• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gods 10 commandments

WALL

Must we "observe" to keep the 10 commandments {including the Sabbath} in order to be saved to the kingdom?

outhouse

Atheistically
Must we "observe" to keep the 10 commandments {including the Sabbath} in order to be saved to the kingdom?

NO

Are they really gods commandments?

Because Egypt and Mesopotamia both had these same commandments much earlier then Israelites.

WALL

Jesus didn't, he broke Sabbath by picking wheat.
He laid out his precepts in mathew, no law of Moses required.

No. Jesus did not break the Sabbath commandment. He was without sin. He did break one of the laws added to the Sabbath by the Jews. Ive heard it said that the Jews added over 100 laws to the Sabbath commandment.

You say that in Matthew the Word claims that the law of Moses is not required

Matthew 5:17-19 (KJV)
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

I found this in Matthew. It says the opposite of what you claim. Do you have any scripture from Matthew saying otherwise?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Some questions that might help clarify your discussion for others:

1) Who is "we?"

2) Why is "observe" in quotes?

3) What is the "kingdom?" What is this thousand-year period of rest you mentioned in response to this question earlier?

4) Saved from what?

I'm going to assume I'm not part of the "we" since I'm not a follower of your religion and don't really understand all this talk about saving and kingdoms.

I've got a pretty good reflex save, though...
*Quintessence evades the Wizard's 10th level fireball spell and takes no damage!*

:run:

Thana

Lady
Could you give scripture backing up your claim Thana?

Romans 10:9-10
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Hebrews 7:24-25
but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.
Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Great timing for this thread; we just covered parshat Yitro today, and read the Aseret ha-Dibrot, or the ten statements. There are 613 commandments, not 10, and only Jews are required to follow them.

So, to answer the OP:
If you are a Jew, then yes, you must follow the commandments.
If are not a Jew, then no, you do not have to follow the commandments.

But I have no clue what "to be saved to the kingdom" means.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

we should strive to live by the principles of those laws but we are not bound by those 10 commandments

When Jesus was asked 'What is the greatest commandment in the Law' his reply was "you must love Jehovah your God with all your heart, and the second like it is, You must love your neighbour as yourself"

If we truly apply these two laws, we will fulfil all that God requires of us because love does not work evil to anyone....it fulfils the entire law.

Levite

Higher and Higher
It sounds like the OP is a Christian, since Jews have no doctrine of salvation, which language like "the kingdom" usually reflects.

That being the case, the answer is no. Non-Jews are not obligated to follow any of the 613 commandments in the Torah, since the Tanach (the Torah and the rest of the Hebrew Bible) are works intended for Jews, not for non-Jews. If anything, some might say that non-Jews should follow the seven Noahide commandments, but those are usually covered in the secular laws of Non-Jewish lands anyhow, so the basic answer is still "no."