• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Greater purposes

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
As in - "Did you have a happy life?"
There's a good and valuable distinction.

Older people say something that I recall (paraphrase) as something like:
Go for it, take the risk, try to connect, and such.

In other words, they tell young people don't go for the same old routine always, but seek to find or do or achieve that something that you'd love to find even if it feels risky. At least find out whether the fleeting perception or pull was a real thing (or was instead say a projection of something good within).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
This is happiness in the sense of contentedness, or fulfillment.
"Are you happy in life?" is not asking if you are always merry. It is asking if your life is, on balance, a fulfilling one.

I assumed this is what you meant from the start

ppp

Forever true love is the hardest to live. Goodbye sucks. But if life were eternal then that would be the greatest purpose.
Many people have argued that a long life would be grand, but an eternal life would be a horror. I tend to agree. A few hundred years would be nice.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Happiness is not the goal in my book. To me the goal is continuing the species, and that includes cleaning up the mess so the species can thrive
So the goal is just survival of the species even if the species is not fulfilling any purpose above personal happiness?
Personal happiness is not the goal in my book either.

ChristineM

Premium Member
So the goal is just survival of the species even if the species is not fulfilling any purpose above personal happiness?
Personal happiness is not the goal in my book either.

I think so, without it humanity would be a line in a history book

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Oh, as far as i know, no one has ever confirmed that so how can you honestly say "it is...". Surely you mean "you believe it is..."
Confirmation is not what makes it so.... It is either so or it is not so...

I believe and I know it is so. How I know is not something most people can understand, especially atheists. ;)

ChristineM

Premium Member
Confirmation is not what makes it so.... It is either so or it is not so...

I believe and I know it is so. How I know is not something most people can understand, especially atheists. ;)

So you dont know but say you do because...

Reactions: ppp

ChristineM

Premium Member
How does being more than a line constitute a greater purpose? I understand that it is a purpose. But greater?

More than greater, the ultimate purpose of life.

Think about what i wrote, who would be there to read the book. How would the book exist in the first place if there were none to write it

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We can't know much on this side of the divide :neutral:

And yet somehow I prefer it that way.
Sometimes I think I would like to know, but Baha'u'llah explained why we are not allowed to know.....

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 345-346

and since I have faith, I just accept that it is in my best interest that I do not know the nature of the afterlife.

But since I have suffered so much in this life, the following passage speaks right to my heart, and since I have faith, I believe it will be as it was promised, even though I have no idea what it will actually be like, which is a bit scary.

“O My servants! Sorrow not if, in these days and on this earthly plane, things contrary to your wishes have been ordained and manifested by God, for days of blissful joy, of heavenly delight, are assuredly in store for you. Worlds, holy and spiritually glorious, will be unveiled to your eyes. You are destined by Him, in this world and hereafter, to partake of their benefits, to share in their joys, and to obtain a portion of their sustaining grace. To each and every one of them you will, no doubt, attain.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 329

ppp

More than greater, the ultimate purpose of life.

Think about what i wrote, who would be there to read the book. How would the book exist in the first place if there were none to write it
I don't buy that there is or could be an "ultimate" purpose. But setting that aside...
A book only exists because it fulfilled the goals of the writer in some way. If the existence of our species does not serve the happiness of the individual member of our species, then the continuing the existence of our species is not "purpose." It is just inertia.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This belongs here....

tumblr_orsiua6VNg1ssuoa0o4_250.gifv