• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl Scouts face backlash over tweet congratulating Amy Coney Barrett

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is ridiculous and out of hand. People need to calm down. This is why I'm afraid to wear my MAGA hat in my heavily Democratic city.
In my heavily democratic city someone snapped the Darwin fish decal off my husband's car, broke it in two, and shoved it in his windshield. And in my parent's heavily republican city, they held up a random black person at gunpoint during the fires because they figured he was a looter (he lived there.) People of any stripe in any place can be ********.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
In my heavily democratic city someone snapped the Darwin fish decal off my husband's car, broke it in two, and shoved it in his windshield. And in my parent's heavily republican city, they held up a random black person at gunpoint during the fires because they figured he was a looter (he lived there.) People of any stripe in any place can be ********.
Yes, that's certainly true. I just can't wait for the election nonsense to be over. It's too stressful.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The left never cared about free speech and expression unless it praises themselves.

I'd swear their creed is to always attack those who don't tow the leftist line.

Sweet cupcake, please. As if the right doesn't criticize statements they don't agree with all the time. Either way, it isn't "anti free speech" to openly disagree with or denounce what others say or do.
If some religious group praised a pro abortion politician or judge, you would expect conservatives to criticize them for it, and of course you would sit there silently rather than screech about free speech.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Girl Scouts spark backlash from left after congratulating Justice Amy Coney Barrett

So, they posted it, then they deleted it.

They got a lot of flak from liberals for posting the congratulatory tweet, so they deleted it. Then, they got flak from conservatives for deleting it. They just can't win.

The political atmosphere is just getting too ugly. People are getting so trigger happy that they're attacking the Girl Scouts.

I see nothing wrong with their tweet.
I also think we need to be careful saying that 'the left' wanted it taken down, and 'the right' didn't.

We don't need to cede such power to the loudest voices.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Come on, kid. Think about it.
Does it make sense for an organization whose purpose is empowering girls to praise someone who espouses misogynistic views? No.

At a macro level? It's fine. We don't need to run every tweet through a layer of judgement.
People seem to enjoy being outraged over crap like this, and don't seem at all as invested in the absolute travesty of a voting system in place in Texas, where there is one voter drop in box servicing Houston and surrounds.

To be clear, I'm not aiming that at you, just talking with you. Somewhere along the line too many worked out it takes less investment to be angry about a tweet from the Girls Scouts than try and address actual systemic issues.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
One person says something, someone else replies, and the first person reconsiders and retracts their original statement.

This is not censorship. It is conversation.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Girl Scouts spark backlash from left after congratulating Justice Amy Coney Barrett

They got a lot of flak from liberals for posting the congratulatory tweet, so they deleted it. Then, they got flak from conservatives for deleting it. They just can't win.

The political atmosphere is just getting too ugly. People are getting so trigger happy that they're attacking the Girl Scouts.

The problem is not the people attacking but the people backing down for fear of reprisal. If you feel strongly about something say it and support it. If you don't feel strongly don't post something just for advertising yourself. Politicians pivot constantly and the public understands this but they hold private and public representatives to a higher standard. This private and public representatives need to understand this and then stand strongly behind their convictions. They will get more respect for doing so then detractors but the detractors will be louder.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Yes, viewpoint are not longer accepted. There seems to be no "agree to disagree--let's go have a cup of coffee together".

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I see nothing wrong with their tweet.
I also think we need to be careful saying that 'the left' wanted it taken down, and 'the right' didn't.

We don't need to cede such power to the loudest voices.

True, although I didn't really see this as being about 'the left' or 'the right.' It's more about how people get way too worked up over relatively minor things.

PureX

Veteran Member
When will they learn to stay away from politics and religion? Every time they insist on meddling in these subjects it comes back to bite them in the butt.