• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Global Warming | Fact or Fiction?

How do you feel about Global Warming?

• Global Warming is a myth and the climate will stabilize soon.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Global Warming is happening but Humanity has nothing to do with it.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is partly to blame.

Votes: 41 35.3%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is mostly to blame.

Votes: 52 44.8%
  • Global Warming is happening and Humanity is the only cause.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Don’t know, don’t care.

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

Trey of Diamonds

Personally, I don't think Humanity is as much to blame for Global Warming as the natural cycle of the climate itself. Sure, we have an impact and possibly we have increased the speed at which the climate is warming but it would still change without our being here. A also think that working to reverse global warming has a great deal of dangerous consequences that shouldn't be overlooked. I'm not talking about recycling and conservation or trying to reduce pollution, those things should of course continue. But if you are considering trying to force an ecosystem to never change you will destroy it. Change is constant in nature.

I think more effort should be put towards studying what the world will be like as it changes and what those changes will mean to our society. If the southern parts of the world become desert and the northern tundra becomes farm land, you can expect a very different world. Canada and Siberia will become the bread baskets of the world. Americans will be sneaking across the Canadian boarder to help pick crops. Oh, the irony of it all. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I need another option.
Global warming is happening, I care, but I'm an agnostic about the causes.

Trey of Diamonds

I need another option.
Global warming is happening, I care, but I'm an agnostic about the causes.

Fair enough, are you also agnostic about what to do about it? What do you think the out come will be? Raised shorelines with major flooding? No more artic ice? Vast deserts?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Fair enough, are you also agnostic about what to do about it? What do you think the out come will be? Raised shorelines with major flooding? No more artic ice? Vast deserts?
Surprisingly, many of the solutions proposed for AGW are also just good policy:
- Cutting fossil fuel usage
- Preserving greenspace
- Limiting population
- Eating bacon (It helps us deal with the emotional stress.)

The primary problem I see in GW is that resources & assets will be redistributed by our uncaring planet.
Some countries will win, & others will lose big time. Political & economic turmoil will reign.
It would be good to mitigate & plan for this.

Trey of Diamonds

Surprisingly, many of the solutions proposed for AGW are also just good policy:
- Cutting fossil fuel usage
- Preserving greenspace
- Limiting population
- Eating bacon (It helps us deal with the emotional stress.)

The primary problem I see in GW is that resources & assets will be redistributed by our uncaring planet.
Some countries will win, & others will lose big time. Political & economic turmoil will reign.
It would be good to mitigate & plan for this.

My thoughts exactly! (Especially eating bacon. :D)

Care to guess which countries might come out on top after the redistribution?

Trey of Diamonds

Russia & Canada stand to benefit from a warmer climate.
The Maldives will be no more.

No more New Orleans either. We're looking at a completely different coast line. Do you think Russia and Canada are going to welcome the refugees from newly formed deserts or will the human races latest migration end in a major war over real estate?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No more New Orleans either. We're looking at a completely different coast line. Do you think Russia and Canada are going to welcome the refugees from newly formed deserts or will the human races latest migration end in a major war over real estate?
There will be trouble.
I don't predict specifics.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Global Warming is happening, but it's difficult to tell just how much is caused by us and how much is the earth's own natural cycle. Personally I think we should just abandon the whole idea of Global Warming and instead focus solely on doing away with our very limited fuels that we know for sure are very limited in quantity and toxic through their pollution and replacing them with sustainable energy that will be here tomorrow and won't leave the future generations dealing with polluted air.

Trey of Diamonds

Wow, a lot of people think humans are mostly to blame for Global Warming. Why is that? Is it not possible that the planet would be warming with or without us?

waitasec

Veteran Member
it is possible...but pollution is our fault.
and pollution is causing a lot of health problems...
but then again we are subjected to the ways of nature and this may be her way to thin out the human population lest we destroy our host.

Trey of Diamonds

it is possible...but pollution is our fault.
and pollution is causing a lot of health problems...
but then again we are subjected to the ways of nature and this may be her way to thin out the human population lest we destroy our host.

Destroying the host is not possible. Nothing that we can do will destroy all life on earth, we are nowhere near that powerful.

Pollution is our fault and it puts us at risk. The question in this thread is how much impact on Global Warming does pollution have? Does pollution cause Global Warming? Speed it up? Slow it down?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Destroying the host is not possible. Nothing that we can do will destroy all life on earth, we are nowhere near that powerful.
you are right. but if we with our pollution make the earth uninhabitable for human life the host, as far as our perspective is concerned, has been destroyed.

Pollution is our fault and it puts us at risk. The question in this thread is how much impact on Global Warming does pollution have? Does pollution cause Global Warming? Speed it up? Slow it down?

don't know...
:shrug:

Trey of Diamonds

you are right. but if we with our pollution make the earth uninhabitable for human life the host, as far as our perspective is concerned, has been destroyed.

Nope, the parasite has been destroyed. The host lives on, quite happily in fact. If you insist on using the host/parasite analogy then you should use it correctly. When environmentalist talk of destroying the earth they are using propaganda techniques to exaggerate the issue and make it sound much worse than it really is. This is counter productive because those who recognise such techniques will stop listening, not caring whether the speaker is saying something important or not.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Nope, the parasite has been destroyed. The host lives on, quite happily in fact. If you insist on using the host/parasite analogy then you should use it correctly. When environmentalist talk of destroying the earth they are using propaganda techniques to exaggerate the issue and make it sound much worse than it really is. This is counter productive because those who recognise such techniques will stop listening, not caring whether the speaker is saying something important or not.

but what good is the host if the parasite is gone?

Trey of Diamonds

but what good is the host if the parasite is gone?

To the parasite, not much good at all. But I'm sure the host would be very happy to see the parasite gone. The relationship is not symbiotic where both parasite and host are interdependant on each other.

You attach a lot of importance to the human race to the planet's well being. But the opposite is true, we are very destructive to the planet's well being so eliminating us would be very helpful to it. Maybe its better that the Earth isn't sentient, we wouldn't win a war with her.