• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Governor DeSantis Signs Law Against Squatters

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well it looks like Florida took the bull by the horns and are finally standing up for homeowner rights vs squatters rights.
It is about time all States took a closer look at their laws on squatters.
For once something that I can agree with. I do not know if immigrants are more likely to do that. I know of various "sovereign citizen" groups that sometimes are guilty of this. I think that it just might be that people are more noticeable when they are of a different race and break the laws.

F1fan

Veteran Member
As a former rental owner who had to deal with tenants who did not pay rent, and having friends who experienced the same, I am in favor of such laws. In Missouri a non-paying tenant can remain in a property for 6 months before eviction. It hurts everyone because landlords are demanding more rent to cover costs, and demand harsher background checks. Those who have fallen into hard times will find themselves unable to rent anything.

PureX

Veteran Member
Isn't it already illegal to trespass on someone else's property?
I think the problem is in determining who is squatting and who is the legit owner and how the squatters got there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scams involving renting and subletting and the like that can cause people to move into a place thinking they've paid for that right only to find out that the person they rented it from never owned it in the first place. And a lot of towns and cities are very poor at keeping up with their records. So police wouldn't know who to believe, and then it becomes a problem for the courts, and that takes a long time.

Last edited:

Pogo

As a former rental owner who had to deal with tenants who did not pay rent, and having friends who experienced the same, I am in favor of such laws. In Missouri a non-paying tenant can remain in a property for 6 months before eviction. It hurts everyone because landlords are demanding more rent to cover costs, and demand harsher background checks. Those who have fallen into hard times will find themselves unable to rent anything.
California and NY like wise, Evicting a non paying tenant is way harder than it should be.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think the problem is a lot bigger then a "non-paying tenant". The well-off half of our population is driving the other half of the population deeper ns deeper into poverty. People squatting in other people's property is just one tiny symptom of a catastrophic socio-ecinomic failure that's going on. And kicking those people out into the streets may satisfy the well-off half of the population but it's only going to exacerbate the bigger problem. Because the half of the population that is being forced into deep poverty is reaching the point where they no longer care about the laws and the property rights of the well-off half. And once we hit that tipping point all hell is going to break loose.

It's wrong that property owners are getting saddled with this problem, but ignoring the cause and pushing the burden onto the poor is not a solution. And it's all only going to get a lot worse as a result.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the problem is in determining who is squatting and who is the legit owner and how the squatters got there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of scams involving renting and subletting and the like that can cause people to move into a place thinking they've paid for that right only to find out that the person they rented it from never owned it in the first place. And a lot of towns and cities are very poor at keeping up with their records. So police wouldn't know who to believe, and then it becomes a problem for the courts, and that takes a long time.

It sounds like these are vacant or otherwise unoccupied properties owned by absentee landlords. It's not really about "standing up for homeowner rights," since the owners are not actually living in the properties in dispute. That makes them "business owners," not "homeowners.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For once something that I can agree with. I do not know if immigrants are more likely to do that. I know of various "sovereign citizen" groups that sometimes are guilty of this. I think that it just might be that people are more noticeable when they are of a different race and break the laws.
From the many cases of squatters
I've seen, it's a rainbow affair.

Kfox

It sounds like these are vacant or otherwise unoccupied properties owned by absentee landlords. It's not really about "standing up for homeowner rights," since the owners are not actually living in the properties in dispute. That makes them "business owners," not "homeowners.
Every state is different, but in my state all someone had to do was claim you are a landlord and they were renting from you, (they are not required to show an actual signed lease) and you would have to go through the legal eviction process which in my state costs around $4,000 and takes several months. You could be out of town for a couple of days, and someone could break into your house and do this; as long as they fix whatever damage ensued via their forced entry because the cops will look for evidence of forced entry (broken window, damaged locks etc). so as long as they knew what they were doing they could get away with it for a few months while you evict them. But recently they changed it; if someone claims to have been living in your home, they are now required to provide proof; ( paid bill, signed lease, etc.) to prove they have been living there for at least 4 months otherwise the cops will arrest them for trespassing. But that's just my state, there have been cases elsewhere where "professional squatters" (who knew the laws and what they need to do to get away with it) would go from house to house doing this living off their victims for free.

Last edited:

Kfox

I think the problem is a lot bigger then a "non-paying tenant". The well-off half of our population is driving the other half of the population deeper ns deeper into poverty. People squatting in other people's property is just one tiny symptom of a catastrophic socio-ecinomic failure that's going on. And kicking those people out into the streets may satisfy the well-off half of the population but it's only going to exacerbate the bigger problem. Because the half of the population that is being forced into deep poverty is reaching the point where they no longer care about the laws and the property rights of the well-off half. And once we hit that tipping point all hell is going to break loose.

It's wrong that property owners are getting saddled with this problem, but ignoring the cause and pushing the burden onto the poor is not a solution. And it's all only going to get a lot worse as a result.
I think it is a bit naive to assume these are poor people who have been pushed to the point of squatting on other people's property, these are people who know the law, they know exactly how to break into your house, what they need to tell the cops and the type of repairs needed to be done in order to fool the cops into not knowing who to believe, and they are taking advantage of a loophole in the law that allows them the opportunity to live at someone else's house for free.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think it is a bit naive to assume these are poor people who have been pushed to the point of squatting on other people's property, these are people who know the law, they know exactly how to break into your house, what they need to tell the cops and the type of repairs needed to be done in order to fool the cops into not knowing who to believe, and they are taking advantage of a loophole in the law that allows them the opportunity to live at someone else's house for free.
I think it's a bit naive and callous to presume that people do this sort of thing even though they could afford not to. But it's certainly a handy idea for those that want to ignore the desperate economic reality facing millions of their fellow humans, and fellow citizens.

Kfox

I think it's a bit naive and callous to presume that people do this sort of thing even though they could afford not to. But it's certainly a handy idea for those that want to ignore the desperate economic reality facing millions of their fellow humans, and fellow citizens.
But we've always had the poor; why is this only recently become a popular thing?