• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods with no beginning

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So which of the deities that you know about off the top of your head had no beginning?

It seems most of the deities I read about have parents, therefore have a beginning.

If God always existed, what did he do before he created other spirits and people?

Does anyone else find it quite difficult to fathom having no beginning... Always existing... That means 500 trillion years ago or the equivalent of that, God would have been doing or pondering something ... What do you think he did?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
So which of the deities that you know about off the top of your head had no beginning?

It seems most of the deities I read about have parents, therefore have a beginning.

If God always existed, what did he do before he created other spirits and people?

Does anyone else find it quite difficult to fathom having no beginning... Always existing... That means 500 trillion years ago or the equivalent of that, God would have been doing or pondering something ... What do you think he did?
I suspect that the whole "god has no beginning" is nothing more than a catch phrase that some people think wins them an argument.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I suspect that the whole "god has no beginning" is nothing more than a catch phrase that some people think wins them an argument.
Agreed. The workaround is when you get into some pretty warped mental gymnastics to "prove" the point. Given that one cannot prove, or even give good evidence that god exists, it is more than a little difficult to offer any evidence of any of said beings qualities.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Humans understand beginnings, endings, first and last as words we use to speak about things that are subject to the Laws of the Universe. Time and space exist within the Universe and this was Created by GOD, who exists outside of His creation.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Humans understand beginnings, endings, first and last as words we use to speak about things that are subject to the Laws of the Universe. Time and space exist within the Universe and this was Created by GOD, who exists outside of His creation.
Which does not in the least little bit explain or even address no beginning for god....

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Which does not in the least little bit explain or even address no beginning for god....

Beginning and endings only apply to what's inside of the Universe.

GOD* is outside, thus the concept of start finish, beginning and ending are irrelevant. Some people worship Gods that exist inside of the Universe, and yes they would have a beginning point, but we are talking about *The GOD.

Most people are unable to fathom something that has no beginning, and others like to ask, well ok, who created GOD then :/

MonkeyFire

I had perfectly existed forever in always before, where numbers can't be counted, until the devil created himself along with, hate and suffering, and I began to live and die, but like a phoenix I rose out of this ash and dust and suffering will go to naught and I will become infinite and ever after will begin finally.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
A fair question, as even outside our universe something would need to have a beginning to exist, even if it's unfathomable to us.
I would imagine Time and Space do not exist as we understand it outside of the Universe.

This is how GOD describes Himself in 4 short lines:

Say, "He is Allah, [who is] One,
Allah, the Eternal Refuge.
He neither begets nor is born,
Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Allah is not created fool, you just said that.
You appeared to be talking about human souls when you wrote, "I had perfectly existed forever in always before, where numbers can't be counted, until the devil created himself along with, hate and suffering, and I began to live and die."

What did this fool miss?

MonkeyFire

You appeared to be talking about human souls when you wrote, "I had perfectly existed forever in always before, where numbers can't be counted, until the devil created himself along with, hate and suffering, and I began to live and die."

What did this fool miss?

The universe got destroyed by the devil, so now God can save and create.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I would imagine Time and Space do not exist as we understand it outside of the Universe.
In one of my video games, every five minutes of my time is one hour in-game. Imagine, for a moment, that a denizen of this game world was sentient, as we are. Their land has boundaries, history, rules of physics, etc. Imagine that they were able to break free of that world, and enter our own; time would be so much different for them. Reality would be so much more different. Yet it would be, unfathomable as it is. And our existence has a beginning.

Just because something might exist "as we don't understand it" doesn't mean that it has no beginning. To claim so as a fact is not only ridiculous, it's somewhat dishonest when the truer course is to just either admit that one believes this to be the case (rather than know,) or that one simply doesn't know.

This is how GOD describes Himself in 4 short lines:
Nothing but a claim written by men.

We are told in our Scripture revealed from GOD.
Which makes the belief of souls a belief, not a fact.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Beginning and endings only apply to what's inside of the Universe.

GOD* is outside, thus the concept of start finish, beginning and ending are irrelevant. Some people worship Gods that exist inside of the Universe, and yes they would have a beginning point, but we are talking about *The GOD.

Most people are unable to fathom something that has no beginning, and others like to ask, well ok, who created GOD then :/
Once again you do not address the thread topic.