• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God created evil

Skwim

Veteran Member
in Isaiah 45:7 we have god creating ra', and depending on the Bible one chooses to use, for the most part this word means; "evil," "woe," "calamity," or "disaster"), none of which are desirable circumstances. So, while god is said to have created good stuff, he's also responsible for some pretty bad stuff. And in as much as these Bibles don't qualify their interpretation of ra', it's pretty clear the reader is expected to assume their common meanings.

Evil:
n.
1. The quality of being morally bad or wrong; wickedness.
2. That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction: a leader's power to do both good and evil.
3. An evil force, power, or personification.
4. Something that is a cause or source of suffering, injury, or destruction:
Woe:
n.1. Literary intense grief or misery
2. (often plural) affliction or misfortune

Calamity:
n. 1. a disaster or misfortune, esp one causing extreme havoc, distress, or misery
2. a state or feeling of deep distress or misery

Disaster:
n.1. a. An occurrence causing widespread destruction and distress; a catastrophe.
b. A grave misfortune.

(Source for definitions: Collins English Dictionary or The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language)

To my way of thinking, they all cast the god of Abraham as a downright reprehensible character.

Consider: If these terms described the work of some backwater god worshiped by primitive tribesmen, what would you make of such a deity?

Of course, I expect some will point out that all the good god does negates this evil, or __whatever__ he created, but what kind of a "schizophrenic" character is this who purposely causes people to suffer, but also causes them to find delight in their world?

And, as for the the notion that we need evil to make good meaningful. Give me a break. :facepalm:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
only when it's willful ignorance...

because the animal does not reason like we do..

Nay...and it is a practice....
You step into Someone else's territory and misbehave.....too bad for you.

Animals don't reason as we do....correct.
Hence the Garden Event and the spiritual upgrade.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Nay...and it is a practice....
You step into Someone else's territory and misbehave.....too bad for you.
sure if you live in a tyrannical system

Animals don't reason as we do....correct.
Hence the Garden Event and the spiritual upgrade.
the upgrade makes no sense. god wanted ignorance, hence the way he created them.. ignorant

Hawkins

According to the Bible (Isaiah 45:7) God creates evil. Why do so many people, especially evangelical types, find this so hard to understand and accept?

It is similar to say that the Americans built the statue of liberty. This is correct from one perspective but at the same time, there are other perspectives for one to say otherwise. At least one may argue that it is built by a group of french thus it may not be considered as "built by the Americans" (from another perspective). Some others may argue that since the architect is possibly an English that it should be considered as built by the English.

Sometimes it is just a matter of perspective.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
[
quote=Hawkins;3000090]I
t is similar to say that the Americans built the statue of liberty. This is correct from one perspective but at the same time, there are other perspectives for one to say otherwise. At least one may argue that it is built by a group of french thus it may not be considered as "built by the Americans" (from another perspective). Some others may argue that since the architect is possibly an English that it should be considered as built by the English.

Sometimes it is just a matter of perspective.[/quote]

Not sure I follow your thinking.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
sure if you live in a tyrannical system

the upgrade makes no sense. god wanted ignorance, hence the way he created them.. ignorant

Shallow objection.
Man, is a creature of increasing ability.
The upgrade was needful as Man had obtained the ability to evade predators and reach for food.
Further evolution would have been slow.
The lesser form of Man would have overrun the resources of this planet before the spiritual character would set in.

So the Garden event... a manipulation to alter the body and spirit of Man.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Do they believe that God is the Creator of ALL? Yes.
But do they teach that God created EVIL as He says in (Isa. 45:7)? No.

I believe Isaiah 45 v 7, but please keep in mind that 'evil' in Scriptures is Not always synonymous with wrongdoing.

The Flood was an evil in the form or a calamity against the wicked.
That evil, or calamity, was used as justice for the righteous.

Isaiah 11 vs 3,4 and Rev. 19 vs 11,15 shows Jesus' words from his mouth will execute the wicked for the sake of justice for the righteous at the time of Armageddon.
Armageddon the final war to end all wars forever. -Psalm 46 v 9
It is Jesus who can and will usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.
Psalm 37 v 29; Micah 4 vs 3,4.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I believe Isaiah 45 v 7, but please keep in mind that 'evil' in Scriptures is Not always synonymous with wrongdoing.
You mean that in some contexts in the Bible the use of "evil" signifies something good? I' don't recall such an instance so I'd be interested in seeing what you have.

Where in the Bible does it say the flood was evil?

Isaiah 11 vs 3,4 and Rev. 19 vs 11,15 shows Jesus' words from his mouth will execute the wicked for the sake of justice for the righteous at the time of Armageddon.
It is Jesus who can and will usher in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.
So you're saying that this operation and Jesus' part in it has been called evil in the Bible?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Evil in Scripture is not always synonymous with wrongdoing.

What Jesus will do is Not wrongdoing, but it is a calamity [evil] upon the wicked.-Psalm 92 v 7

Skwim

Veteran Member
Evil in Scripture is not always synonymous with wrongdoing.
Repeating your claim does not amount to showing its truth. I'll take this tactic as an admission that you can't.

What Jesus will do is Not wrongdoing, but it is a calamity [evil] upon the wicked.-Psalm 92 v 7
Let's see. Psalm 92: 7 says:
"that though the wicked spring up like grass
and all evildoers flourish,
they will be destroyed forever."
Don't see anything even suggesting that what Jesus is to do is evil. Care to explain?

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Evil has no need of creation in the same way that darkness and ignorance have no need of creation. Evil is an absence of good in the same way that darkness is an absence of light and ignorance is an absence of knowledge.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Evil has no need of creation in the same way that darkness and ignorance have no need of creation. Evil is an absence of good in the same way that darkness is an absence of light and ignorance is an absence of knowledge.

Evil in today's thinking is the absence of good such as: Satan is evil.

However, IN SCRIPTURE 'evil' is Not always wrongdoing.

God created evil in the sense that God used an evil calamity to rid the earth of wickedness as in the Flood of Noah's day.

According to Revelation [ 11 v 18 B ] God will once again use an 'evil or calamity' to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Let's see. Psalm 92: 7 says:
"that though the wicked spring up like grass
and all evildoers flourish,
they will be destroyed forever."
Don't see anything even suggesting that what Jesus is to do is evil. Care to explain?

God IS love and the God of love created evil [ Isaiah 45 v 7 ]
Not creating evil for evil purposes, but using calamity over rebellion against the wicked.
-Isaiah 26 v 10
What does Jeremiah [ 25 vs 31-33 ] say but that God will give the wicked to the sword.
That 'sword' is a calamity or an evil in the eyes of the wicked.
The 'sword' being the words from Jesus' mouth.- Isaiah 11 vs 3,4; Rev. 19 vs 11,15

So, as the Flood rid the earth of the wicked, Jesus' words will do the same.
In both cases that is evil calamity in the way the wicked think, but a necessary evil against them which is not wrongdoing to rid the earth of wickedness.- Rev. 11 vs 18 B.

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Evil in today's thinking is the absence of good such as: Satan is evil.

However, IN SCRIPTURE 'evil' is Not always wrongdoing.

God created evil in the sense that God used an evil calamity to rid the earth of wickedness as in the Flood of Noah's day.

According to Revelation [ 11 v 18 B ] God will once again use an 'evil or calamity' to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.

It hardly shocks me that 2,000 year old writings contain some primitive understandings of reality.

Do you think it has a ultimate good purpose? Have you seen this scripture?

Gen 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Do you think it has a ultimate good purpose? Have you seen this scripture?
Gen 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive

Yes, ultimate good purpose: Proverbs 2 vs 21,22; Rev. 11 v 18 B

Doesn't chapter 50 start out still with continuing the story of Joseph in Egypt ?

Do you remember how Joseph ended up in Egypt?

If you look back to Gen. [45 vs 4,5] it mentions that Joseph says to his brothers not to feel hurt or angry with themselves for selling Joseph [evil against Joseph]. 'Why not anger or hurt' because their selling Joseph [evil] turned out that God worked that out for the preservation of life.[ Psalm 105 vs 16,17 ] Life because Messiah was promised to come through the line of Abraham through Isaac.

As back then the nation of Israel ended up with 'much people saved alive', The great crowd of Revelation [ 7 v 14] is also going to result in 'much people saved alive'. Saved, delivered, rescued alive right through the coming great tribulation into Jesus' coming 1000-year reign over earth.