• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Is An Imaginary Friend For Grown-Ups

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Ooo doggies is this topic going to be fun. :rolleyes: Hear me out before you folks start throwing holy water at me now ... :)

The question I want to pose is: Isn't it time to move past GOD?

Imaginary friends: For most parts, imaginary figures occur in non-schizophrenics to help cope with either a void or a stress, among other things. One might talk with the imaginary friend, listen to the imaginary friend, or heed advice. It soothes us when others fail to and its existence only based on our belief, seen or heard only by us.

For most parts, socially and developmentally, children either grow out of this naturally or are given psychological treatment to help them grow out of this. You can probably see where I'm going with this.

Moving on: Obviously, there are a lot of correlations between fundamental role that God serves in the lives of the believers and an imaginary friend serves in the life of a child (or adult?).

Although I don't want this debate to be science vs. religion, I must mention this much: science today kicks a lot of ***. With technology growing at an exponential rate, science will only advance further and at a faster rate.

Historically, the fundamentally logical duty of God and religion has been a sort of mythical system established to guide morality when laws were not firm, tying this to a system of incentives via heaven hell for example, and the idea of God, an over encompassing entity that is end all be all, easily explains any and all mysteries of the universe and justifies or punishes any actions by the social elites (i.e divine right).

Besides comfort and the need for faith, the role of God is slowly diminishing in the above duties of historical comparison. Science is slowly explaining the things only decades ago, seemed impossible.

So if you agree with my description of the duty of God - faith, comfort, and practical reasons, and that it is becoming less practical in the above described sense, then modern role of God will be left towards faith and comfort, primarily.

Isn't it time that we as adults shed our imaginary friend and seek faith and comfort outside of an antiquated myth? Or is appeal to tradition so strong that the grip is unbreakable?

UnityNow101

NeoLogic,

You are correct in many respects. When our idea of God steps beyond our personal experiences and enters the realm of mere opinions and beliefs, than yes, God has become nothing more than an imaginary friend. And frankly, most people hold on to ideas and beliefs that have absolutely no proof to back them up, unable or unwilling to examine the structure of thought and ideas within themselves. So they are lost within the prison of someone else's mind and the thoughts and ideas that have arisen from them without taking the time to look within themselves and see if there are any answers to be found there. It is quite sad really.

Fluffy

A fool
Neo-Logic said:
For most parts, socially and developmentally, children either grow out of this naturally or are given psychological treatment to help them grow out of this. You can probably see where I'm going with this.
If God is an "imaginary friend" then clearly this isn't the case.

You can't change the model for a phenomena in such a massive way and then claim that the phenomena should be viewed and treated in the same way as before. If it is normal to have an imaginary friend then the question should be, why are you abnormal?

Neo-Logic said:
Although I don't want this debate to be science vs. religion, I must mention this much: science today kicks a lot of ***. With technology growing at an exponential rate, science will only advance further and at a faster rate.
This is not supported by the data. The data indicates that if the current trend in technological growth continues then we will continue to see an exponential growth in technology. There is no reason to suppose that this trend will continue because it has not be clearly demonstrated that this trend is a) recursive and b) unaffected by outside factors.

crystalonyx

Isn't it time that we as adults shed our imaginary friend and seek faith and comfort outside of an antiquated myth? Or is appeal to tradition so strong that the grip is unbreakable?

The problem here is the disconnect between what people perceive as "science" and "religion". It doesn't matter to many whether science proved absolutely that a god could not exist, their belief system is not based upon facts or scientific theory, but faith in their beloved myths. This has always been true, and will continue to be true. There will be a slow migration away from mainstream religions over time, I believe, but the process will be slow and painful, as these religions have a lot of power and money, and want to maintain the status quo. A sad fact but true.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
". It doesn't matter to many whether science proved absolutely that a god could not exist, their belief system is not based upon facts or scientific theory, but faith in their beloved myths.

Science proving that God does not exist is no more likely than science proving that God does exist.
Do you think that faith in myth is inferior to faith in science?
Why would you perceive belief in them (myth and science) as being mutually exclusive?

humanity isn't ready to be without its comfort blanket just yet maby over a 1000 years but now its still in the fase where telling people it doesn't exist is like telling small childrens santa isn't real some day they will learn but its better to keep them ignorant for a while longer

Random

If you substitute science for God is science not then your God? You seem like a believer to me Neo-Logic.

Right. The Atheist is ignorant of his psychological substitution of God for science, generally. They want so much to have a Big Daddy like all the other good religious children, but would prefer it to be the men in white coats. What Big Daddy says goes (like the Dirt Clique, Dawkins and the rest). It's pathetic, risible and stupid.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Why the condescension?
Why would belief in God provide a comfort blanket any more than belief in no-God?
Because in some (extreme) cases, if one believes in a God and has difficulty pleasing or serving Him (or Her), that comfort blanket could very well turn into an electric blanket with no "off" mechansim.

As long as imaginary friends do not cause harm to oneself or others I do not see what the problem is. Sometimes imaginary friends (until proven otherwise) could turn out to be better, more rewarding and fulfilling than other REALationships.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Because in some (extreme) cases, if one believes in God and has difficulty pleasing or serving him the comfort blanket could very well turn into an electric blanket with no "off" mechansim.

As long as an imaginary friends do not cause harm to oneself or others I do not see what the problem is. Sometimes imaginary friends (until proven otherwise) could turn out to be better than other REALationships.
Tell me about one friend you have who is more than an object in your mind.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
humanity isn't ready to be without its comfort blanket just yet maby over a 1000 years but now its still in the fase where telling people it doesn't exist is like telling small childrens santa isn't real some day they will learn but its better to keep them ignorant for a while longer
Where 'God' is an integral part of the model of reality, though, it would be pretty hard to just 'get over' a piece of reality.

I think 'God' is pretty much here to stay.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Tell me about one friend you have who is more than an object in your mind.
I was just basically commenting on the fact that God is not "comfort blanket certainty" with some people. In a few known explanations and descriptions, this relationship is made up of eggshells. To some, God cannot be a friend (imaginary or otherwise) because they are constantly concerned with God's judgment or are afraid of not living up to this BEing's expectation in fear of punishment or rejection. This is not a friend nor one that I would want my imagination to pursue or encourage.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I was just basically commenting on the fact that God is not "comfort blanket certainty" with some people. In a few known explanations and descriptions, this relationship is made up of eggshells. To some, God cannot be a friend (imaginary or otherwise) because they are constantly concerned with God's judgment or are afraid of not living up to this BEing's expectation in fear of punishment or rejection. This is not a friend nor one that I would want my imagination to pursue or encourage.
That's fair enough.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Where 'God' is an integral part of the model of reality, though, it would be pretty hard to just 'get over' a piece of reality.

I think 'God' is pretty much here to stay.

That is true. I think what he was saying is more that a certain concept of God will die out.