• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's opposition to homosexual behavior. Why?

Skwim

Veteran Member
The following are "typical interpretations by religious conservatives" as presented by Religioustolerance.org.

Genesis 19 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior, whether by two men, two women, within a loving committed relationship or a "one-night stand."

Leviticus 18:22 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Leviticus 20:13 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Romans 1:26-27 Condemns all homosexual behavior as unnatural.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Sexually active homosexuals will go to Hell, not Heaven, at death. Once truly saved, homosexuals will become heterosexuals.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Jude 1:7 Sexually active homosexuals will go to Hell, not Heaven, at death.
source

If one accepts the passages cited as those inspired of god, and their interpretation in accordance with conservative Christian understanding, can anyone explain why the Christian god finds homosexuality "detestable" and worthy of "punishment of eternal fire"?

I know I'm asking people here to second guess god and his reasoning, but because so many Christians are keen to speak for him on numerous issues I figure some here would have a good insight into his thinking. So, Just what is it about showing sexual affection toward someone of the same sex that turns off god? Is it just some eeeeew factor, or does it go deeper than this?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If one accepts the passages cited as those inspired of god, and their interpretation in accordance with conservative Christian understanding, can anyone explain why the Christian god finds homosexuality "detestable" and worthy of "punishment of eternal fire"?

Too many IF's in that sentence. You are using your point of view to construct a so-called question. And you pulled out one passage rather than looking at the whole (see the quote below)

I'll just note that the conservative Christian understanding is just one way of interpreting those passages and one which in no way binds me.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibh5.htm
Translations and interpretations of Leviticus 18:22; all views

Some interpret the passage literally, arguing that it says men must not lie with men, period, end-of-story. There's historical precedent for literal interpretation. But it seems to me that literalism is an all-or-nothing proposition. If one interprets that passage literally, one must also regard as טמא/tamei (ritually unclean) anyone who touches a weasel, a mouse, a gecko or monitor lizard. (Until sundown, anyway.) When a man dies without a son, the literalist must order his brother to marry the newly-widowed woman so she can bear a son in her deceased husband's name. These are, after all, the laws.

(Re)Reading Leviticus 18:22

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I know I'm asking people here to second guess god and his reasoning, but because so many Christians are keen to speak for him on numerous issues I figure some here would have a good insight into his thinking. So, Just what is it about showing sexual affection toward someone of the same sex that turns off god? Is it just some eeeeew factor, or does it go deeper than this?

If God has a problem with homosexuals why did he create them?

I think it's easier to explain. Men trying to push a certain religion need more followers and homosexuals don't reproduce so they do not 'grow the faith' through raising families. The easiest way to deal with that is to condemn them, demonize them, and threaten them with damnation. It's all about asses in the seats, in the end... Those asses pay tithes, etc.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Too many IF's in that sentence. You are using your point of view to construct a so-called question. And you pulled out one passage rather than looking at the whole (see the quote below)
One (1) "if" is too many? Hmmm.

God's scared he won't have enough for himself :pJ
Ouch!

If God has a problem with homosexuals why did he create them?
Of course, this could be asked about all of humanity.

I think it's easier to explain. Men trying to push a certain religion need more followers and homosexuals don't reproduce so they do not 'grow the faith' through raising families. The easiest way to deal with that is to condemn them, demonize them, and threaten them with damnation. It's all about asses in the seats, in the end... Those asses pay tithes, etc.
Okay. :rolleyes:

Frater Sisyphus

Contradiction, irrationality and disorder
"Thou shalt not lay with another man but ladies with ladies please keep it up, I am enjoying it from the view I've got up here. I'll tip you!" - Yahweh, in the unpublished gospel

Also, a joke

Frater Sisyphus

I don't believe in deities (though I do believe in a pantheistic "God", in a vague sense), but regardless, if I did - I don't see any rational reason that a deity would care the slightest about it's creation's sexual habits, seriously.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The following are "typical interpretations by religious conservatives" as presented by Religioustolerance.org.
Genesis 19 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior, whether by two men, two women, within a loving committed relationship or a "one-night stand."

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Sexually active homosexuals will go to Hell, not Heaven, at death. Once truly saved, homosexuals will become heterosexuals.

source

They dont.

They disagree with same-sex acts which the bible translator "calls" homosexual but by today's modern standards it is not.

1. Homosexuality (the major -alities) have to do with attraction-physical, mental, spiritual Not action

2. Same-sex practice in scripture was practice by many pagans "regardless" their sexual orientation

Any person not specifically LGBTQ

Yes. Not homosexuality, same-sex actions. Actions not attractions.

Behavior is natural in the sense it can be done without harm. Unnatural in a sense our animalistic body parts are made for procreation. Oral sex excluded as well.

Sexual perversion will send you to hell. Attraction will not.

source

People who act in sexual perversion (LGBT and S) outside marriage will be punished.

Homosexual is a bad translation for sexual attraction. The bible doesnt speak of the attraction we know today. Also, it doesnt speak of LGBTQ who, most, dont refer to ourselves as homosexual because of the bias and inappropriate use of the "religious" word. That and it doesnt refer to peoples identities, so the bible really doesnt talk about homosexuals.

People do.

Frater Sisyphus

Moral law (regarding social etiquette and a code of conduct like anti-murder etc) makes sense from a "I made this creation and I want it to sustain itself, plus hurting or killing each other is detrimental on an individual level. I want my creation to be able sustain a basic, dignified existence when they live" perspective. But worrying about their genitals and where they stick there tongue, sounds extremely counterintuitive and counterproductive to what a deities real concerns should/would be.

Frater Sisyphus

When I read the Bible (cause there are quite a few books in it that I really enjoy reading) and I come to verses like that (well, in certain translations) it feels like a major anti-climax of the previous verse/chapter.

Axe Elf

Prophet
I don't think it's so much a matter of trying to excuse homosexuality because the law is outdated, because the culture is different, or for whatever reason people try to make it seem ok now. But come on, there's very little that anyone anywhere does on a daily basis that is not "worthy of hellfire" in God's eyes. That's why He GAVE us the Law in the first place, so that we could recognize just how impossible it is to avoid being "worthy of hellfire."

There is not one God damned one of you (and I mean that in the most literal sense, because I'm making a point here) that has not eaten shellfish, gossiped, worn clothing woven from two different fabrics, borne false witness, coveted, engaged in the Xian F-word (fornication), or any of a seemingly endless list of things, ANY ONE OF WHICH also dooms you to hellfire. God may or may not oppose homosexuality--but even if He does, He opposes a whole bunch of stuff other people find pretty normal too.

So if I can associate with and care about people who wear clothing woven from two different fabrics, then I can associate with and care about homosexuals. And I can be grateful AF that they are all willing to associate with ME--who lies like a mofo sometimes, who has dishonored my mother and father on occasion, and perhaps chief among my damnable behaviors, who has committed adultery (never childery, mind you, only adultery, but still). I'm not worthy either, and I am in no place to treat people any differently based upon their transgression(s) of choice.

So quit trying to cleanse your consciences and just love 'em all, and let God sort 'em out.

NOTE: I don't actually believe in hellfire, at least not in the eternal sense. I believe in the "second death" or annihilation of the soul described in Revelation 20:15 for anyone who was not appointed to salvation.

Skwim

Veteran Member

They dont.

They disagree with same-sex acts which the bible translator "calls" homosexual but by today's modern standards it is not.

1. Homosexuality (the major -alities) have to do with attraction-physical, mental, spiritual Not action

2. Same-sex practice in scripture was practice by many pagans "regardless" their sexual orientation

Any person not specifically LGBTQ

Yes. Not homosexuality, same-sex actions. Actions not attractions.

Behavior is natural in the sense it can be done without harm. Unnatural in a sense our animalistic body parts are made for procreation. Oral sex excluded as well.

Sexual perversion will send you to hell. Attraction will not.

source

People who act in sexual perversion (LGBT and S) outside marriage will be punished.

Homosexual is a bad translation for sexual attraction. The bible doesnt speak of the attraction we know today. Also, it doesnt speak of LGBTQ who, most, dont refer to ourselves as homosexual because of the bias and inappropriate use of the "religious" word. That and it doesnt refer to peoples identities, so the bible really doesnt talk about homosexuals.

People do.
Applying a new definition doesn't change the old meaning and the act it's applied to. Keep in mind that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Last edited:

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

source

So far as I have heard, there is no logical rationale for condemnation of homosexuality. If anyone tells you there is, IMPE, they are either lying, or think "God says!" qualifies as a rational argument. Now, I can give you an argument as to why someone may choose to follow the Biblical condemnation against homosexuality, but A. be aware it is both upsetting and unsatisfactory to people of a certain mindset, and B. isn't in any way an argument for going out and forcing anyone to abide by said condemnation if they don't care to, for whatever reason.

Frater Sisyphus

Yes Axe, we tend to overlook the other 613 commandments (which aren't all given as "law" like the famed "Ten Commandments" - in Christianity) in the Torah, which don't mention homosexuality as one of the biggest concerns.

Skwim

Veteran Member
So far as I have heard, there is no logical rationale for condemnation of homosexuality. If anyone tells you there is, IMPE, they are either lying, or think "God says!" qualifies as a rational argument. Now, I can give you an argument as to why someone may choose to follow the Biblical condemnation against homosexuality, but A. be aware it is both upsetting and unsatisfactory to people of a certain mindset, and B. isn't in any way an argument for going out and forcing anyone to abide by said condemnation if they don't care to, for whatever reason.
So why do you think god feels homosexuals acts are so bad that their perpetrators deserve to be condemned?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Applying a new definition doesn't change the old meaning and the act it's applied to. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Medically, it means attraction to those of the same sex.
Definition of homosexuality

In the bible it means same sex actions

“The sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted.” 1 Timothy 1:10-11

Where in your scripture does it say homosexuality is about attraction?

Where does it mention anyone in the bible are only LGBTQ?

Last edited:

Axe Elf

Prophet
So why do you think god feels homosexuals acts are so bad that their perpetrators deserve to be condemned?

If I may butt in, it's not just that He feels that way about homosexual acts (if in fact He does), He feels that way about almost everything that we, as humans, do in our carnal, animal, human nature of selfishness. We NEED to have that self-important self-interest in order to survive as a species in the physical universe--it was not a design flaw--but we also NEED to be able to overcome, put aside, or in Xian vernacular, crucify our human nature and take on the divine nature of love in order to survive in the presence of God for eternity.

So whatever we do out of selfish interest is, to God, so bad that the perpetrators (namely, all of us) deserve to be condemned.

idav

Being
Premium Member

source

It’s not just same sex but sex in general god of the bible takes issue. Unless it’s the wife of your dead brother Genesis 38:8-10. I digress though. If you go by the Bible, God looks down on man having sex with women 1 Corinthians 7:1. And the Bible even looks down on sensuality itself Galatians 5:19. Nothing under the sun angers god more than just being human apparently so I would take all that about sex with a grain of salt.

What is most important is the intents of the heart. Matthew 7:16