• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Harvey

WalterTrull

Godfella
Tell me something about God and Harvey

I have no doubt that there is God. I won’t go into my reasoning for that again here.

I do not believe in a vindictive God, because it doesn’t make sense to me. There have been lots of threads about why God this and why God that, referring to killings, plagues, and natural disasters. It seems though, that we should be getting some sort of Aha moments out of these things. I’m thinking, but no Aha’s.

Here is Harvey, a major disaster, lots of people bonding, big time altruism - that seems good.
OK, how about lots of people losing stuff. That’s kinda indeterminate. Like, you know, moth and rust.
Now there’s death. That doesn’t seem good, but there’s always death.

I’m pretty sure we just don’t get the God connection, the relative importance of individuals to the universe. and the priorities involved. (Big news, right?)

Any Aha’s out there?

(Please don’t just throw scripture around, unless, of course, it relates to an Aha. Also, please, please don’t bother to denigrate my mental acuity for believing in God, - been there.)

Edited this to change Harry to Harvey. Wish I could change the title, Oh well. Senior moments, - rats

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

God's view "s--t happens" God does not promise safety and happiness in this life. Those who He allows to join Him in the next life will be the ones who enjoy peace and happiness.

Tmac

I have no doubt that there is God. I won’t go into my reasoning for that again here.

I do not believe in a vindictive God, because it doesn’t make sense to me. There have been lots of threads about why God this and why God that, referring to killings, plagues, and natural disasters. It seems though, that we should be getting some sort of Aha moments out of these things. I’m thinking, but no Aha’s.

Here is Harvey, a major disaster, lots of people bonding, big time altruism - that seems good.
OK, how about lots of people losing stuff. That’s kinda indeterminate. Like, you know, moth and rust.
Now there’s death. That doesn’t seem good, but there’s always death.

I’m pretty sure we just don’t get the God connection, the relative importance of individuals to the universe. and the priorities involved. (Big news, right?)

Any Aha’s out there?

(Please don’t just throw scripture around, unless, of course, it relates to an Aha. Also, please, please don’t bother to denigrate my mental acuity for believing in God, - been there.)

Edited this to change Harry to Harvey. Wish I could change the title, Oh well. Senior moments, - rats

Harvey, Harry who cares I get the picture.

This reminds me of that story in the NT where Jesus and the boys were out on the boat, Jesus was cutting some zzz's and a storm came up. To me it wasn't a story about how powerful Jesus was but an example of what we are capable of, (if we were to grow, become adults) we are all part of a whole, climate change is not just a weather problem. I often ask myself if the problems are worse today or is it that I am more aware of them. I too am sick of hearing about punishment angle. I believe that we are more in control of life than we have even yet to imagine.

DavidFirth

Humanity has chosen not to follow God or obey Him. With that choice is the full result of disobedience and abandonment.

We chose and still do choose to do things our way instead of God's way.

And - how many people on Earth are praying for God to take care of Harvey for us, anyway? How many people even care outside of the Gulf area? How many truly believe God can take care of it?

Men who think they know more about what's best for them than God does actually expect God to handle all of their problems for them? Man has assumed responsibility for his own problems so Man must deal with them himself.

Last edited:

WalterTrull

Godfella
Harvey, Harry who cares I get the picture.

This reminds me of that story in the NT where Jesus and the boys were out on the boat, Jesus was cutting some zzz's and a storm came up. To me it wasn't a story about how powerful Jesus was but an example of what we are capable of, (if we were to grow, become adults) we are all part of a whole, climate change is not just a weather problem. I often ask myself if the problems are worse today or is it that I am more aware of them. I too am sick of hearing about punishment angle. I believe that we are more in control of life than we have even yet to imagine.

I know you’re right about the part-of-a-whole thing. I also think you’re probably right about the control angle. The several thought threads I’ve followed out of that have not yielded much though. They tend to dead end or just fade out. I just haven’t been able to put my mental finger on it and be able to say “Aha – I get it!”

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
No AHA unique to this disaster. But I do notice what is in the OP. I have one additional observation - people learn what is truly in their hearts and the hearts of others when disasters strike. Some automatically leap to help others. Some use the opportunity to steal.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Humanity has chosen not to follow God or obey Him. With that choice is the full result of disobedience and abandonment.

We chose and still do choose to do things our way instead of God's way.

And - how many people on Earth are praying for God to take care of Harvey for us, anyway? How many people even care outside of the Gulf area? How many truly believe God can take care of it?

Men who think they know more about what's best for them than God does actually expect God to handle all of their problems for them? Man has assumed responsibility for his own problems so Man must deal with them himself.

Mmmm… maybe. I kinda don’t think there is any way but God’s way. Unfortunately, there seems to be quite a long slow understanding curve involved. Stick and carrot works. Don’t know why we so seldom recognize carrots. We sure recognize sticks.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I do not believe in a vindictive God, because it doesn’t make sense to me.

Bad stuff happens and, as you said, it isn't that God is authoring it. As I view it, God simply helps bring out good in the midst of bad.

A coined prayer is "Lord, turn what the Devil meant for evil and turned it for good", however, the Devil isn't always the culprit either.

As I view the life of Jesus who only did what God told him to do, I find the following:
  1. Jesus wasn't vindictive and didn't do any evil even to the worst of mankind
  2. Whenever possible, he took what was meant for evil and made something good out of it
  3. He promised that trials and tribulation would come (a process of the life we now live in) but that he has given us a pathway to gain strength and overcome
  4. He has given us a Comforter to sustain us in our loss, the Helper to help us move forward.
@metis how much does the bridge cost? :D

Last edited:

DavidFirth

Mmmm… maybe. I kinda don’t think there is any way but God’s way. Unfortunately, there seems to be quite a long slow understanding curve involved. Stick and carrot works. Don’t know why we so seldom recognize carrots. We sure recognize sticks.

Sin is Man's way. Man chose sin over God's holiness. Man must live with his choices.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Man has assumed responsibility for his own problems so Man must deal with them himself.
I assume you're talking about man's participation in global warming having brought about hurricane Harvey. God is saying, "Hey, you idiots created this mess so it's your fault your innocent neighbors are suffering. I'm wiping my hands clean of the whole affair :D Tee Hee"

Sin is Man's way. Man chose sin over God's holiness. Man must live with his choices.

Surely you mean "one man and one woman chose to sin," which god saw fit to apply to everyone.

WalterTrull

Godfella
No AHA unique to this disaster. But I do notice what is in the OP. I have one additional observation - people learn what is truly in their hearts and the hearts of others when disasters strike. Some automatically leap to help others. Some use the opportunity to steal.

True. Probably some kind of winnowing going on there. Helping others is very valuable to us for revealing some universal truths. Stealing does the opposite. Interesting though, I’m guessing you can’t steal anything of real value.

DavidFirth

I assume you're talking about man's participation in global warming having brought about hurricane Harvey. God is saying, "Hey, you idiots created this mess so it's your fault your innocent neighbors are suffering. I'm wiping my hands clean of the whole affair :D Tee Hee"

Actually, it's the other way around. It is men who rejected God. God has never rejected Man and even sent His own Son to die for all men. The Gospel is open to all who will hear it.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
This is the way I see it,people blame a supposed god when they can't take responsibility themselves,there's nothing in god literature from way back on how to deal with global warming so with Harvey many people may see it as a punishment or a sign that we screwed up and beg forgiveness.

What Harvey shows is how human empathy which is,I believe,in the majority of humans can actually do something positive by volunteering to help.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Actually, it's the other way around. It is men who rejected God. God has never rejected Man and even sent His own Son to die for all men. The Gospel is open to all who will hear it.
Don't you mean "to all who buy into its claims"? After all, not all of us were born with Christian gullibility understanding, but often weigh the words of the Bible and its preachers against a different reasoning. A reasoning that concludes accepting the god of Abraham is not a worthwhile endeavor. So why should we be held accountable for a human propensity we had no say in developing? It's like damning people to hell if they're unable to draw a straight line.

So this gospel, that's open to all, comes with a huge caveat: It's only meaningful to those who are able to see its worth. Many of us, because of our reasoning, cannot. We're simply unable to draw the straight line that god demands. And to suppose that a book or pulpits filled with Sunday preachers is all that's necessary to make us see the light is a Christian conceit that, frankly, is egotistical arrogance.

Jumi

Catastrophe tends to bring out the good in many of us. Rebuilding and reconcilement are natural to humans and part of any society or culture that can survive on it's own.

DavidFirth

Don't you mean "to all who buy into its claims"? After all, not all of us were born with Christian gullibility understanding, but often weigh the words of the Bible and its preachers against a different reasoning. A reasoning that concludes accepting the god of Abraham is not a worthwhile endeavor. So why should we be held accountable for a human propensity we had no say in developing? It's like damning people to hell if they're unable to draw a straight line.

So this gospel, that's open to all, comes with a huge caveat: It's only meaningful to those who are able to see its worth. Many of us, because of our reasoning, cannot. We're simply unable to draw the straight line that god demands. And to suppose that a book or pulpits filled with Sunday preachers is all that's necessary to make us see the light is a Christian conceit that, frankly, is egotistical arrogance.

I would put that on your tombstone if it would fit. Alas, it will not.