• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God's Gender

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
As many threads in religious topics you’ve made, the answer should be infinitely clear.
i've gone for days, weeks, without posting any threads. that doesn't hold any relevance to asking a question.

if it's clear, then why do some refer to it as "him"?

Is God male or female? was the original Adam male and female?

Bible tells God is spirit and love and we are image of Him.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24
He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

If we are image of Him, we are image of spirit, not image of physical matter. Maybe this could be compared to an image of house and to actual house that is in the picture also. Is the actual house paper, because the image is on paper?

lostwanderingsoul

You do know that many languages do not have "neutral" nouns. In Spanish "la casa" is female and "el toro" is male. Nothing is neutral. So the early languages of the Bible had to pick one or the other. Male or female. Since men were probably doing most of the writing, they chose male. Does not mean God is male but also does not prove God is female. Just a matter of language.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If God is "the Father," this answer should be clear. How many fathers do you know who are female? Either the Father is male or else Jesus' constant references to His Father have no real relevance. We know who Jesus' mother was -- Mary. Maybe He didn't have a Father. :rolleyes: I know, a lot of people are going to insist that Mary had relations with either Joseph or some other man, but if she was being honest when she told the Angel Gabriel that she'd been with no man, then Jesus had to have had a divine Father -- God.

So, here's a question for you, Fool... If Jesus was truly a human being, He would have had forty-six chromosomes, a double strand of twenty-three from His mother and another strand from where? Or, wasn't He truly a human being at all?

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
i've gone for days, weeks, without posting any threads. that doesn't hold any relevance to asking a question.

The consequences of language and the influences of patriarchy. In Islam, Judaism, and Christianity God is the Lord, King, Father, all masculine categories.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
If God is "the Father," this answer should be clear. How many fathers do you know who are female? Either the Father is male or else Jesus' constant references to His Father have no real relevance. We know who Jesus' mother was -- Mary. Maybe He didn't have a Father. :rolleyes: I know, a lot of people are going to insist that Mary had relations with either Joseph or some other man, but if she was being honest when she told the Angel Gabriel that she'd been with no man, then Jesus had to have had a divine Father -- God.

So, here's a question for you, Fool... If Jesus was truly a human being, He would have had forty-six chromosomes, a double strand of twenty-three from His mother and another strand from where? Or, wasn't He truly a human being at all?

It's really hard for me that God has masculine and feminine traits in your belief considering being incorporeal is none of ours.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

I don't believe Adam and Eve in the Bible to be factual, but the story seems to indicate Adam was male. The same story seems to indicate God is male as well, but that's not so clearly defined.

For my own belief I do not assign a gender to God and try to avoid referring to the concept by gender-specific terms to reflect that. Being a former Christian, I have yet to completely shake the 'he' from my common vocabulary, however. I do slip from time to time.

Also, there are certain Gods that do have gender within their own specific mythology and I will typically refer to those by whatever that happens to be. Odin or Aphrodite for example, would be 'he' or 'she' respectively.

I do think it's important to note that in many cases gender would properly be a maleable notion to nearly every concept of deity which relegates it to something of an aesthetic choice for the being in question.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's really hard for me that God has masculine and feminine traits in your belief considering being incorporeal is none of ours.
I don't believe He is incorporeal. If I did, I would agree that it would make no sense to assume that He has any sort of gender-related traits.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This is a first for me! so God is of material substance like humans?
That's what we believe, yes, that He has corporeal body, as does His Son, Jesus Christ. We believe the Holy Ghost to be solely spirit, which is what makes Him distinct from the Father and the Son. Just to be clear, though, we don't equate "corporeal" with "mortal." "Corporeal" refers only to the fact (well, the "fact, according to our belief" ;)) that His body is physical in nature. That does not mean we believe it to be corruptible or perishable. We believe it to be a perfect, glorified body of flesh and bones,subsisting solely on spirit and not requiring blood to keep it alive and well. We don't believe His body to be subject to pain, disease, disfigurement or death. So it would look essentially human but be immortal as opposed to mortal like ours.

Kelly of the Phoenix

While I use "He", it's just habit. I don't really care about the gender and if God is a cosmic being, it's likely irrelevant anyway. After all, gender is only useful for reproductive purposes, and people don't want God having sex. No word yet on how God feels about being grounded in His own house.