• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's opposition to homosexual behavior. Why?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Specifically, while many people are hurting, most every gay person I've known or encountered witnessing was molested while young and/or had a broken relationship with a same sex parent.

And while I believe that all non-Christians are broken and need healing . . .
Yeah, sure, everyone else is broken, I've seen with absolutely no cognitive bias and could, in no way, support this supposition with anything like fact.
<insert very large eyeroll icon>

And I think fundamentalists turn their fear (of mortality, of not being cosmically significant, of not having moral superiority) and anger (based around the cultural prejudices of ancient people they haven't moved beyond) into being ****ty to others. And that as fundamentalist Christian they are, they are fundamentally broken people.

There, now we're even.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If the 'word' is believed to be from God, then is he not responsible?

But I don't believe "the word" to be from god. I believe it to be pulled from ancient goat herders' posteriors. It's irrational, unsubstantiated, and arbitrary rubbish. I believe that if there is a god, he would be a being of pure love and pure logic. Therefore, anything devoid of reason or compassion cannot be of god.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Take the word ( abomination ) which means -- extreme hatred.

Therefore when God said "You shalt not lie with mankind , as with womankind, it is abomination" Leviticus 18:22

Therefore it is Extreme Hatred. Abomination does mean, Extreme Hatred.

So who has Extreme Hatred if not God for man lieing with man, as he would a woman?
Who? Why, whoever wrote the Bible texts that make that case. But here's a hint for you -- that writer was NOT God. That writer was a human being who had the immense hubris to think he could speak for "God," and do so authoritatively. Human culture is full to the brim of ridiculously conflicting religious texts -- all of them written by humans making the same claim, and all of them at very real odds with one another.

The one thing -- the only thing -- that is absolutely clear about this putative, only "God," is that all this confusion proves conclusively that either no such being exists -- or he has a more fragmented personality than Sybil.

Faithofchristian

Who? Why, whoever wrote the Bible texts that make that case. But here's a hint for you -- that writer was NOT God. That writer was a human being who had the immense hubris to think he could speak for "God," and do so authoritatively. Human culture is full to the brim of ridiculously conflicting religious texts -- all of them written by humans making the same claim, and all of them at very real odds with one another.

The one thing -- the only thing -- that is absolutely clear about this putative, only "God," is that all this confusion proves conclusively that either no such being exists -- or he has a more fragmented personality than Sybil.

That man, as you claim, was chosen by God to write down exactly what he was inspired by God what to write.

First of all the Thread is not about whether God exists or not.

The Thread is about ( God's opposition to homosexual behavior,Why?)

So to get into a discussion about whether God exists or not, is not what this Thread is about.
But if you wish to get into the discussion about homosexual behavior.

If you would read the sign over the room before you enter the room it does read

( God's opposition to homosexual behavior.Why?)

Kelly of the Phoenix

Men trying to push a certain religion need more followers and homosexuals don't reproduce so they do not 'grow the faith' through raising families.
They could if God were all powerful. God can make humans out of dirt and virgin girls, but can't make a kid from two guys.

Sexual perversion will send you to hell. Attraction will not.
God made a man have sex with his twin sister to start up humanity.

engaged in the Xian F-word (fornication)
I'm a virgin, so, yeah, I'm actually pretty good on that one. :p

What they understood was sexual perversion.
Given the messed up sexual rules they had and how many siblings were married to each other and how often consent isn't even an issue, I doubt they knew anything about sexual perversion.

As for why and how despisal of homosexuality would be a value for them, I can only guess.
It's made harder with all the misogyny. If they only believe in two genders and the men don't like women, what other options are there?

God created male and female for the purpose of having children.
There are species with lots of genders and they reproduce just fine. How come God can't make it so everyone can have kids?

It probably has to do with it leading to promiscuous sex. My homosexual friends and acquaintances died of aids and STD. JMO.
Heteros die of it too and exposure can be through methods other than sex.

Homosexuaslity defeats the purpose of the evolutionary goal, and is an evolutionary failure.
Not if God can do anything. If a virgin girl can have a kid, so can two guys.

He designed the sexual organs for that purpose
And it took Adam going through all the nonhumans in the Garden before God figured out the same species was needed.

Or how about sex between a deeply devoted man and his loving tortoise ?
I'd like to see an example.

Some questions of God we have no business Asking, he is the omnipotent creator, we are simply the created.
We can ask why His omnipotence seems to have curious limitations.

Love your enemy ? I want to hate my enemy.
God is a hypocrite. He isn't exactly going out to a movie with Satan in Revelation.

No eye for an eye, there have been times when I wanted to execute immediate righteous revenge, but I chose to follow God.
God invented "an eye for an eye", though.

Homosexuality violates God's standard, he hasn';t told me why, I accept it in faith because I know he is God.
You should question more. Abraham could haggle with God over not nuking two cities. Gideon could make God jump through several hoops just to "prove" He's God. Nobody was killed for such things.

The NT tells we believers that we must respect and love all people, offer them kindness always. It also tells us for our own good what our behavior should be.
If we must treat others as we wish to be treated, loving consensual relationships between legally consenting adult humans should be valued regardless of the genders involved.

By Gods standards we are given the right to judge actions.
You just want to exempt God from being judged by His own standards, right?

Au contraire. In ancient Rome and ancient Greece homosexual behavior among males was quite acceptable.
And Greece had famous lesbian poets. And the rest of the world (because there is more to life than Europe) had gay and bi and trans people too.

why would Paul out of blue would start discussing homosexuals, anyway?
I imagine Paul wasn't getting laid.

I know I'VE been told that I'm not really celibate. I am just bitter no one will have sex with me.

What makes you presume our attitude toward homosexuals would be any different than those 'dirty backward primitives' if we lived then and among that culture?
Considering being pro-LGBTQ would result in stoning ...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Yeah. Thats why I wonder why homosexuality defined by scripture is tied into LGBTQ. There were no "identities" that I read in scripture that tells us people who were sexually wild were all gay. :(

They could if God were all powerful. God can make humans out of dirt and virgin girls, but can't make a kid from two guys

This made me laugh....should I call it a night?

shmogie

They could if God were all powerful. God can make humans out of dirt and virgin girls, but can't make a kid from two guys.

Given the messed up sexual rules they had and how many siblings were married to each other and how often consent isn't even an issue, I doubt they knew anything about sexual perversion.

It's made harder with all the misogyny. If they only believe in two genders and the men don't like women, what other options are there?

There are species with lots of genders and they reproduce just fine. How come God can't make it so everyone can have kids?

And it took Adam going through all the nonhumans in the Garden before God figured out the same species was needed.

God is a hypocrite. He isn't exactly going out to a movie with Satan in Revelation.

You should question more. Abraham could haggle with God over not nuking two cities. Gideon could make God jump through several hoops just to "prove" He's God. Nobody was killed for such things.

If we must treat others as we wish to be treated, loving consensual relationships between legally consenting adult humans should be valued regardless of the genders involved.

And Greece had famous lesbian poets. And the rest of the world (because there is more to life than Europe) had gay and bi and trans people too.

I know I'VE been told that I'm not really celibate. I am just bitter no one will have sex with me.

Gads, comments taken out of context and conclusions based on complete theological and historical error. Pap

Jason.D.King

If the 'word' is believed to be from God, then is he not responsible?

I am not sure why people are ignoring my argument here... is it because they are stuck on black and white thinking? The verses were translated incorrectly intentionally. My wall of text that you guys seem to find so offensive shows this. There is not a single verse in the bible that condemns homosexuality.

socharlie

12For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.” Matt. 9

Jason.D.King

Yes, but you are ignoring the fact that after the man who wrote it down, many, many, many years later it was translated by men motivated by politics.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I am not sure why people are ignoring my argument here... is it because they are stuck on black and white thinking? The verses were translated incorrectly intentionally. My wall of text that you guys seem to find so offensive shows this. There is not a single verse in the bible that condemns homosexuality.

Arguments get ignored. It happens. I'll agree that it should be given consideration.

I've been observing. Debating rather to enter this discussion or not, since it was asked in an Abrahamic context. I find the idea of homosexuality being immoral quite a non-issue to my own view.

The following are "typical interpretations by religious conservatives" as presented by Religioustolerance.org.

Genesis 19 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior, whether by two men, two women, within a loving committed relationship or a "one-night stand."

Leviticus 18:22 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Leviticus 20:13 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Romans 1:26-27 Condemns all homosexual behavior as unnatural.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Sexually active homosexuals will go to Hell, not Heaven, at death. Once truly saved, homosexuals will become heterosexuals.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Jude 1:7 Sexually active homosexuals will go to Hell, not Heaven, at death.
source

If one accepts the passages cited as those inspired of god, and their interpretation in accordance with conservative Christian understanding, can anyone explain why the Christian god finds homosexuality "detestable" and worthy of "punishment of eternal fire"?

I know I'm asking people here to second guess god and his reasoning, but because so many Christians are keen to speak for him on numerous issues I figure some here would have a good insight into his thinking. So, Just what is it about showing sexual affection toward someone of the same sex that turns off god? Is it just some eeeeew factor, or does it go deeper than this?

If the only reason is because God said it, then that is good enough, but as with all sins we can see the affects of sin on the world. We see that today, broken families are the route causes when it comes to many societal problems. A man brings something to the table as well as a female. Men in the home according to the Bible have specific roles. The man is to provide for the family and make the big decisions in the house, being the leader. he wife is to be the caretaker for the children, as we have seen through science, the care of a mother is necessary when raising a healthy baby. The male and female are to raise the child thus allowing the child to develop through feminine and masculine persuasion. I am aware that the homosexual is not able to reproduce. But many do choose to adopt and I am certain we will begin to see the repercussions. Like I said, we don't need an explanation, but we sure can find one if we so choose to look.

Jason.D.King

Arguments get ignored. It happens. I'll agree that it should be given consideration.

I've been observing. Debating rather to enter this discussion or not, since it was asked in an Abrahamic context. I find the idea of homosexuality being immoral quite a non-issue to my own view.

Quite often arguments and truth are ignored. I just feel like if one is going to make any sort of point, they should also look at the history and translation of the text up for debate. The KJV and NIV are not definitive sources, and to exclusively use them, and not the original Hebrew, Greek, and Latin is a mere shame.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I just feel like if one is going to make any sort of point, they should also look at the history and translation of the text up for debate. The KJV and NIV are not definitive sources, and to exclusively use them, and not the original Hebrew, Greek, and Latin is a mere shame.

Oh I quite agree with you Jason. You may call me Gary if you wish.

I've looked into this subject as it happens, just while investigating other religions besides my own.

There is no easy answer to this concerning the 1 Corinthians clobber passage, because Arsenokoitai is a word Paul seems to have coined himself.

This makes it almost impossible to put the word into any kind of surrounding context, and for Koine Greek that is extremely important to understanding what's being conveyed. Koine Greek is not extremely subject specific.

The word Arsenokoitai literally means 'male beds'. That's all...

james bond

That's because the biblical authors had no idea of sexual orientation. What they understood was sexual perversion.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Roman law had no distinction between gay or straight. Roman law explained it much different for its society. I think Christians were against Roman law, which included sexual perversion as legal for its citizens, too. It was okay for abortion, infanticide and beating one's children. So, what is sexual perversion?

Here's one list :eek:.

Top 10 Reasons Ancient Rome Was a Pervert’s Paradise - Toptenz.net

shmogie

Yes, but you are ignoring the fact that after the man who wrote it down, many, many, many years later it was translated by men motivated by politics.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You have none, thus you are expressing an opinion, opinions aren´t facts, opinions prove nothing.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
If the only reason is because God said it, then that is good enough, but as with all sins we can see the affects of sin on the world. We see that today, broken families are the route causes when it comes to many societal problems. A man brings something to the table as well as a female. Men in the home according to the Bible have specific roles. The man is to provide for the family and make the big decisions in the house, being the leader. he wife is to be the caretaker for the children, as we have seen through science, the care of a mother is necessary when raising a healthy baby. The male and female are to raise the child thus allowing the child to develop through feminine and masculine persuasion. I am aware that the homosexual is not able to reproduce. But many do choose to adopt and I am certain we will begin to see the repercussions. Like I said, we don't need an explanation, but we sure can find one if we so choose to look.
Except multiple experts in multiple countries, from multiple disciplines, after multiple studies, have been saying for well over a decade now that there is really no discernible difference between the outcomes for children from opposite sex couples and same sex couples as far as mental, social, sexual and physical success is concerned. This, in spite of the obvious prejudice faced by such children (cough Christians constantly demonizing their families cough)
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ensus_the_Law_and_Same_Sex_Parenting_Outcomes
What We Know Blog | What does the scholarly research say about the wellbeing of children with gay or lesbian parents?
Hell here's one claiming the children raised by same sex parents actually did better. And the only detriment they were facing came from stigma against their families. Hint hint hint!!
Parent-reported measures of child health and wellbeing in same-sex parent families: a cross-sectional survey

Even the occasional study that does show a difference goes out of its way to point the blame at societal stigma against such families. In case that hint wasn't enough for you.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I don't believe in deities (though I do believe in a pantheistic "God", in a vague sense), but regardless, if I did - I don't see any rational reason that a deity would care the slightest about it's creation's sexual habits, seriously.

Why God should care about his creation's attitudes and behaviors,
let them rape and kill each others.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Why God should care about his creation's attitudes and behaviors,
let them rape and kill each others.
Which is exactly what is happening. Your god doesn't care and people are raping and killing each other, yet he expects praise, worship, and adoration. Go figure. And go figure out those who do just this.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Which is exactly what is happening. Your god doesn't care and people are raping and killing each other, yet he expects praise, worship, and adoration. Go figure. And go figure out those who do just this.

If you don't believe that there will be a judgment day, then you may believe that God doesn't care.