• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gnosticism and Taoism

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Fundamentally... I would say yes. Just different approaches to the same principle. Most religions have this principle (of a source) but they tend to ask the source what to do rather than look at the examples the source gives.

Gnosticism, and Taoism i believe, are mystical religions because they don't take things at face value but look for the hidden or deeper meaning.
Halcyon, I have to disagree with this. The Tao is a mystical entity but it is not hidden and neither is it's meaning. We hide it from ourselves.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
ChrisP said:
Halcyon, I have to disagree with this. The Tao is a mystical entity but it is not hidden and neither is it's meaning. We hide it from ourselves.
Exactly, but hidden is hidden.

d.

_______
Buttons* said:
Do most people agree that there are big similarities in both IDEAS? (didnt say religions)

yes.

Buttons* said:
Are they, fundamentally the same idea? (or, are the authors trying to get the same point across....)

depends. they're very similar...both, i think, is worthy of investigation.

d.

_______
halcyon, thank you for your clarification.

Halcyon said:
Gnosticism, and Taoism i believe, are mystical religions because they don't take things at face value but look for the hidden or deeper meaning.

but i'd argue that taoism teaches you to take things at face value...in a sense. this is why i do not see it as 'mystic'.

Halcyon said:
When dealing with The One, Gnosticism tries to explain in words what is inexplicable in words. Much like the Tao Te Ching.

true, but the fact that it is not nameable or expressable in words does not mean that it is hidden...in taoism, it's rather very obvious. but also not obvious. ;)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
divine said:
true, but the fact that it is not nameable or expressable in words does not mean that it is hidden...in taoism, it's rather very obvious. but also not obvious. ;)
you can take that from gnosticism too

ChrisP

Veteran Member
divine said:
halcyon, thank you for your clarification.

but i'd argue that taoism teaches you to take things at face value...in a sense. this is why i do not see it as 'mystic'.

I agree with the second statement, but Taoism isn't a "face value" thing. Well not in an English language sense anyway. To recognise the flow of action/energy.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
ChrisP said:
I agree with the second statement, but Taoism isn't a "face value" thing. Well not in an English language sense anyway. To recognise the flow of action/energy.
but you have to be "awake" to recognize it all. Gnosticism is supposed to wake you up from ingnorant sleep.

Master Vigil

I don't know a whole lot about gnosticism, but gnosis means knowledge correct? Is the point of gnosticism to gain knowledge? If so, then it is different than Taoism for Taoism, knowledge is dropped to achieve oneness. But that may be just a semantic misunderstanding on my part. Alot of what you have said sounds very much like Taoist though however. And being that we all are humans, I have no doubt that people in different cultures shared similar ideas.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
it's not knowledge that gnosis is per se. it's like tao where innate understanding of the nature of things is available

Gnosis means (to me) understanding more than knowing. I hope that's right, but if it's not Halcyon can utilise his badger army. Just try and find me in these har hills!

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
ChrisP said:
it's not knowledge that gnosis is per se. it's like tao where innate understanding of the nature of things is available

Gnosis means (to me) understanding more than knowing. I hope that's right, but if it's not Halcyon can utilise his badger army. Just try and find me in these har hills!
Chris, my badger army has you under constant survaillance. They can see you right now, through the high powered telescopic lens of their orbital offense platform.

Erm, yes. Gnosis is innate knowledge as Chris said. In fact Gnosis cannot be expressed in words, thus its non transferrable unlike conventional knowledge.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
And so the Tao Vs Gnosis battle continues, both Nothing/Everythings locked in action/inaction

Omer

Socrates says to his horse "Gnothi seautron!", that is, "know thyself!"
i guess this "gnothi" has the same root with "gnosis".
With this he might have pointed to the significance of knowing one's self (i.e.
being aware of one's own self first).

Not very much related with the thread, i know.
See ya'll

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Omer said:
Socrates says to his horse "Gnothi seautron!", that is, "know thyself!"
i guess this "gnothi" has the same root with "gnosis".
With this he might have pointed to the significance of knowing one's self (i.e.
being aware of one's own self first).

Not very much related with the thread, i know.
See ya'll
at least you're thinking! :D I appriciate the thoughts!

standing_alone

it's not knowledge that gnosis is per se.

Obviously gnosis can't have much to do with knowledge, otherwise Ashley wouldn't be able to be a gnostic. :p

But then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, either. I know nothing about gnosticism. But I do know that whenever I have a chance to make fun of Ashley, I'm going to take it. :D

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
standing_alone said:
Obviously gnosis can't have much to do with knowledge, otherwise Ashley wouldn't be able to be a gnostic. :p

But then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about, either. I know nothing about gnosticism. But I do know that whenever I have a chance to make fun of Ashley, I'm going to take it. :D
Careful there standing_alone, as a Gnostic - Ashley is under the protection of my badger army, navy, airforce and our new orbital space offence platform.

If you mock Gnosticism or a Gnostic, you'd better prepare yourself for the unpleasant smelling consequences.