1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl Scouts face backlash over tweet congratulating Amy Coney Barrett

Discussion in 'North American Politics' started by Stevicus, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8,381
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Girl Scouts spark backlash from left after congratulating Justice Amy Coney Barrett

So, they posted it, then they deleted it.

They got a lot of flak from liberals for posting the congratulatory tweet, so they deleted it. Then, they got flak from conservatives for deleting it. They just can't win.

The political atmosphere is just getting too ugly. People are getting so trigger happy that they're attacking the Girl Scouts.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DagonVarunaMitraApolloZan

Ratings:
    +621
    Religion:
    Syncretic Universal Monotheism
    Lol, thank you for showing that horrible and sad story. I feel very bad and afraid of ever becoming a public figure myself, terrified, with the way the media and opinions and attacks for everything are, it just seems too crappy, no fun at all.

They shouldn't have chickened out and deleted it though, their point seemed to be "Yay Women, Women in Powerful Positions, Become a Girl Scout and see your future a potentially empowered Woman" and that seems totally fine to me and appropriate for the organization to celebrate that and make a statement.

I don't know what the person could have said that made it out to be a bad thing? Just that Trump selected her or something? She is a real judge person, not just some rando, I think she will probably do fine in her position, plus she has all those other people there with her too, big deal, she seems the least of anyone's problems really.

Gosh, the world is so yucky seeming these days.

3. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Religion:
    Hindu
    We can't just be fellow humans anymore, talking to one another. Everything we say or do has to have some kind of political meaning behind it.

Makes me a bit sad. :(

• Like Like x 3
  4. DagonVarunaMitraApolloZan

Ratings:
    +621
    Religion:
    Syncretic Universal Monotheism
    Me too. I'm a pretty non-political type though, and avoid those sorts of conversations mainly I think, and still seem to engage the humanity in some people. People who seem over politicized on either side seem like they lose their humanity almost and become party drones.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. tytlyf

tytlyf The Mind Eye

Ratings:
    +2,966
    People were disappointed because she's a sham candidate. Who can't name the 5 Essential Freedoms protected by the 1st amendment.
    At that point is when the interview is over. Next.
    Amy is not in the same league as the other women.

6. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    Religion:
    Hindu
    I can understand not wanting her in the position(she wasn't my choice), but I thought a women's(or girls, more specifically) organization congratulating a woman for receiving a high ranking position wasn't really that out of line.

It just seems like the constant criticism(one side criticizes for commenting, another for deleting) is a bit extreme and counterproductive.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Saint Frankenstein

Saint Frankenstein Ov Fire and the Void
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,047
    Religion:
    Germanic Heathenry / Satanism
    This is ridiculous and out of hand. People need to calm down. This is why I'm afraid to wear my MAGA hat in my heavily Democratic city.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tytlyf

tytlyf The Mind Eye

Ratings:
    +2,966
    The Girl Scouts should be outraged at what happened.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Virtue, Piety, Study
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,047
    Religion:
    Druidry
    Really? I live in Seattle next to Trump supporters, and see plenty of them around too. What's there to be afraid of?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +12,390
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    The left never cared about free speech and expression unless it praises themselves.

I'd swear their creed is to always attack those who don't tow the leftist line.

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. Ponder This

Ponder This Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +431
    The post honoring Amy Barrett also honors all five women Supreme Court Justices. The Girls Scouts also have specific individual social media posts mourning the death of Ruth Bader's Ginsburg (and honoring her appointment) and honoring Sonia Sotomayor (as a prominent latina Girl Scout Alum). Both Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi have been honored by the Girl Scouts. It is also common for the Girl Scouts to retract social media posts honoring public figures when there are complaints. This is not an example of the political atmosphere getting more ugly than it already was; it was already this bad. Nor is it an example of the Girl Scouts behaving in a way they don't normally do in response to political pressure.

These are posts made by the Girl Scouts organization and it is not surprising to see mothers get upset at the organization for these perceived missteps and refuse to buy their cookies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,047
    Religion:
    I see people wearing Trump stuff at times here, but they have cars. It's different when you have to walk or ride the bus. There have been news articles about people being attacked for wearing Trump gear. I really don't want to deal with any confrontations. I prefer to be left alone.

13. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Veteran Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,598
    Religion:
    liber-scripta grim Christian
    Well.....they caught flak from Democratic Party supporters. Liberals? Perhaps coincidentally, but yelling at Girl Scout leaders doesn't make one a liberal. Nor does being a Democrat.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. The Hammer

The Hammer Virtue, Piety, Study
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,047
    Religion:
    Druidry
    I prefer to not live in fear. If someone wants to attack me for my political gear, so be it.

Edit: But I've always found wearing political apparel like sports team apparel is stupid.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Saint Frankenstein

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,047
    Religion:
    That's a good point. It's their problem, not mine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +2,688
    That is so wrong. You shouldn’t be afraid. Embarrassed, sure. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Watchmen

Watchmen Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +841
    More intolerance from the party that preaches tolerance. Not surprised.

18. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,388
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    It's not just a "girl's organization." They're very clear about how they're very values-focused:

I'm not sure how someone who upholds these values could support Barrett's appointment.

19. Mr Spinkles

Ratings:
    +2,688
    The OP is pretty silly. The Girl Scouts Tweet seemed very down the fairway to me.

20. ADigitalArtist

ADigitalArtist Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +10,486
    Religion:
    Irreligious Agnostic Atheistic Apatheist
    I don't care enough about girl scouts for their support either way making a difference to me.