• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming | Fact or Fiction?

How do you feel about Global Warming?

• Global Warming is a myth and the climate will stabilize soon.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Global Warming is happening but Humanity has nothing to do with it.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is partly to blame.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is mostly to blame.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is the only cause.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Don’t know, don’t care.

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

otokage007

I'm delighted to see that most people here thinks humans have something to do with climate change, even if we are from very different places in the world. Are we a little representation of how the whole world thinks? :)

Last edited:

InfidelRiot

We would have to be silly to think we are not a part of the global warming problem. The main problem I have noticed, however, is that some people tend to shrug at helping to do anything because they believe it should be left to future generations.

Trey of Diamonds

Arctic ice melt 'like adding 20 years of CO2 emissions'

The loss of Arctic ice is massively compounding the effects of greenhouse gas emissions, ice scientist Professor Peter Wadhams has told BBC Newsnight.

White ice reflects more sunlight than open water, acting like a parasol.

Melting of white Arctic ice, currently at its lowest level in recent history, is causing more absorption.

Prof Wadhams calculates this absorption of the sun's rays is having an effect "the equivalent of about 20 years of additional CO2 being added by man".

Trey of Diamonds

From dry rivers to dead deer, drought's impact felt everywhere

Well before Hurricane Isaac hit Louisiana and brought localized heavy flooding, the weather story of the summer was not about an abundance of water -- it was the lack thereof.

And it still is.

Farmers and residents in 40 states know this all too well, as this summer's blend of low rainfall and extreme heat has created a crisis for many. Over a recent six-week stretch, the U.S. Department of Agriculture designated 1,692 counties as disaster areas due to the drought. The department notes about 80% of agricultural land in the country is affected, making this year's drought more far-reaching than any since the 1950s.

Trey of Diamonds

"Lethally Hot" Earth Was Devoid of Life—Could It Happen Again?

Extinctions during the early Triassic period left Earth a virtual wasteland, largely because life literally couldn't take the heat, a new study suggests.

Between 247 to 252 million years ago, Earth was reeling from a mass extinction called the end-Permian event. The die-off had wiped out most life on Earth, including most land plants. The planet was baking, and life at the Equator struggled to survive.

Plants gobble up carbon dioxide, which warms the planet. So without them, Earth became "like a runaway greenhouse—it [started] to get out of control," said study co-author Paul Wignall, a paleontologist at England's Leeds University.

The few life-forms that had survived the Permian extinction—such as hardier snails and clams—died in the deadly heat, leaving Earth a virtual "dead zone" for five million years, said Wignall.

This is what I mean when I say the Earth is not in any danger, it will survive. Even if it has to appear lifeless for a few million years it will still recover and life will evolve to walk its surface once again. Of course we would be nothing but a collection of fossils and relics for the next intelligent race but Earth herself will still be around. The changes we must make are for our own survival not that of the planet. I think if the environmentalist would focus on the fact that its the survival of our own lives and culture rather than that of the planet they might be able to convince more people. Then again, people are going to be stupid no matter what logic you offer them. :rolleyes:

Orias

Left Hand Path
Global warming is a natural process, we are partially to blame because it would progress without us, just at a slower rate.

We have observed this process on Mercury.

atDissenter

...natural cycle of the climate itself. Sure, we have an impact and possibly we have increased the speed at which the climate is warming . ;)
Your points contradict each other. If humans are having an impact, that's not the "natural cycle." Of course one could argue that things like plastics, nuclear bombs and cars are "natural" but that's not what we're talking about. If we're causing something, that IS changing the cycle of things on Earth; that's not natural (normal).

The rapidity of the CO2 build-up in the atmosphere is rare in Earth's history. What Earth is going through is NOT the typical (natural) cycle. Of course, it is a "natural cycle" if you're talking million years vs the regular 10,000 year cycles. Humans have never seen spikes in CO2s like this.

Do we really have another planet to live after we're done experimenting on this one? Remember, NASA and the curiosity rover just found evidence of a past in which running water existed on Mars. You may thing, "see, no humans yet the planet "naturally" went belly up." Well, if one planet can fail to provide for life through "natural causes," what can it do if we provide additional help?

Are you so prepared that you can be wrong?

Trey of Diamonds

Your points contradict each other. If humans are having an impact, that's not the "natural cycle." Of course one could argue that things like plastics, nuclear bombs and cars are "natural" but that's not what we're talking about. If we're causing something, that IS changing the cycle of things on Earth; that's not natural (normal).

Everything of Earth has an impact on Earth. Humans are a natural part of Earth and our impact is natural and normal. You can NOT separate human actions from what is normal and natural in the Earth's ecology. No one says a honeycomb is not natural because if there were no bees there would be no honeycomb. Yet that is the exact logic you are trying to use against humanity. Sorry but that's a fail in my book.

Trey of Diamonds

NOAA, NASA: Antarctic ozone hole second smallest in 20 years

Warmer air temperatures high above the Antarctic led to the second smallest seasonal ozone hole in 20 years, according to NOAA and NASA satellite measurements. This year, the average size of the ozone hole was 6.9 million square miles (17.9 million square kilometers). The ozone layer helps shield life on Earth from potentially harmful ultraviolet (UV) radiation that can cause skin cancer and damage plants.

The Antarctic ozone hole forms in September and October, and this year, the hole reached its maximum size for the season on Sept. 22, stretching to 8.2 million square miles (21.2 million square kilometers), roughly the area of the United States, Canada and Mexico combined. In comparison, the largest ozone hole recorded to date was in 2000 at 11.5 million square miles (29.9 million square kilometers).

The Antarctic ozone hole began making a yearly appearance in the early 1980s, caused by chlorine released by manmade chemicals called chlorofluorocarbons or CFCs. The chlorine can rapidly break apart ozone molecules in certain conditions, and the temperature of the lower stratosphere plays an important role.

“It happened to be a bit warmer this year high in the atmosphere above Antarctica, and that meant we didn’t see quite as much ozone depletion as we saw last year, when it was colder,” said Jim Butler with NOAA’s Earth System Research Laboratory in Boulder, Colo.

Konjim

Today Global Warming happening due to Human are aware of its bad impact and it cause bad impact on life and life may End , Due to climate Changes .

Project Z is nice project . may me help but i am not Clear about project Z impact

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A probably off-topic question: you've been posting links to things like press-releases for some time (given that I participated in this thread shortly after joining the forums, and it had been around long before me). How do you decide (or find) the particular links you post? It seems as if you receive regular updates or check particular sources, such that when something new is released you post it here, but I am curious what exactly the process is (if you don't mind my asking). Thanks.