• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods 10 commandments

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I thought observance of the Sabbath was dying out now. It has in the U.K.

We were just talking about this at my synagogue this last Saturday, and I agree that in the diasporah it isn't that easy to be shomer Shabbos-- possible, but difficult. Several of my active Orthodox friends "fudge" a bit on it at times, such as driving on Shabbat.

Tumah

Veteran Member
We were just talking about this at my synagogue this last Saturday, and I agree that in the diasporah it isn't that easy to be shomer Shabbos-- possible, but difficult. Several of my active Orthodox friends "fudge" a bit on it at times, such as driving on Shabbat.

With all due respect to you Metis. In the interest of making sure people don't get the wrong idea about Orthodox Jews: I come from a city with a very dense population of Orthodox Jews and am quite familiar with other fairly populous Orthodox cities. In my experience, those that "fudge" are the rare exception. Not even close to the rule.

dantech

With all due respect to you Metis. In the interest of making sure people don't get the wrong idea about Orthodox Jews: I come from a city with a very dense population of Orthodox Jews and am quite familiar with other fairly populous Orthodox cities. In my experience, those that "fudge" are the rare exception. Not even close to the rule.

Same here. Where I live, Jews are either very strict with Shabbat, Kosher, Tefilin; or the complete opposite.

metis

Which is why I used the term "several". Based on my experience, the Orthodox that live within their own tight-knit community have easier than those who may live too far out from shul to walk there on Shabbos or too old, and that's the problem that the "several" that I mentioned have. For example, one of the single widows that I know, who is too old to walk any significant distance, drives and parks in a restaurant parking lot next door to her shul.

However, I do agree with you that this is not at all likely to be the norm, and it was not my intent to create the impression that it is.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Which is why I used the term "several". Based on my experience, the Orthodox that live within their own tight-knit community have easier than those who may live too far out from shul to walk there on Shabbos or too old, and that's the problem that the "several" that I mentioned have. For example, one of the single widows that I know, who is too old to walk any significant distance, drives and parks in a restaurant parking lot next door to her shul.

However, I do agree with you that this is not at all likely to be the norm, and it was not my intent to create the impression that it is.

I was just clarifying that. A lot of Christians around these part tend to think that Jewish Law is inherently not keep-able. So I just wanted to make sure that it was clear that Orthodox Jews that choose to drive to synagogue are not keeping in line with Orthodoxy and that the greater majority by far do.

metis

I was just clarifying that. A lot of Christians around these part tend to think that Jewish Law is inherently not keep-able. So I just wanted to make sure that it was clear that Orthodox Jews that choose to drive to synagogue are not keeping in line with Orthodoxy and that the greater majority by far do.

Thanks for the heads-up on that.

WALL

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved".... Acts 16:31.

Wheres the cut off line? Jim Jones {the kool-aid kid} said he believed. Is he saved? David Koresh said he believed. Is he saved. Hitler believe so much he wanted to be a catholic priest. Is he saved? If not wheres the line.

Your are saved to the Kingdom, His holy mountain, Zion, His city and the last book written in the bible, the last chapter says

REV.22 [12] And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. [13] I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. [14] Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may ENTER IN THROUGH THE GATES INTO THE CITY.

Theres the line. No doubt your saved by grace alone because we could never keep the commandments perfectly but....you can see what the scripture says

Last edited:

CMike

no. The commandments do not save any person. Jesus does. And if you break one commandment you break them all.
1) Only G-D saves, the real one

2) Resisting temptation and doing the right thing is what brings us closer to G-D

3) As was already said many of the commandents have specific penalties associated with them

4) How do these non jews become experts on jewish law? :eek:

Sees

Dragonslayer
This thread is like a replay of Christianity and Judaism meeting for the first time... I have a tingly, special-moment feeling just watching :clap2:

WALL

If you're a gentile, you are not bound by the Sabbath Laws, but I congratulate you on doing so because I really do believe we need a day of rest, especially in today's hectic world.

According to the new testament scriptures we are bound by sabbath laws

DO YOU WANT ETERNAL LIFE
MATT.19 [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, GOOD MASTER, WHAT GOOD THING SHALL I DO, THAT I MAY HAVE ETERNAL LIFE?[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

DO YOU KNOW GOD
1 JOHN 2 [1] My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: [2] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. [3] AND HEREBY WE DO KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

HAVE YOU BEEN TAUGHT “JUST BELIEVE” AND YOU WILL BE SAVED
JAMES 2 [19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: THE DEVILS ALSO BELIEVE, and tremble.

DO YOU LOVE GOD
1 JOHN 5 [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. [2] BY THIS WE KNOW THAT WE LOVE THE CHILDREN OF GOD, WHEN WE LOVE GOD, AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

DO YOU WANT GODS HOLY SPIRIT
JOHN 14 [15] If ye love me, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.[16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;[17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

HAS HEAVEN AND EARTH PASSED – YIKES! WHAT AM I STANDING ON?
MATT.5 [17] Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.[18] For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

WANT TO BE ONE OF GODS SAINTS
REV.14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of God, and the faith of Jesus

BEEN TAUGHT DUE TO FAITH WE NEED NOT KEEP GODS COMMANDMENTS
ROMANS 3 [31] Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

WANT TO ENTER THE CITY - THE 1000yr PERIOD OF REST
REV.22 [14] Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city

FROM THE WRITINGS OF PAUL
1 COR. 7 [19] Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS of God.

Now alls ya gotta do is read the 4th. The one He told us to remember.

roger1440

I do stuff
It’s amazing what a person can do if determined. Years ago I had moved away from my family. I kept saying to myself next month, next year I’ll visit my father, but I was never able to find the time. I was always too busy. When he died I magically was able to find the time to go to his funeral.

metis

It’s amazing what a person can do if determined. Years ago I had moved away from my family. I kept saying to myself next month, next year I’ll visit my father, but I was never able to find the time. I was always too busy. When he died I magically was able to find the time to go to his funeral.

I agree, but there also can be other factors and influences involved as well. Sometimes there's a difference between intent versus what eventually gets done. How many New Year's resolutions have been broken? Never mine!:rolleyes:

WALL

Sabbath is from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. In Christianity, both those who observe the seventh day as Sabbath and those who observe the first day as Sabbath consider themselves "Sabbatarian" and regard Sabbath as "Lord's Day"

JohnB

Thats not so. People who keep the 1st day of the week do not consider themselves sabbatarians. As for the "Lords day", where do they come up with that? Where is it found in the new testament scriptures? Why do they call sunday the Lords day?

WALL

According to the new testament scriptures we are bound by sabbath laws

DO YOU WANT ETERNAL LIFE
MATT.19 [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, GOOD MASTER, WHAT GOOD THING SHALL I DO, THAT I MAY HAVE ETERNAL LIFE?[17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS.[18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

DO YOU KNOW GOD
1 JOHN 2 [1] My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: [2] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. [3] AND HEREBY WE DO KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

HAVE YOU BEEN TAUGHT “JUST BELIEVE” AND YOU WILL BE SAVED
JAMES 2 [19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: THE DEVILS ALSO BELIEVE, and tremble.

DO YOU LOVE GOD
1 JOHN 5 [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. [2] BY THIS WE KNOW THAT WE LOVE THE CHILDREN OF GOD, WHEN WE LOVE GOD, AND KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

DO YOU WANT GODS HOLY SPIRIT
JOHN 14 [15] If ye love me, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS.[16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;[17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

HAS HEAVEN AND EARTH PASSED – YIKES! WHAT AM I STANDING ON?
MATT.5 [17] Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.[18] For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

WANT TO BE ONE OF GODS SAINTS
REV.14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of God, and the faith of Jesus

BEEN TAUGHT DUE TO FAITH WE NEED NOT KEEP GODS COMMANDMENTS
ROMANS 3 [31] Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

WANT TO ENTER THE CITY - THE 1000yr PERIOD OF REST
REV.22 [14] Blessed are they that DO HIS COMMANDMENTS, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city

FROM THE WRITINGS OF PAUL
1 COR. 7 [19] Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS of God.

Now alls ya gotta do is read the 4th. The one He told us to remember.

Oppps. Forgot one

IS GODS SABBATH COMMANDMENT GRIEVOUS TO YOU
1JOHN.5 [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.[3] For this is the love of God, that WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: AND HIS COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT GRIEVOUS.

WALL

Thats not so. People who keep the 1st day of the week do not consider themselves sabbatarians. As for the "Lords day", where do they come up with that? Where is it found in the new testament scriptures? Why do they call sunday the Lords day?

Is the first chapter of revelations speaking of sunday when it mentions the Lord’s day? Or is it speaking about the Day of the Lord? When Jesus returns to set up His kingdom. What is the book of revelation about. Most of it is a picture of events which happen on the Day of the Lord. The day Jesus returns. The scriptures below are speaking of the same exact event that will take place on the “day of the Lord”.

REV.1 [7] Behold, HE COMETH WITH CLOUDS; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of THE EARTH SHALL WAIL because of him. Even so, Amen.[8] I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.[9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.[10] I was in the Spirit on THE LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a GREAT VOICE, as of A TRUMPET,

he cometh with clouds - of a trumpet - the Lord's day - a great voice - the earth shall wail

ZEPH.1 [14] The great DAY OF THE LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even THE VOICE of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall CRY THERE BITTERLY.[15] That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a DAY OF CLOUDS and thick darkness,[16] A day of THE TRUMPET and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers

a day of clouds - of the trumpet - The great day of the LORD - even the voice - man shall cry there bitterly

See how these two scriptures are speaking of the same exact event. Pretty simple to see now that the Lords day is not sunday but another way to say the Day of the Lord. What a great day it will be.

Paraselsus

Must we "observe" to keep the 10 commandments {including the Sabbath} in order to be saved to the kingdom?

I believe that the 10 Commandments inscription was written by the finger of God and can be observed in the northern night sky, which may have been referred to as the kingdom. The Samaritan version of the 10 Commandments appears to closely follow the stellar form as shown in this animation:

Archeoastronomy Animations: The 10 Commandments