• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming | Fact or Fiction?

How do you feel about Global Warming?

• Global Warming is a myth and the climate will stabilize soon.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Global Warming is happening but Humanity has nothing to do with it.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is partly to blame.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is mostly to blame.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is the only cause.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Don’t know, don’t care.

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

Absolute Zero

fon memories
Humanity has caused most of the **** on this planet IE bad things like Nucluar radiation,Deforistation and a whole lot of other ****. Serves them right if there out of the picture.Hell are crap cant even be recycled into the earth because of all the processed crap where fed by the damn corrupt food industry

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Humanity has caused most of the **** on this planet
Um...not really. For a straightforward, easily accessible account of catastrophic events in Earth's history, see Hallam's Catastrophes and Lesser Calamaties: The Causes of Mass Extinctions. All five of the most major ones happened millions of year before humans.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
The most current drought map of the USA... more than half the country (26 states) are currently in significant drought conditions... many of them long term, that is to ongoing for more than a year.

article-2172931-140AEAA0000005DC-912_634x473.jpg

wa:do

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I also can't help but wonder what this drought will do to food prices once harvest time is over.

Not just for us here in the USA but globally; as we are a major food exporter.

Trey of Diamonds

This article has some interesting time lapse videos showing the current drought conditions.

Historic drought covers nearly two-thirds of continental U.S.

The most extensive drought since the 1950s in the continental U.S. keeps getting worse. For the 10th consecutive week, drought conditions expanded.

Almost two-thirds (64 percent) of the contiguous U.S. is experiencing at least moderate drought (as of July 17) - an increase of three percentage points from last week (on July 10), the latest U.S. Drought Monitor reports. More than 80 percent of the land surface is abnormally dry.

Trey of Diamonds

Sudden Greenland ice sheet melt baffles scientists

The images, snapped by three satellites, showed that about 40 percent of the ice sheet had thawed at or near the surface on July 8; just days later, on July 12, images showed a dramatic increase in melting with thawing across 97 percent of the ice sheet surface.

The melting of such a huge ice sheet — spanning an area of 656,000 square miles (1.7 million square kilometers) — is important for various reasons, particularly its potential effect on sea levels. If melted completely, the Greenland ice sheet could contribute 23 feet (7 meters) to global sea-level rise, according to a 2007 report by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the international body charged with assessing climate change.

Scientists say that man-made global warming, a result of greenhouse gas emissions, is contributing to Greenland ice melt. In fact, past research has suggested that the Greenland ice sheet will vanish in 2,000 years under business-as-usual carbon emissions. If humans managed to limit global warming to 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius), the disappearance would take 50,000 years.

"and you tell me over and over and over and over again my friend,
you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.
no no you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction."
~ Barry McGuire

Wirey

Fartist
The line stating that this happens every 150 years and this melt is right on time according to the researchers makes me think that this isn't quite the end.

Trey of Diamonds

The line stating that this happens every 150 years and this melt is right on time according to the researchers makes me think that this isn't quite the end.

Not the end, the eve. ;)

I did think the info on how we can extend total meltage from 2000 years to 50000 years interesting.

Wirey

Fartist
Not the end, the eve. ;)

I did think the info on how we can extend total meltage from 2000 years to 50000 years interesting.

I think that's a stretch, though. It would require us to pull our collective heads out of our butts, and it's been my experience that people are, on a fundamental level, stupid. Except me.

Trey of Diamonds

Oooo, I love it when the numbers are hard.

Global Warming's Terrifying New Math

If the pictures of those towering wildfires in Colorado haven't convinced you, or the size of your AC bill this summer, here are some hard numbers about climate change: June broke or tied 3,215 high-temperature records across the United States. That followed the warmest May on record for the Northern Hemisphere – the 327th consecutive month in which the temperature of the entire globe exceeded the 20th-century average, the odds of which occurring by simple chance were 3.7 x 10-99, a number considerably larger than the number of stars in the universe.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
All I know that in the short term this winter is going to be really really bad for the wild animals here in the state.

Oak trees are dropping acorns now rather than use their limited energy on growing them in a season where they stand no chance of germinating. This means that all the animals that rely on acorns to help fatten up for the winter are going to be without this vital food source.
This is going to drive desperate animals into populated areas, especially bears who need to put on serious calories so they can survive the winter. Our bears are already stressed due to the unseasonably warm winter we had (most of the spring food sprang up early depriving them of post-hibernation calories).

If we happen to get a heavy snow this winter it's really going to be really bad news.

Trey of Diamonds

So, here's a question for those of you who may have voted back when this thread started 8 months ago.

Would you change your vote now or are you still satisfied with your original answer?

And here is a report on how our infrastructure is being affected by the current extreme weather we've been having.

Weather Extremes Leave Parts of U.S. Grid Buckling

From highways in Texas to nuclear power plants in Illinois, the concrete, steel and sophisticated engineering that undergird the nation’s infrastructure are being taxed to worrisome degrees by heat, drought and vicious storms.

On a single day this month here, a US Airways regional jet became stuck in asphalt that had softened in 100-degree temperatures, and a subway train derailed after the heat stretched the track so far that it kinked — inserting a sharp angle into a stretch that was supposed to be straight. In East Texas, heat and drought have had a startling effect on the clay-rich soils under highways, which “just shrink like crazy,” leading to “horrendous cracking,” said Tom Scullion, senior research engineer with the Texas Transportation Institute at Texas A&M University. In Northeastern and Midwestern states, he said, unusually high heat is causing highway sections to expand beyond their design limits, press against each other and “pop up,” creating jarring and even hazardous speed bumps.