• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods with no beginning

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Humans understand beginnings, endings, first and last as words we use to speak about things that are subject to the Laws of the Universe. Time and space exist within the Universe and this was Created by GOD, who exists outside of His creation.
I agree with this. The God I believe in is completely outside of the human parameters religious people try to contain It inside of.

Which is why I just cannot believe humans when they tell me stuff about God. I know that they aren't telling me about God, they are telling me about themselves.
Tom

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I agree with this. The God I believe in is completely outside of the human parameters religious people try to contain It inside of.

Which is why I just cannot believe humans when they tell me stuff about God. I know that they aren't telling me about God, they are telling me about themselves.
Tom
Are you still a Deist? (I was speaking into my phone and it typed out dentist :D)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Are you still a Deist? (I was speaking into my phone and it typed out dentist :D)
Yes.
The reason I am not a theist is because I don't find human descriptions of God at all credible. Most religious god images resemble some human archetype. "Warrior King"(that's the Abrahamic god), Mother, Divine Royal Family (that's the Hellenistic pantheon) , etc. I see God as more like gravity, or something. God is the reason that there is something, rather than nothing. Why Reality exists. Not some human with superpowers.
Tom
Eta~ This is why I see science as the way to learn about and get closer to God~

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Yes.
The reason I am not a theist is because I don't find human descriptions of God at all credible. Most religious god images resemble some human archetype. "Warrior King"(that's the Abrahamic god),
That's not anything like the description given in the Qur'an. You have to remember the Old Testament is a collection of God's word mixed with the history of the Israelites, wars, conquests and their understanding of the World and how it came into being, together with 'their' understanding of God.

So which of the deities that you know about off the top of your head had no beginning?

It seems most of the deities I read about have parents, therefore have a beginning.

If God always existed, what did he do before he created other spirits and people?

Does anyone else find it quite difficult to fathom having no beginning... Always existing... That means 500 trillion years ago or the equivalent of that, God would have been doing or pondering something ... What do you think he did?
I think no one can know god, there is no forgiveness. In theory there is one god, but we are all our own gods, whether we like it or not. When we can't understand something it's so frustrating, and I attribute it to people adding to the confusion instead of looking for answers.

Beginning and endings only apply to what's inside of the Universe.

GOD* is outside, thus the concept of start finish, beginning and ending are irrelevant. Some people worship Gods that exist inside of the Universe, and yes they would have a beginning point, but we are talking about *The GOD.

Most people are unable to fathom something that has no beginning, and others like to ask, well ok, who created GOD then :/
We each create ourselves, and god, and unfortunately we get a lot of help creating ourselves from the people around us.

Profound Realization

So which of the deities that you know about off the top of your head had no beginning?

It seems most of the deities I read about have parents, therefore have a beginning.

If God always existed, what did he do before he created other spirits and people?

Does anyone else find it quite difficult to fathom having no beginning... Always existing... That means 500 trillion years ago or the equivalent of that, God would have been doing or pondering something ... What do you think he did?

I find it both difficult to fathom having no beginning and having a beginning. For "God" or for "Nature" or the "Universe" or the "Cosmos."

Although time is a way to micromanage, organize, communicate, measure things.... part of me knows and exists within that as I have no choice and the other part of me takes no thought or concern for time. It's like a marriage of finite and infinity, if put in words the best I'm able to do.

When the mind is completely still and at rest, I don't think or take thoughts for anything. I just simply be and do, and these states are wonderful and awe-filled. But those are just glimpses and periods of what appears to be timelessness. So while I can't fathom "God" or what "God" (if exists) would be doing as a single entity, I could only imagine that it wouldn't be thinking/pondering... doing anything but simply being as "Spirit" or as a field of energy where time doesn't exist.

I also don't know what a deity is, I could be a deity . .Half God, half human. Part of me with a beginning(having time) and part of me with no beginning(having timelessness.)

Last edited:

Mohsen

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
I would imagine Time and Space do not exist as we understand it outside of the Universe.

This is how GOD describes Himself in 4 short lines:

Say, "He is Allah, [who is] One,
Allah, the Eternal Refuge.
He neither begets nor is born,
Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

This requires mind blowing explanations:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Augustine of Hippo said to Yahweh, anni tui omnes simul stant ─ 'all your years stand simultaneously', the notion that there's such a place as 'outside spacetime' and that Yahweh is there.

That comes with its own problem. In this 'outside time' place there must be some kind of meta-time, otherwise there'd be no time. And if no time, then no change of any kind, simply the stasis of a old photograph.

If that's correct, then we need an exchange rate between time and meta-time, but 1000 time years = 1 meta-time day (365,250:1) is not the same as all years standing simultaneously in the Yahwehan gaze. So it's a mystery.

As for the problem of beginnings, my own view is that if spacetime is a property of energy (or mass-energy, if you prefer the term), rather than that energy exists within spacetime, then there's no problem with beginnings: time exists because energy exists, so the existence of energy is all you'd need.

Last edited:

Baroodi

(He is the First and the last, The Evident and the Covert and He is omniscient) Noble Quran:57:3
He is Azali(nothing was before him as in Arabic) and eternal. Quran didn't use the word Azali but described the oldness of God by the First which means nothing was there before him. A believer should not imagine about the entity of God, as it is totally imaginable unfathomable at all by the extreme human brain limitation in this regard
(The science You were given was so minute) Noble Quran 17:85

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Why?
The concept of "wizard" is nearly as old as humanity. But not older.
Same with "god".
Tom

God is a name...I cannot conceive God. I have an idea of qualities but I could be mistaken but I compartmentalize these qualities. As far as wizards there is no proof of Wizardry during hunter-gatherer society., Nor any ancient African traditions.