• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genesis of Genesis: Where Did the Biblical Story of Creation Come From?

sooda

Veteran Member
You will find a lot of stories similar someway to genesis but all are stories and provide nothing, other than some images for your imagination. Genesis can also be read as a story l, which is good to. But the inner understanding provides far more than just a story.

"The Sumerian myths date to a minimum of 1,000 years before the Genesis account was written. It was THE cosmology of the day and THE science of the day. It influenced the later Chaldean and Babylonian cultures and from them spread far and wide to many other cultures in the surrounding nations including the Assyrians, Hittites, Hurrians, Akkadians, Elamites and Canaanites. It found its way through Hebrew scribes into the record of Genesis.

Abraham and his family came from Ur, which on three different occasions was the capital city of Sumer. Abraham was NOT a Semite; he was a Sumerian. In Genesis 24: 3-4 Abraham sent his servant to Sumer to bring back a wife for Isaac, because he did not want him to marry a Semite. The ancient proto-Hebrews were Sumerians and Genesis is influenced by Abraham's Sumerian cosmology, science and theological thinking. "

sooda

Veteran Member
Since the Genesis stories bounced around campfires for thousands of years before Moses (allegedly) wrote them down, it’s difficult to nail down their origin.

Yes there are more ancient stories from more ancient cultures. Many cultures have flood stories along with creation stories. Some are similar, some are not. I doubt we’ll ever know the origin since such stories tend to evolve over time. It’s only with a written record that the evolution of a story can be tracked.

Yep.. The genesis story was written down 1500 years before the bible story.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
lololol. Moses is a literary device. Are you in the 6th grade?
Is the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt a literary device, too? (IYO, of course. Not saying it's not in other people's opinions also,but what about yours? Is Jesus a literary device? Before that, was the exodus a literary device?) :)

sooda

Veteran Member
Is the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt a literary device, too? (IYO, of course. Not saying it's not in other people's opinions also,but what about yours? Is Jesus a literary device? Before that, was the exodus a literary device?) :)

Its didactic literature. There never was any Exodus. Its a story about redemption.

YoursTrue

Its didactic literature. There never was any Exodus. Its a story about redemption.
Well, sometimes I like to hear other people's opinions. So tell me, is the entire account historically from the entrance to Israel through the destruction of the temple in the first century a made up story, in your opinion?

sooda

Veteran Member
Well, sometimes I like to hear other people's opinions. So tell me, is the entire account historically from the entrance to Israel through the destruction of the temple in the first century a made up story, in your opinion?

Yes, for the most part it is made up. There is no evidence that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt nor of an Exodus of 2 million people and their livestock. There is no evidence they were ever in Sinai which, like Canaan, was under the control of Egypt and the pharaoh at the time. There is NO evidence that Joshua ever had a large army or destroyed any Canaanite towns. ALL the archaeological findings indicate that the Canaanites were successful, involved in mining, metallurgy and pottery making.

You might consider how 2 million people and their herds left Goshen yet Jerusalem at the time of David was 10 acres and less than a thousand people.

It appears to me to be the story of a small Bedouin tribe who settled in the hill country. The evidence points to them being Canaanites and borrowing heavily from Canaanite mythology… particularly from Psalms. There is NO evidence for David and Solomon .. In fact, the building attributed to Solomon was done under king Omri.

Why is it that you don't know this stuff?

YoursTrue

Yes, for the most part it is made up. There is no evidence that the Jews were ever enslaved in Egypt nor of an Exodus of 2 million people and their livestock. There is no evidence they were ever in Sinai which, like Canaan, was under the control of Egypt and the pharaoh at the time. There is NO evidence that Joshua ever had a large army or destroyed any Canaanite towns. ALL the archaeological findings indicate that the Canaanites were successful, involved in mining, metallurgy and pottery making.

You might consider how 2 million people and their herds left Goshen yet Jerusalem at the time of David was 10 acres and less than a thousand people.

It appears to me to be the story of a small Bedouin tribe who settled in the hill country. The evidence points to them being Canaanites and borrowing heavily from Canaanite mythology… particularly from Psalms. There is NO evidence for David and Solomon .. In fact, the building attributed to Solomon was done under king Omri.

what about the Temple remains in Jerusalem? Was the Temple a myth, too?

YoursTrue

Just because there are myths pertaining to an event or belief does not make the Bible false. When the Jews were in the wilderness, Pharaoh was killed. AND his first-born son was already dead. The Jews in Sinai did not build cities such as one which has been unearthed recently due to water erosion in the Tigris region. https://nypost.com/2019/07/02/ancient-3400-year-old-palace-discovered-after-drought-reveals-ruins/

YoursTrue

Probably not. Temples and Ziggurats were popular all over Mesopotamia and Syria.
The Roman siege of Jerusalem, was that a myth, too? The way you're talking, I wonder if you even believe the nation of Israel even existed at all before the 1st century C.E.

sooda

Veteran Member
The Roman siege of Jerusalem, was that a myth, too? The way you're talking, I wonder if you even believe the nation of Israel even existed at all before the 1st century C.E.

It wasn't just Roman soldiers.. Titus had Arabs, Egyptians and Syria fighting alongside his troops. They were part of the first century Roman Empire.

Israel existed.. and they were more prosperous than Judah. Do you understand why most of Jesus mission was in the north?

sooda

Veteran Member
Just because there are myths pertaining to an event or belief does not make the Bible false. When the Jews were in the wilderness, Pharaoh was killed. AND his first-born son was already dead. The Jews in Sinai did not build cities such as one which has been unearthed recently due to water erosion in the Tigris region. https://nypost.com/2019/07/02/ancient-3400-year-old-palace-discovered-after-drought-reveals-ruins/

Which pharaoh was killed while they were in Sinai?

Audie

Veteran Member
Butting in to point that
"Just because...does not mean"
cuts both ways.

Of course just coz part is false does
not mean all is,

But just coz part is true (Israel and Egypt, say,
which are real) does not mean all of the stories
about them are real.

YoursTrue

Which pharaoh was killed while they were in Sinai?
That was when Pharaoh and his army chased after the Israelites and others leaving Egypt in the Red Sea. He died evidently drowning in the sea. I don't have his name right now, not sure if the Bible mentions it. Meantime I wonder if you believe Babylon existed and if you believe it conquered Jerusalem.

YoursTrue

It wasn't just Roman soldiers.. Titus had Arabs, Egyptians and Syria fighting alongside his troops. They were part of the first century Roman Empire.

Israel existed.. and they were more prosperous than Judah. Do you understand why most of Jesus mission was in the north?
Do you believe Jesus existed?

sooda

Veteran Member
That was when Pharaoh and his army chased after the Israelites and others leaving Egypt in the Red Sea. He died evidently drowning in the sea. I don't have his name right now, not sure if the Bible mentions it. Meantime I wonder if you believe Babylon existed and if you believe it conquered Jerusalem.

No Pharaoh drowned crossing the Red Sea.. That's a bad movie version of the myth.

The Babylonian exile was real. Exodus was not.