• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gun Control: Does Owning Guns make some people feel Special?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
How are guns effective tools? What are they effective for? Most people who own guns just seem proud to own one. Then they get their sons guns, like that's the best thing in the world. I remember when my dad got me a gun, I was like- okkkkk.

Walkntune

I don't think there's enough restrictions. That's the point. Guns are weapons, and they can kill people. Why is it that only in America is gun ownership an issue? Nobody makes it an issue in other countries. It's generally not a good idea to have a lethal weapon in the hands of the general public.
We should put a restriction on rocks also! They are weapons.
To make a law where citizens can't buy guns is only effective for law abiding citizens.
Criminals love such laws because it makes them feel safer to break into your house knowing they are the only one with the gun.Such laws give criminals an even greater advantage over the law abiding citizens.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
How are guns effective tools? What are they effective for?
What do you think? :facepalm:

Most people who own guns just seem proud to own one. Then they get their sons guns, like that's the best thing in the world. I remember when my dad got me a gun, I was like- okkkkk.
How many gun owners do you actually know?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
I do want an answer. What is so special about guns? What about guns makes people want to own one?
What is so special about ape hanger handlebars? I don't know and I don't want any. They don't make me feel special, but then it's not my place to ask people to justify their private purchase behavior.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I said lower then the US, not non-existent, and I can point out countries where the crime rate is almost non-existent thanks to anti-gun laws.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I said lower then the US, not non-existent, and I can point out countries where the crime rate is almost non-existent thanks to anti-gun laws.
I sincerely doubt that. In the UK, for instance, knife crime is on the rise, and they've even had to consider banning cheap katana. Guns do not magically turn people into criminals.

Last edited:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So you don't understand why people want guns, and you have this preconceived notion that every gun owner buys guns to somehow "feel special."

We understand. There is no point in you phrasing this as a rhetorical question though. When you pose a question, people tend to answer it based on the assumption that you actually want an answer.

You keep asking questions - you keep getting answers that you obviously don't care about. You just want to express your opinion, and expected a bunch of people to agree with you.

For future reference, if you want to express an opinion, just do so - don't disguise it as a sincere inquiry that you're interested in.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
My point is, why is it good that an American citizen can still buy and own a gun in the modern world? I can see how a gun for every citizen was good when the country was fighting for independence and getting off it's feet. What purpose does it serve now? Why do the people need guns?

Having the right and freedom to defend and protect yourself, your family and your property is a good thing. I would like to hear a well reasoned argument against the 2nd amendment rather than the same tired knee-jerk reactions and mewling prattle.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So you don't understand why people want guns, and you have this preconceived notion that every gun owner buys guns to somehow "feel special."

We understand. There is no point in you phrasing this as a rhetorical question though. When you pose a question, people tend to answer it based on the assumption that you actually want an answer.

You keep asking questions - you keep getting answers that you obviously don't care about. You just want to express your opinion, and expected a bunch of people to agree with you.

For future reference, if you want to express an opinion, just do so - don't disguise it as a sincere inquiry that you're interested in.
Seriously.

dust1n

Zindīq
I don't own a gun. I don't suspect I ever will. I think guns are police officers, not toys or collector's items. What is your view on the gun debate? Are you pro-gun ownership, or pro-gun ownership laws and regulations?

Thomas Jefferson:

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I own three guns. A rifle, and two shotguns. The use for them is for hunting. I hunt because, at least where I live, I can't buy deer meat from the super market, and I really like deer meat. Also, if it wasn't for hunters, many animal populations would get out of control. Hunting is important to maintain a balance. Guns could really help Australia with some pest control, such as rabbits.

I also lived on a farm for quite some time. Guns are quite important for defending ones farms animals. Coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, etc are problems. A gun helps that problem. Seeing ones geese, or calves dead from an animal attack sucks, and can become quite costly. Even rabbits, raccoons, skunks, etc can be a problem. Have you ever seen a rabid skunk? A gun is a lot better to deal with that then a baseball bat or etc. Or what about an angry badger? A gun is a solution to that problem.

A gun collection is generally quite safe. Most people do not leave them loaded, and are kept out of the way. My guns are kept in my room, unloaded, and covered, while the ammo is in a separate room. My father keeps locks on his, my father-in-law keeps his in a gun safe. Guns are relatively safe as most people make that so.

Guns do not make criminals. Take away our rights to own a gun, what happens? One, there would be an ecological problem. The population of deer, for example, would sky rocket and become a nuisance (for many farmers, they already are). Most likely, they will exceed the capacity limit for many areas, and thus cause even more problems for the ecological system in that area.
Two, criminals would still be getting their guns, as many of them are getting them illegally anyway.
Three, baseball bats, knives, swords, bow and arrows, rocks, cars, etc can all be used as weapons just as effectively. And most of those are a lot easier to get then a gun.

There is nothing wrong with guns. They serve a purpose.

dust1n

Zindīq
I own three guns. A rifle, and two shotguns. The use for them is for hunting. I hunt because, at least where I live, I can't buy deer meat from the super market, and I really like deer meat. Also, if it wasn't for hunters, many animal populations would get out of control. Hunting is important to maintain a balance. Guns could really help Australia with some pest control, such as rabbits.

I also lived on a farm for quite some time. Guns are quite important for defending ones farms animals. Coyotes, wolves, mountain lions, etc are problems. A gun helps that problem. Seeing ones geese, or calves dead from an animal attack sucks, and can become quite costly. Even rabbits, raccoons, skunks, etc can be a problem. Have you ever seen a rabid skunk? A gun is a lot better to deal with that then a baseball bat or etc. Or what about an angry badger? A gun is a solution to that problem.

A gun collection is generally quite safe. Most people do not leave them loaded, and are kept out of the way. My guns are kept in my room, unloaded, and covered, while the ammo is in a separate room. My father keeps locks on his, my father-in-law keeps his in a gun safe. Guns are relatively safe as most people make that so.

Guns do not make criminals. Take away our rights to own a gun, what happens? One, there would be an ecological problem. The population of deer, for example, would sky rocket and become a nuisance (for many farmers, they already are). Most likely, they will exceed the capacity limit for many areas, and thus cause even more problems for the ecological system in that area.
Two, criminals would still be getting their guns, as many of them are getting them illegally anyway.
Three, baseball bats, knives, swords, bow and arrows, rocks, cars, etc can all be used as weapons just as effectively. And most of those are a lot easier to get then a gun.

There is nothing wrong with guns. They serve a purpose.

The tool is nothing in itself. We define the tool's function individually for ourselves when we use it; it would be unfair to say guns are inherently bad. ;)