• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Governor DeSantis Signs Law Against Squatters

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Are you claiming these laws have been in place forever?
I said squatting has been going on forever, or at least as long as humans have been building permanent or semi-permanent structures.

Squatting laws goes back to English common law and was a major part of settling the U.S.

It is anything but new.

Kfox

I said squatting has been going on forever, or at least as long as humans have been building permanent or semi-permanent structures.

Squatting laws goes back to English common law and was a major part of settling the U.S.

It is anything but new.
What English common law allowed people to trespass on private property? And how was this a major part of settling the USA?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes. Before they would get arrested for tresspass for doing this so nobody did it. But now with these squatters laws, they know how to get away with it so.......... Yeah recently.
The idea of occupying and working land to own it stretches back to antiquity, amd has often and frequently been the basis of deciding ownership in both law amd philosophy.

PureX

Veteran Member
But we've always had the poor; why is this only recently become a popular thing?
Half of the U.S. population is now teetering on the bring of abject poverty. Millions of our citizens are already homeless even as many of them work jobs. All it takes is the loss of a vehicle, or the loss of a job, or a medical setback, or even just a divorce. Meanwhile they are seeing the well-to-do buying up all the homes they can no longer afford to even rent, and letting them sit empty rather than renting them to poor working people.

The system is rigged to make the rich, richer, and to let the poor rot in poverty. And everyone knows it but the well off, who still think this is normal and fair and the way it should always be. But it's not normal and it's not fair and it's soon going to come to a head. Because this unfair system is teaching more and more people to reject it. To disregard it's unfair laws. And when enough people reach this point, the whole system is going to collapse.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
All it takes is the loss of a vehicle,
I'm very lucky myself I live not even half a mile from work because shortly after I started the van started having some serious problems. But walking to work is short, brief and comfortable so it wasn't that big of a deal to walk as I waited for parts and got tue repairs done as I could.
But some of my coworkers live closer to 20 miles away. I've met many with a 40-50 mile one way commute. One guy, a private security gaurd, gets sent to a weed dispensary 73 miles from home.
Loss of vehicle is a major threat in a society that just doesn't really do public transportation.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm very lucky myself I live not even half a mile from work because shortly after I started the van started having some serious problems. But walking to work is short, brief and comfortable so it wasn't that big of a deal to walk as I waited for parts and got tue repairs done as I could.
But some of my coworkers live closer to 20 miles away. I've met many with a 40-50 mile one way commute. One guy, a private security gaurd, gets sent to a weed dispensary 73 miles from home.
Loss of vehicle is a major threat in a society that just doesn't really do public transportation.
And there is NO HELP for anyone in this predicament at all. We offer food stamps, and even cell phones to poor people, but no transportation of any kind. In a nation that is completely designed to accommodate vehicles and not pedestrians.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And there is NO HELP for anyone in this predicament at all. We offer food stamps, and even cell phones to poor people, but no transportation of any kind. In a nation that is completely designed to accommodate vehicles and not pedestrians.
The sidewalks (if there are any) aren't even that good.

Kfox

The idea of occupying and working land to own it stretches back to antiquity, amd has often and frequently been the basis of deciding ownership in both law amd philosophy.
This has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. We're talking about "squatting" not share cropping, or whatever da heck you talking about.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It is anything but new.
What's new has been de facto legal protections
for squatters, & an increase in squatting.
And note that this differs from
a type called "adverse possession", which is
a more complex & long term situation.
Also, it's not to be confused with "squat cobbler",
which is legal...as long as one owns the cobbler.

Kfox

Half of the U.S. population is now teetering on the bring of abject poverty.
And half the victims of squatters are teetering on the brink of poverty. They aren't going to the rich guys house who has multiple security systems in place, they go to the poor single mother's house that can't afford such systems, and they force her out on the streets because she doesn't feel safe with herself and her children living in a house with a total stranger. This is not about the rich vs the poor, this is criminal behavior, this is wrong, and shame on you for trying to justify it!

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
This has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. We're talking about "squatting" not share cropping, or whatever da heck you talking about.
Homesteading is in fact relevant to the topic at hand.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Good point. Also, poor people should only purchase antique cars which can be repaired. There is no point in owning a new car, because it is designed in such a way that you will always need the dealer in order to keep owning it which in my opinion is legal indentured servitude. Unless you can sell it at a loss to someone else who will then need the dealer to keep owning it, unless they can sell it.

There is no transportation help for anyone without transportation unless they are disabled. Disabled people can get some assistance with transportation, but unlucky or stupid people cannot. So don't let your luck run out, and don't be stupid. You will find yourself walking long, long distances through exhaust filled areas. This was orchestrated long ago by the auto industry which lobbied government so that cities which once were full of foot traffic became full of auto lanes. Their lobbying worked, and now its impossible to get around in town except by using cross walks.

I am in favor of adjusting the laws to stop squatting of this kind where someone's house gets stolen. Its only receiving treatment though because of a recent spate of attention on youtube. Youtubers pointed out the problem. Go youtubers.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What's new has been de facto legal protections
for squatters, & an increase in squatting.
And note that this differs from
a type called "adverse possession",
"adverse possession" is a term that has been around at least a couple hundred years. New on a geological time scale I suppose.

Kfox

I am talking about abandoned property. I have no idea what you are talking about.
I'm talking about Squatters breaking into your house when you are not there, and setting up shop, forcing the home owner to live on the streets till they can save up enough money to evict them. If the property were abandoned, nobody would care who lives there.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I'm talking about Squatters breaking into your house when you are not there, and setting up shop, forcing the home owner to live on the streets till they can save up enough money to evict them. If the property were abandoned, nobody would care who lives there.
source please
Like the wise McBell, I would also like to see a source for this. Then perhaps I will talk about it. But until then, I am talking about people squatting on abandoned property.