should ban them or anything. It's like anything else, use it responsibly (responsibility includes waiting periods IMO, and just general safety) and there should be no problem.. just don't expect me to like them or be excited when you want to show me the newest addition to your collection.

Rainbow Mage

Keeping the government in check? Do you realize what that sounds like? As for hunting. Why do you need to hunt? You can go to the supermarket down the street and buy meat.

Just_me_Mike

I think some people should own the gun from the movie "The Mexican" with Brad Pitt, it was REAL special!

norm-421f4a5cdef0f-Mexican,+The+%282001%29.jpeg

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Keeping the government in check? Do you realize what that sounds like? As for hunting. Why do you need to hunt? You can go to the supermarket down the street and buy meat.
Again, the onus is on you to show why it should be banned. People hunt for many reasons.

Rainbow Mage

I do want an answer. What is so special about guns? What about guns makes people want to own one?

Just_me_Mike

True story, I got my kids BB guns 1 month ago. My oldest has already shot his flat screen TV on accident :sarcastic.

It was broke beyond repair, so now he is working for a new TV. Lessons of life!

Guns = Lessons in Life :angel2: