• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Globalism

themadhair

I wasn't aware that I gave any reasons...
You implied homogenisation as a reason.
…but can't the dictatorships just keep stealing from the freer societies…
As I opined earlier, the freedoms conferred by the freer society lead to greater economic and technological strength preventing this.
or is it encumbant for globalism to work that more freedom is required in a number of less free countries?
Only if those countries are forced to compete on a global stage.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
You implied homogenisation as a reason.

As I opined earlier, the freedoms conferred by the freer society lead to greater economic and technological strength preventing this.

Only if those countries are forced to compete on a global stage.
So globalism will tend to be incrimental (or a slippery slope depending on who you ask) as more countries voluntarily participate. At what point will a number of countries force globalism on lesser countries and why is that anything different than what happens now, like say forcing democracy in Iraq?

themadhair

So globalism will tend to be incrimental (or a slippery slope depending on who you ask) as more countries voluntarily participate. At what point will a number of countries force globalism on lesser countries and why is that anything different than what happens now, like say forcing democracy in Iraq?
As populations rise the demand for technology within those countries will increase. This creates the demand to drive those countries into the global scale as they attempt to acquire those technologies.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend sandy,

I'm interested in peoples thought about the concept of globalism? What does it mean to you? Is it inevitable? How will it effect nation states and the United States in particular?

It simply means that the EVOLUTION is at a faster pace. The ONENESS of everything is becoming clearer and clearer.

Love & rgds

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Friend sandy,

It simply means that the EVOLUTION is at a faster pace. The ONENESS of everything is becoming clearer and clearer.

Love & rgds
Well, that's the answer then. Generality of uniqueness.

I just hope donald Trump starts to look more like me and my bank account starts to look more like his. I would not be a homophobe in that case...homogenous that is.

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
Globalism means the race to the bottom.
What if we globalise union power?

Stee said:
It means income inequality and richer rich people. Albeit less of them.
What if equality were to be globalised?

Stee said:
It means big fat profit margins for transnational corporations and ever falling wages for the rest of us.
This happens without globalisation, although I'm not deny that it is a contributor.

I fall into the camp that says globalisation has been a disaster for the vast majority and that it is inevitable. For these reasons I support the globalisation of democracy, fair trade, and wealth distribution. This remains an ambitious aim, especially while many people "oppose" globalisation, but it is one I believe possible, if unlikely.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I would have no problem with your vision of globalisation Jaiket. Sounds great. But first we need to put the brakes on the corporate version!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It seems that way, but what is it going to look like? Will the UN storm troopers arrest me for burning trash in my backyard?

Since the 1200's, political unity has followed economic unity. There have been no exceptions where political unity did not follow economic unity. We can therefore suppose there is some chance political unity will follow the economic unification of the whole world.

But please note: The kind of political entity that has followed economic unity has varied from place to place. In some places, the political entity was characterized by representative government, and in some places it was characterized by dictatorship. It therefore might be supposed that the kind of world government we'll get from globalization is not set in stone.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Since the 1200's, political unity has followed economic unity. There have been no exceptions where political unity did not follow economic unity. We can therefore suppose there is some chance political unity will follow the economic unification of the whole world.

But please note: The kind of political entity that has followed economic unity has varied from place to place. In some places, the political entity was characterized by representative government, and in some places it was characterized by dictatorship. It therefore might be supposed that the kind of world government we'll get from globalization is not set in stone.
Will this economic unity be similar to how states conduct business here in the United States? Will there first be a one world currency?

Alceste

Vagabond
What is the coprporate version?

That's the version we have now: in poverty-stricken, desperate nations people earn pennies a day provide labour and resources that profit wealthy consumer nations.

The basic economic reality is that corporations seek to sell the cheapest goods for the highest profit. The status quo encourages enormous wealth disparity between nations, ensuring a virtually limitless supply of cheap labour from elsewhere in the world. Anyone telling you this policy is moving the world into a bright future of economic equality, global prosperity and ideological evolution is bull****ting you.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Alceste,

The basic economic reality is that corporations seek to sell the cheapest goods for the highest profit. The status quo encourages enormous wealth disparity between nations, ensuring a virtually limitless supply of cheap labour from elsewhere in the world. Anyone telling you this policy is moving the world into a bright future of economic equality, global prosperity and ideological evolution is bull****ting you.

What you state is true HOWEVER you may have realised that humans are more tolerant of caste, creed, colour, race, nationality, etc. much more than before; now we recognise each other as humans BUT the GREED which is there in the minds are difficult to remove as they are mere thoughts and it is effort of all religions to understand that only in a thoughtless state does merger or real unity with the individual and the whole takes place.
Yes, this too will happen but when is not known as only then can the human species evolve to a higher state of BEING.
Love & rgds

Alceste

Vagabond
Friend Alceste,

What you state is true HOWEVER you may have realised that humans are more tolerant of caste, creed, colour, race, nationality, etc. much more than before; now we recognise each other as humans BUT the GREED which is there in the minds are difficult to remove as they are mere thoughts and it is effort of all religions to understand that only in a thoughtless state does merger or real unity with the individual and the whole takes place.
Yes, this too will happen but when is not known as only then can the human species evolve to a higher state of BEING.
Love & rgds

Well, it had better happen soon or we're in big trouble.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Will this economic unity be similar to how states conduct business here in the United States? Will there first be a one world currency?

I wouldn't know the answer to your questions. Although I very recently read of an attempt by several nations to price oil using a basket of currencies, rather than US dollars. Pricing oil using a basket of currencies might be the beginning of a one world currency.

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Alceste,

Well, it had better happen soon or we're in big trouble.

The mind again has started working overtime; *trouble*?
There is no trouble ever.
You must understand that existences is at all times balanced and so it keeps evolving.
There is no beginning and no end; it is always in the middle.
Gautama Buddha's WAY is all about that Middle PATH or finding that balance within the self which leads to that total understanding.
Love & rgds

Alceste

Vagabond
Friend Alceste,

The mind again has started working overtime; *trouble*?
There is no trouble ever.
You must understand that existences is at all times balanced and so it keeps evolving.
There is no beginning and no end; it is always in the middle.
Gautama Buddha's WAY is all about that Middle PATH or finding that balance within the self which leads to that total understanding.
Love & rgds

Yeah, trouble. Famine, specifically, as a result of global warming and fossil fuel depletion. IMO, one can recognize the imminence of tremendous human suffering without losing sight of the ultimate perfection of the universe as a whole. :)

themadhair

Pricing oil using a basket of currencies might be the beginning of a one world currency.
This could be interesting in that, should oil become the basis for that new currency, what would happen when oil prices fall when technology of renewables finally hits?