• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God created evil

BSM1

What? Me worry?
According to the Bible (Isaiah 45:7) God creates evil. Why do so many people, especially evangelical types, find this so hard to understand and accept?

mycorrhiza

According to the Bible (Isaiah 45:7) God creates evil. Why do so many people, especially evangelical types, find this so hard to understand and accept?

Because they have the modern omnibenevolent version of the Biblical God which is far from historically, or scripturally, accurate :D.

There are many things that Christians believe in that has no scriptural basis, like Satan being able to do things without God's permission, or Jesus being white with long hair, or the anti-Christ being a single person.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Evil?...as in doing harm?

Or evil as intention.... deliberate and destructive?

So if you were God and saw a need to destroy something, to prevent further spread of it...
that would be evil?

If you were the devil and temptation is your tool to keep Man from entering heaven....
that would be evil?

So maybe, allowing the devil to tempt is evil?

Then if you fall to temptation you get to blame God?
as if you never had any freewill?

So many questions....

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Evil?...as in doing harm?

Or evil as intention.... deliberate and destructive?

So if you were God and saw a need to destroy something, to prevent further spread of it...
that would be evil?

If you were the devil and temptation is your tool to keep Man from entering heaven....
that would be evil?

So maybe, allowing the devil to tempt is evil?

Then if you fall to temptation you get to blame God?
as if you never had any freewill?

So many questions....

Free will is a meaningless concept, on par with "colorless green ideas".

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

evil means 'calamity'

God has brought calamity on mankind, yes. So in that way he has created evil.

But this verse is not saying that evil is some sort of living entity that was brought into existence by God. Evil is an action. And anyone can bring an act of evil or calamity upon another.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
According to the Bible (Isaiah 45:7) God creates evil.
No. The better translation (given parallelism and counterposition) is:
I form light and create darkness,
I make weal and create woe.​
... as found in the JPS Hebrew-English Tanakh and the New Oxford Annotated Bible (NSRV). It's also interesting that the Catholic New Jerusalem Bible offers:
I form the light and I create the darkness,
I make well-being, and I create disaster​
The Hebrew word 'ra' - here counterposed to 'shalom' - has various meanings and the preferable one depends heavily on style and context.

josh120775

waiting for god

In Genesis, it says God created everything out of nothing. By default, God HAD to create evil and allow it to exist, otherwise the opposite of good would just be nothing, as God wouldn't have created an alternative.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
In Genesis, it says God created everything out of nothing. By default, God HAD to create evil and allow it to exist, otherwise the opposite of good would just be nothing, as God wouldn't have created an alternative.

evil doesnt 'exist'

if you do something bad to someone, you've performed an act of evil...but once you've completed the evil act, the evil is no more. Its only an action.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

We have a winner!!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This leads to the obvious next question-What is the difference between good and evil?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
good seeks to upbuild, evil seeks to tear down

Don't you think that each person has to decide what builds up and what tears down?
What I might consider evil, you might see as good or normal. Case in point, honor killings. Hopefully all of us here has decided that killing your teen-age daughter for wearing lipstick is wrong, evil. However there is obviously a large population on this earth that consider honor killings not only good but divinely required. My point is that good and evil are highly subjective and totally defined by us.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
evil doesnt 'exist'

if you do something bad to someone, you've performed an act of evil...but once you've completed the evil act, the evil is no more. Its only an action.

I like this pegg.

josh120775

waiting for god
That is not necessarily true.

Which means something existed in addition to God. Wouldn't that make it also God, so now we have 2 Gods?

Or are you referring to matter simply existing along with God, and God just molded it like putty?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I actually want to now what you're referring to.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
In Genesis, it says God created everything out of nothing.
That is not necessarily true.
What else did God have to work with but nothing and not nothing (God) at the moment of creation?
S/he never told me. I am addressing what I believe to be problematic translations of Biblical Hebrew. I prefer the JPS Torah which renders the opening lines of Genesis as:
When God began to create heaven and earth - the earth being unformed and void, ...​
with the following commentary:
2. unformed and void

The Hebrew for this phrase (tohu va-vohu) means "desert waste." The point of the narrative is the idea or order that results from divine intent. There is no suggestion here that God made the world out of nothing, which is a much later conception.​