• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods with no beginning

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
So which of the deities that you know about off the top of your head had no beginning?

It seems most of the deities I read about have parents, therefore have a beginning.

If God always existed, what did he do before he created other spirits and people?

Does anyone else find it quite difficult to fathom having no beginning... Always existing... That means 500 trillion years ago or the equivalent of that, God would have been doing or pondering something ... What do you think he did?
In Hinduism, neither God nor the creation has a beginning or an end.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So which of the deities that you know about off the top of your head had no beginning?
Deity.

It seems most of the deities I read about have parents, therefore have a beginning.
Myths will do that to you.

If God always existed, what did he do before he created other spirits and people?
Everything.

Does anyone else find it quite difficult to fathom having no beginning... Always existing... That means 500 trillion years ago or the equivalent of that, God would have been doing or pondering something ... What do you think he did?
I find it quite difficult to take seriously questions that caricaturize deity. And I'm an atheist.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Deity.

Myths will do that to you.

Everything.

I find it quite difficult to take seriously questions that caricaturize deity. And I'm an atheist.
I'm sorry you didn't like my post. I accept your correction... Thank you for correcting me about my immaturity

Grandliseur

Being ignorant about such things, but knowing human existence as I do, ask yourself how much time do you spend just enjoying a quiet book, beer, sitting perhaps in the garden, just not doing anything serious!
When we are told that God rested on the 7th day, it didn't mean that he was tired. It meant that he took time out to enjoy his labors.
So, while God's thoughts are higher than humans, creating suns and planets, a billion galaxies, etc. complex life-form design, cellular machines - they still turn about things that matter. To a small degree, probably very small, we can only think thoughts made possible by his software and hardware, and, in this sense, perhaps we emulate a little of his thought processes.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
i believe existence has no beginnings, though our universe did.

and you would think somewhere in existence intelligent life was somewhere in it.

it's nice to think there is an eternal past of none beginnings and an infinite everywhere.

and that though human existence ends, existence itself has no end.

those are awesome things to try and fathom.

life is a progressive inevitability.

King Phenomenon

i find it help

For me I find it easier to accept no beginning or to accept God as he is today rather than fathoming these things.

King Phenomenon

What also helps me accept his mysterious ways is to think that the word beginning usually comes with an ending of which i dont see happening ever.

Grandliseur

the notion that there's such a place as 'outside spacetime' and that Yahweh is there.
I am not sure if Augustine's claim
'all your years stand simultaneously'
is true or not, I am not even sure I understand what that statement means in real time.
That comes with its own problem. In this 'outside time' place there must be some kind of meta-time, otherwise there'd be no time. And if no time, then no change of any kind, simply the statis of a old photograph.
The teaching may be verified fairly clearly, whether this is accepted or not. Our reality is a subset to the original one according to the teaching; i.e. it is a created one, perhaps even a virtual one in a sense. (this last thing is just ruminations of my own.) The teaching is that there is a beginning to time, and that beginning began when God began creating, in this case, created the first being, a copy of himself where we see the sun and moon being held up as examples, metaphors, of the original and the copy.

Example - useless or useful?
If you create a universe in your imagination. This universe contains only one thing, being it a sphere or a cube, take your pick. That is the extend of the contents of this universe.
Can it move, up down, right left, forwards backwards? No! It cannot. Can it rotate? No. It cannot. Does it experience time? Most likely not.
It lacks exterior reference points for any of the things just mentioned to occur.

Speaking with the only kind of logic I have, human, it seems that until God created another being to create a reference point, that time didn't exist in the way we understand it. He might have experienced internal time keeping if he has an internal mechanism and reference points.

Whatever the case is, the teaching is that time had a beginning back at that point.
I am sure that I am in over my head in this.
Possible scenarios
There is a scripture that could be interpreted as meaning that all creation is inside of God; of course, other interpretations might be possible.

Even the Big Bang theory postulates that for our universe, time began at its inflation. That is as far as my studies are concerned and have been postulated by scientists. Since many now espouse the idea of a multiverse, this could mean that time began for each universe, each pane, at different times when related to the whole multiverse.

Thus, the idea that time had a beginning is not unique.

Last edited:

I find the idea of 'no beginning' interesting, but find inserting a god into the picture to be an extranious step that makes the whole idea messy and complicated.

If time is a property of space, the what came before is literally timeless. No beginning, no end, no now.

Something caused a transition from 'no timespace' to 'timespace' to be sure, but to insert an agency as the cause undermines everything, as that agency would have to behave accordingly with timespace to create the thing. It's not an answer, it's a convolution of the question.

japer

japer

If God is infinite and ubiquitous

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Beginning and endings only apply to what's inside of the Universe.

GOD* is outside, thus the concept of start finish, beginning and ending are irrelevant. Some people worship Gods that exist inside of the Universe, and yes they would have a beginning point, but we are talking about *The GOD.

Most people are unable to fathom something that has no beginning, and others like to ask, well ok, who created GOD then :/
So you think that the universe itself doesn't need a creator?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I agree with this. The God I believe in is completely outside of the human parameters religious people try to contain It inside of.

Which is why I just cannot believe humans when they tell me stuff about God. I know that they aren't telling me about God, they are telling me about themselves.
Tom
Ironically, the exact same post where @Muslim-UK said that God was beyond human understanding was chock-full of claims about God.

The moment someone says that their god is beyond human understanding, they're implicitly admitting that anything else they say about their god (e.g. "God is outside of the universe" or "the universe is God's creation") is made-up, unjustified nonsense.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
GOD is the Creator of the known Universe. Being outside of it, He is not subject to any of the rules governing the Universe, that was the point I was trying to convey.
The universe is not inside the universe. You said that things not inside the universe don't have a beginning and don't need a creator.

If you misspoke, please feel free to rephrase your position.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
Ironically, the exact same post where @Muslim-UK said that God was beyond human understanding was chock-full of claims about God.
Allow me to clarify; God reveals some of His attributes to us through Prophets and Messengers. Understanding how GOD can exist without a beginning and exactly where outside of the Universe are questions beyond human understanding.

The moment someone says that their god is beyond human understanding, they're implicitly admitting that anything else they say about their god (e.g. "God is outside of the universe" or "the universe is God's creation") is made-up, unjustified nonsense.
No because this information, isn't randomly plucked out of the air, it comes from revealed Scripture.

Muslim-UK

Premium Member
The universe is not inside the universe. You said that things not inside the universe don't have a beginning and don't need a creator.
Everything we observe within the cosmos is within the known Universe. God tells us He is above His creation.