• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's opposition to homosexual behavior. Why?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Homosexuality does not take someone to Hell per the scriptures. Homosexuality is rather a marker of someone who isn't in touch with the divine plan and who needs help and healing.
Atheists, (just like you say about homosexuals) are "not in touch with the divine plan." Let me assure you, since you seem unaware, that neither athesists nor homosexuals (both of which I am) need either help nor healing. I'm doing dandy, thank you, in a long and loving and (unlike many heterosexual Christians) faithful relationship.

In fact, we're coming through a difficult enough trial for any relationship -- a years-long illness that tests us daily -- and we pass the test. Please don't be condescending about what you don't understand in the slightest.
Many gay friends (and acquaintances) have told me they had broken relationships and/or were molested in their youth.
And the vast majority were not. That brings into question, I think, where you look for your friends. Most of us are simply gay because that's the way our brains are configured -- congenitally.
They are in pain. How about focusing on the pain they experience instead of again taking (wrong) potshots at the scriptures? Or at least acknowledge that again, the Bible is shown as univocal? :)
Once again, a very deep lack of knowledge. Most gay people are in no more pain than straight people, black people, short people, male or female people, short or tall, bald or hirsute or any other kind of people.

Those "potshots at the scriptures," by the way, are actually potshots at the writers of the scriptures, who, two to three thousand years ago, didn't know about a whole lot about how biological life actually works -- so they made it up.

pearl

Therefore, we can rule that anything unintelligent and illogical cannot be of god, regardless of what some silly scrawlings from ancient times may have said.

Homosexuality, as an orientation, was not defined until the 19 cent. To remain in ignorance is a choice, and to blame God is excuse.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Many people have broken relationships and childhood trauma.
And those gays who don't have broken relationships or childhood trauma? What is it they need healing from other than the persistent and incessant pushing by some Christians who constantly tell them they're broken and need healing?

Fortunately, less and less Christians behave this way, even with extreme holdouts in parts of the states.

Specifically, while many people are hurting, most every gay person I've known or encountered witnessing was molested while young and/or had a broken relationship with a same sex parent.

And while I believe that all non-Christians are broken and need healing . . .

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
To be fair the most pain gay people face usually comes from religious people (not all) telling them they are dysfunctional, broken, sinners, abominations or otherwise in opposition to God's plan or nature. Comparing them to child molesters or worse still implying that they are gay specifically because of sexual abuse. Ahem.
Be told that your entire life and it certainly causes one to experience pain.
Also the vast majority of gay people I know had near idyllic childhoods and never experienced abuse. Although I know many heterosexuals who can't say the same of their lives.

I don't know what motivated you to poll the gay community. I have witnessed to many thousands of individuals and have been told nearly 100% of the time by gays that they were molested as children and/or had a broken relationship with a same sex parent or guardian.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Atheists, (just like you say about homosexuals) are "not in touch with the divine plan." Let me assure you, since you seem unaware, that neither athesists nor homosexuals (both of which I am) need either help nor healing. I'm doing dandy, thank you, in a long and loving and (unlike many heterosexual Christians) faithful relationship.

In fact, we're coming through a difficult enough trial for any relationship -- a years-long illness that tests us daily -- and we pass the test. Please don't be condescending about what you don't understand in the slightest.

And the vast majority were not. That brings into question, I think, where you look for your friends. Most of us are simply gay because that's the way our brains are configured -- congenitally.

Once again, a very deep lack of knowledge. Most gay people are in no more pain than straight people, black people, short people, male or female people, short or tall, bald or hirsute or any other kind of people.

Those "potshots at the scriptures," by the way, are actually potshots at the writers of the scriptures, who, two to three thousand years ago, didn't know about a whole lot about how biological life actually works -- so they made it up.

I'm glad you are in community with people you feel are solid, but I've witnessed to thousands of individuals, and almost to a person, each gay person told me they were molested as a child and/or had a broken relationship with a same sex parent.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know what motivated you to poll the gay community. I have witnessed to many thousands of individuals and have been told nearly 100% of the time by gays that they were molested as children and/or had a broken relationship with a same sex parent or guardian.

What motivates you to poll the entirety of the gay community? Or abused children?
May I have some legitimate statistics on that, please?
Because I can just as easily point out the 1 in 6 statistic (for boys being sexually abused, the ones reported anyway) and again point out that many turn out straight. Strange how that's never addressed by people pushing such a narrative. Hmm.

Also it is the height of dispicable condescension to pretty much claim all or most gay people are gay because of abuse. Which is demonstratively false, just saying. And then to have the sheer audacity to feign concern as if you are trying to help the situation. But in the same breath push a pretty destructive myth about not just gay people but abused children in general. Like they're some sort of shield or pawn you can trot out to justify homophobic behaviours.
That's well into the "how do you sleep at night" territory right there.
Like wow.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Homosexuality, as an orientation, was not defined until the 19 cent. To remain in ignorance is a choice, and to blame God is excuse.

We as a species and as a civilization have learned, developed, and advanced over the millennia. We've gained a great deal of knowledge and understanding since ancient times. It's those who wish to use the social norms of ancient primitives as a moral compass that choose to remain in ignorance.
And how is anyone "blaming god"? Again, silly books penned by bronze age savages don't represent god.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm glad you are in community with people you feel are solid, but I've witnessed to thousands of individuals, and almost to a person, each gay person told me they were molested as a child and/or had a broken relationship with a same sex parent.

I think someone is being dishonest, which is considered a sin, correct?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Provide the evidence. I have some sympathy with your view, even if it is entirely wrong, since I was sexually abused by an older boy as a child - something which he apparently doesn't regard as abuse - and suffered because of this for a number of years afterwards. I was not in the least sexually attracted to other boys before the abuse - just developing a sexuality then - and haven't since, so it was more an interjection into my normal development. It did affect my confidence and trust in others, and also made me question my sexuality, along with harming any natural tendency to get closer to others. But I survived intact - sexually that is.

However, I would hardly see my situation as being that common, and I did overcome it, even if it left lasting damage.

The same argument you have made is often used with regards paedophilia, that sexual abuse in childhood could be responsible for paedophilia later. Unfortunately, the evidence doesn't stack up, since it is quite variable, and it cannot be concluded that such abuse necessarily leads to paedophilia. But, the likelihood of developing paedophilia in females is apparently more related to such abuse than in males.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

The following are "typical interpretations by religious conservatives" as presented by Religioustolerance.org.

Genesis 19 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior, whether by two men, two women, within a loving committed relationship or a "one-night stand."

Leviticus 18:22 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Leviticus 20:13 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Romans 1:26-27 Condemns all homosexual behavior as unnatural.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Sexually active homosexuals will go to Hell, not Heaven, at death. Once truly saved, homosexuals will become heterosexuals.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 Condemns all same-sex sexual behavior.

Jude 1:7 Sexually active homosexuals will go to Hell, not Heaven, at death.
source

If one accepts the passages cited as those inspired of god, and their interpretation in accordance with conservative Christian understanding, can anyone explain why the Christian god finds homosexuality "detestable" and worthy of "punishment of eternal fire"?

I know I'm asking people here to second guess god and his reasoning, but because so many Christians are keen to speak for him on numerous issues I figure some here would have a good insight into his thinking. So, Just what is it about showing sexual affection toward someone of the same sex that turns off god? Is it just some eeeeew factor, or does it go deeper than this?

Homosexuality, did not come by God.

Let's for say, that if homosexuality came by God, Then why would God condemn homosexualit, if it was to come by God.

Therefore homosexuality did not originate by God.
But did originate by Satan.

You know even Christ Jesus spoke out against homosexuality.

If you look at the nature of what Christ Jesus is saying in Matthew 19:4,5.
"And he (Jesus) answered and said unto them, Have you not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, for this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they Twain shall be one flesh"

If you look at the nature what Jesus is saying, he's condemning homosexualit
Himself.
Therefore how does homosexualit fit into what Christ Jesus said ?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Apparently you have been selective in who you talk to, and missed all those homosexuals born to and raised in good Christian homes and traditional marriages.
Exactly! Being gay, and having lived within the gay community in Canada's largest city for 53 years, I have known thousands of gay people, personally and often very well. Almost all were the offspring of loving parents in good homes. I am, in fact, one of the very few exceptions, growing up in the Children's Aid (who never abused me).

For whatever reason, I think @BilliardsBall is being a tad inventive with facts and figures.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Homosexuality, did not come by God.

Let's for say, that if homosexuality came by God, Then why would God condemn homosexualit, if it was to come by God.

Therefore homosexuality did not originate by God.
But did originate by Satan.

You know even Christ Jesus spoke out against homosexuality.

If you look at the nature of what Christ Jesus is saying in Matthew 19:4,5.
"And he (Jesus) answered and said unto them, Have you not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, for this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they Twain shall be one flesh"

If you look at the nature what Jesus is saying, he's condemning homosexualit
Himself.
Therefore how does homosexualit fit into what Christ Jesus said ?
Not familiar with the phrase, "come by god." Do you mean "come from god"? In any case, the Bible doesn't say or imply that god condemns homosexuality, the sexual attraction to people of one's own sex, but rather homosexual behavior. And whether homosexuality was the result of god's doing or that of Satan, it isn't something a person choose to be. Just like you, I assume, never chose to be heterosexual.

Faithofchristian

Not familiar with the phrase, "come by god." Do you mean "come from god"? In any case, the Bible doesn't say or imply that god condemns homosexuality, the sexual attraction to people of one's own sex, but rather homosexual behavior. And whether homosexuality was the result of god's doing or that of Satan, it isn't something a person choose to be. Just like you, I assume, never chose to be heterosexual.

Take the word ( abomination ) which means -- extreme hatred.

Therefore when God said "You shalt not lie with mankind , as with womankind, it is abomination" Leviticus 18:22

Therefore it is Extreme Hatred. Abomination does mean, Extreme Hatred.

So who has Extreme Hatred if not God for man lieing with man, as he would a woman?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Specifically, while many people are hurting, most every gay person I've known or encountered witnessing was molested while young and/or had a broken relationship with a same sex parent.

And while I believe that all non-Christians are broken and need healing . . .
Oh okay. So am I heterosexual because I was abused by a member of the opposite sex when I was younger? Is that how this works?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Take the word ( abomination ) which means -- extreme hatred.

Therefore when God said "You shalt not lie with mankind , as with womankind, it is abomination" Leviticus 18:22

Therefore it is Extreme Hatred. Abomination does mean, Extreme Hatred.

So who has Extreme Hatred if not God for man lieing with man, as he would a woman?
Non sequiturs don't impress. What is nice is when people stick to the subject; at least addressing someones question.

Last edited: