• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God Is An Imaginary Friend For Grown-Ups

fantôme profane;1282145 said:
Unless you are just talking to yourself, or I am. Semicolon;

So we've spent billions of dollar in putting communication satellites and hardware, and when we communicate via the Internet, we are only talking to ourselves???

If you are joking, this is no laughing matter.

What is ironic is that the god-crowd, who can't come up with evidence, turn the table on the no-god crowd on the burden of proof.

Now in court of law, the prosecution doesn't go around to prove that there was no crime, but definitely, has to prove that there was a crime.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What is ironic is that the god-crowd, who can't come up with evidence, turn the table on the no-god crowd on the burden of proof.

Now in court of law, the prosecution doesn't go around to prove that there was no crime, but definitely, has to prove that there was a crime.

They only do this when challenged unnecessarily. If you leave them alone, they don't really care. If you attack their beliefs without provocation, they tend to make you support yourself.

So we've spent billions of dollar in putting communication satellites and hardware, and when we communicate via the Internet, we are only talking to ourselves???

If you are joking, this is no laughing matter.

How do you know you're not imagining your computer or the satellites, etc.?

How do you know you're not imagining your computer or the satellites, etc.?

This line of questioning is along the same line as the Matrix (movie) and Plato's cave allegory. It assumes that there is a reality outside, above, or beyond what we perceived. Such questions are in the same vein as which comes first, the chicken or the egg. Your can argue ad infinitum, with never achieving a final conclusion. Most of us get up in the morning and believe there is a real world, and move on.

Yes, we do. When it comes to some ideas, though, even such things need to be questioned.

Sure, but this idea of "other" world can also be the source of superstition and make beliefs. It took thousands of years before humanity was able to devise a method to decipher which of these ideas are worthwhile to pursue. In the end, we can speculate ad infinitum about this "other " world, but since it lies beyond our perceptions and human enquiry, it boils down to just that, speculation. Tho' I will grant that it has some uses such as entertainment and a soothing distraction from the rat-race of the real world.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Sure, but this idea of "other" world can also be the source of superstition and make beliefs. It took thousands of years before humanity was able to devise a method to decipher which of these ideas are worthwhile to pursue. In the end, we can speculate ad infinitum about this "other " world, but since it lies beyond our perceptions and human enquiry, it boils down to just that, speculation. Tho' I will grant that it has some uses such as entertainment and a soothing distraction from the rat-race of the real world.

What do you mean by "'other world"?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I believe it started with your question, How do you know you're not imagining your computer or the satellites, etc.? The supposition that there is a world above and beyond our sense perception...

Not necessarily. There doesn't have to be another world. It could just be you with no world at all.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Not to restart really old threads, but having read a lot of the suicide bomber's justifications for their Jihad, it seems to me that the God justification for violence is another analogy to my original imaginary friend vs. god comparison - listening to either can cause peer pressure. Kids get in trouble for listening to their imaginary friend's suggestions to kick the dog. Suicide bombers ... die for 'listening' to God. Charles Manson went to jail for life for listening to his God. Food for thought. :D