• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

God and Evolution

ecco

Veteran Member
I am not asking about photosynthesis. I am asking how did plants and animals evolve? Did one come before the other? I guess plants came first, then a plant-animal like those plants that eat bugs, then the plant got legs or something like that and became an animal not rooted in soil. Am I on the right track, despite my use of common talk terminology?
Why are you asking questions in a forum? There must be colleges nearby where you can take a course. That is, if you really are interested.

Alternatively, you could buy, or freely rent from your library, books on the subject.
9780470117736_p0_v1_s550x406.jpg

$8.95 from Barnes & Noble. That is, if you really are interested.

But we know you aren't. You're just another Religious Creationist knocking science because that's what you were taught to do.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Harry Potter is superior in terms of morality.
Writing a book that is morally superior to the Bible is not all that difficult.

Slavery yea or nay?

Genocide, a good thing?

Is your daughter your physical property that you can dispose of as you wish?

Only three of the many questions that the Bible seems to have trouble answering properly.

Oh, on more:

Is killing homosexuals a bad thing?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I have another question. One I have asked several times of you.

How do you account for the existence of humans on earth?

Are you too embarrassed to respond?
No, why would I be? Sorry if I missed your previous questions, I don't have the time to read and respond to every post. How do I account for the existence of humans on earth? The Bible says God made Adam and then he made Eve. And then they had children. That's how I account for the existence of humans.

YoursTrue

Why are you asking questions in a forum? There must be colleges nearby where you can take a course. That is, if you really are interested.

Alternatively, you could buy, or freely rent from your library, books on the subject.

But we know you aren't. You're just another Religious Creationist knocking science because that's what you were taught to do.
Actually, I've been doing quite a bit of reading in Wikipedia about topics mentioned here. I don't knock science. I do not believe, however, that humans came about by blind chance starting from a bacteria which multiplied millions of years ago by blind chance based on surrounding elements.

YoursTrue

By the way, if I took a course in evolution, considering I won scholarships for college, I can learn and did learn what I was supposed to, both in languages and in whatever science courses I took. I was not a science major. And at the time, I believed virtually anything they taught me. But if I took a course now, I couldn't ask the teacher or professor questions as I'm asking you all, among other reasons. Money and time. But the class must go on and the instructor probably would have to pass over many of them.
And furthermore, the unearthing of the Tiktaalik specimen proved that an animal that had gills as well as legs had been alive and evidently became extinct.
If I wanted to do well on an exam, I'd answer as whatever would enable me to get a good mark for the course. It doesn't mean I'd believe the concepts, or have to agree with the theories, including the conclusions many may have because of discovered fossils.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No, why would I be? Sorry if I missed your previous questions, I don't have the time to read and respond to every post. How do I account for the existence of humans on earth? The Bible says God made Adam and then he made Eve. And then they had children. That's how I account for the existence of humans.
But that story does not match the observed facts.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
By the way, if I took a course in evolution, considering I won scholarships for college, I can learn and did learn what I was supposed to, both in languages and in whatever science courses I took. I was not a science major. And at the time, I believed virtually anything they taught me. But if I took a course now, I couldn't ask the teacher or professor questions as I'm asking you all, among other reasons. Money and time. But the class must go on and the instructor probably would have to pass over many of them.
And furthermore, the unearthing of the Tiktaalik specimen proved that an animal that had gills as well as legs had been alive and evidently became extinct.
If I wanted to do well on an exam, I'd answer as whatever would enable me to get a good mark for the course. It doesn't mean I'd believe the concepts, or have to agree with the theories, including the conclusions many may have because of discovered fossils.

If you don't let yourself learn then belief is all that you can have. Understanding evolution leads to knowing that it is correct.

There is a reason that I tried to get you to understand the concept of evidence first, but you appear to be too afraid to let yourself learn. When you cannot honestly answer question that clearly has a yes answer it appears that you simply won't let yourself learn. Perhaps it is due to fear. Have you ever thought about how the false teachings of Hell affect you?

YoursTrue

If you don't let yourself learn then belief is all that you can have. Understanding evolution leads to knowing that it is correct.

There is a reason that I tried to get you to understand the concept of evidence first, but you appear to be too afraid to let yourself learn. When you cannot honestly answer question that clearly has a yes answer it appears that you simply won't let yourself learn. Perhaps it is due to fear. Have you ever thought about how the false teachings of Hell affect you?
It is late and I cannot give a complete answer now. I will be brief. Hell as depicted by many religious persons does not stand up to scrutiny.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I understand that the account does not meet with what is accepted as facts by evolution.

Forget evolution. It simply does not match reality.

For example you do know that it is a myth that someone woke up in a seedy hotel room missing a kidney in a bathtub full of ice, don't you? Do you know why it is a myth?

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Forget evolution. It simply does not match reality.

For example you do know that it is a myth that someone woke up in a seedy hotel room missing a kidney in a bathtub full of ice, don't you? Do you know why it is a myth?
I heard it from a guy, who heard it from his cousin's friend that there was this dude backpacking through Europe and he met a guy that woke up in a hotel room with his kidney missing and a note telling him to call an ambulance. It must be true.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually, I've been doing quite a bit of reading in Wikipedia about topics mentioned here. I don't knock science. I do not believe, however, that humans came about by blind chance starting from a bacteria which multiplied millions of years ago by blind chance based on surrounding elements.

The "blind chance" demonstrates that you do not understand a very simple concept of evolution:

Populations evolve, not individual organisms. That means that when there is a population there will be a range of traits. As the environment changes different subsets of the population will thrive though natural selection. That takes away a huge part of the randomness that evolution is accused of having.

ecco

Veteran Member
OK. That was certainly implied in many of your posts, but I just wanted to be sure. There are so many different interpretations of the Bible in general and Genesis in particular that it's hard to keep track. Maybe I need to start a spreadsheet.

ecco

Veteran Member

Well, it seems from the above, that you actually do understand evolution. That implies that the questions you ask are not to gain knowledge but to argue against ToE. That's OK.

I hope you won't mind if I use the same approach to question your beliefs.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Well, it seems from the above, that you actually do understand evolution. That implies that the questions you ask are not to gain knowledge but to argue against ToE. That's OK.

I hope you won't mind if I use the same approach to question your beliefs.
He seems to understand aspects of it, but he cannot let himself admit that an observation is scientific evidence for evolution. Even though scientific evidence has been explained he cannot get himself to admit that specific observations are clear evidence for the theory of evolution even after he has been reassured that evidence is not "proof".

Audie

Veteran Member
He seems to understand aspects of it, but he cannot let himself admit that an observation is scientific evidence for evolution. Even though scientific evidence has been explained he cannot get himself to admit that specific observations are clear evidence for the theory of evolution even after he has been reassured that evidence is not "proof".

Among the reasons that creoism is
seen as a "condition".

We dont btw just accept others'
claims about their education and
experience as astronauts.

Anyone can talk big.

YoursTrue

That is nice to hear. Though if exposed to them at a young age the may still be affecting you.
Well, to be honest, I'm not particularly thrilled with the prospect of dying, although I know it rears its (ugly) head in front of me and the rest of mankind, plus. But I never believed in hellfire as eternal torture, was never taught it by anyone, including my parents. Never, ever. While I would go with them to the house of worship my family attended, I never ever heard a discussion about hell (or, for that matter, heaven). It was not until much later did I wonder about God, if He really existed. And I also know (found out) that the idea of hell was, as they say, conflated until the real meaning of it was lost. What I was exposed to was (is) the misery of mankind, the beauty of many aspects of life, the horrors of the misery that is inflicted by man upon man.
Reading about a young Jewish girl from Poland who was killed during WWII (her autobiography is soon to be published after many years). She didn't want to die. She did. She wanted to live, like most of us do. But she didn't have that chance.
She wrote, so touchingly -- "There is killing, murdering. God Almighty, for the umpteenth time I humble myself in front of you, help us, save us! Lord God, let us live, I beg You, I want to live! I've experienced so little of life. I don't want to die."
Diary of 'Polish Anne Frank' to be published after 70 years in bank vault - CNN