• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Radicals Disrupt/Protest Worship Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
With all due respect, I disagree. The only thing revolting about that ad was the bigotry (coming from your Church, I'm afraid) which it accurately criticized.

I love how that add made a gross generalization on all Mormons and everyone has been praising it. And in this thread I get attacked for supposedly making a "generalization" against homosexuals that I have refuted at length. Nice work with the double standard everyone. Keep it up. ;)

As to the validity of the article. Anyone have any information on how credible the originating site is? From what I've seen it seems to be a pretty normal news paper. And it almost looks like there were no arrests due to the Church not really wanting anyone to be arrested.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I hope you were not surprised. It was as predictable as the sun's rising. The "gay" community is noted for its undisciplined behavior and disregard for others.

One of the most disciplined people I've ever met in my life..Is a 28 year old BLACK GAY MAN...I've known him since he was about 13 years old..He is my oldest sons best friend..And the "Godfather" of my grandaby now..

He recieved that postion of honor for the exemplary way he has lead his life..

Love

Dallas

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I love how that add made a gross generalization on all Mormons and everyone has been praising it.
Everyone?

I didn't. I made a point of speaking against it.

And in this thread I get attacked for supposedly making a "generalization" against homosexuals that I have refuted at length. Nice work with the double standard everyone. Keep it up. ;)
So you aren't basing your position on the general issue of gay rights on the actions of this particular group, then?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I love how that add made a gross generalization on all Mormons and everyone has been praising it. And in this thread I get attacked for supposedly making a "generalization" against homosexuals that I have refuted at length. Nice work with the double standard everyone. Keep it up. ;)

Except that I don't see it making that generalization. I see it as a metaphor for the church. Obviously not every Mormon acts like in the commercial, and I don't think the commercial implies that. However, the Mormon church did actively seek to take away homosexuals' right to marry, as symbolized by the Mormons in the ad.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Apex,

I think you are bitter about that ad..Please realize..that most rationally thinking "educated" people do not for one second believe that ad represented ALL Mormons..But IMHO?..It did represent some of them..And OF course it was dramatized..Most normal again "rationally" thinking people do not believe for one second Mormons were "litterally" going into the homes of gay marrieds and ripping their wedding rings off and tearing up their marriage certificates..But the Mormon church did represent part of the forefront of accomplishing removing the rights of married gay people with Prop 8...And I REALIZE it wasnt only "Mormons"..or ALL Mormons..

Maybe..you should try and trust people a little tiny bit more..

Love

Dallas

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Ok, first, Zippy, calm down. Throwing insults back at them will accomplish nothing. Second, is this really how the gay community wants to present itself to the rest of us? First we get the revolting add about the LDS Church and then they quite literally invade another church screaming insults.

I don't think I can put my support behind the gay community if this kind of behavior continues. In fact, I think they have lost it completely.

Sounds like a weird, stupid, inappropriate protest to me. What the heck did they think that would accomplish?
Is it your normal practice to group all members of a group together, as if they represented all gay activists? Cuz, y'know, there's this Mormon group down in Texas that is doing some really weird stuff...

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Since when are the FLDS part of our Church? And I am not taking this event in isolation. Recently a very, in my opinion, bigoted and revolting add was published by the Gay community about my Church. Taking both of these events together shows a growing amount of this kind of behavior beginning to occur. While I have supported homosexual rights in the past, and still do, I will not support the groups if this kind of behavior continues. Now, if large Gay activists groups come out and publicly denounce this act, that is a different story. However, I would also like to see them denounce the add against my Church but I doubt that will ever happen.

Here's the ad.
What's bigoted about it? Sounds like it's O.K. with you for the Mormon Church to go to California and spend millions of dollars fighting gay rights, but not O.K. for gay people to expose that fact.

As far as denouncing a couple of oddly disruptive queens in a tiny church in a small town in Michigan--I doubt that most people know or care. I mean, they "unfurled a banner and threw down leaflets." Oh no! It's not like they picketed some poor straight person's funeral. I suppose you've taken a lot of trouble to denounce those actions? Before they extended to soldiers, when they were only bothering mourning gay people?

As for FLDS, they're certainly part of the Mormon community, and deserve to be lumped in with you just as much as these weirdos deserve to be lumped in with me.

turk179

I smell something....
If this article is genuine then it was wrong for this group to do this. Just like it was wrong for Christians to get involved at a Wiccan family's house during their worship in Florida. Wrong is wrong. And I hardly think that Zippy would be able to beat up some gays if they disrupted his church but if he could then he should be arrested right along with the offending group.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
What gross genealization?

In the 60 second commercial, produced by the Courage Campaign Issues Committee, two missionaries knock on a door and say they are from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They tell the lesbian couple "we are here to take away your rights." They enter the house, take away the women's rings, and ransack their home looking for their marriage license. Finding it, they tear it up.
At the close of the commercial, the missionaries walk away, saying "that was too easy, yeah, what should we ban next?"

Is this not true? Did the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints not spend millions of dollars trying to take away the rights of gay Californians? Have you spent much energy denouncing that?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Yes wrong is wrong..I agree..But I find it a wee bit hillarious..at the outrage over someting like this..How is such an event worth screaming and crying about..When the fact of the matter is all be it very intrusive and wrong..(what the gay activist did..IF the article is accurate)..How disgusted people are over it..those people in that church went home..and continued to enjoy the liberties afforded to them..This "event" did not strip any of those people of their legal rights on a permenant basis..

How pray tell..are their lives permenantly affected that protesters invaded their space?..They are not...On the flip?..Its just the opposite..

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
These people who are the epidemy of tolerance desecrate a house of worship. And the weenie cops did nothing.

Pretty soon are we going to police our own churches and keep the freeks of society out because our own law enforcement has left their fortitude in the car?

These freeks gave up their free speech rights when they crossed the line disrupting a group worshipping God according to thier rights under the Constitution.

Gay rights protesters disrupt Sunday service | lansingstatejournal.com | Lansing State Journal

The fact they were gay protesters seems to be of more importance than the actual protest to you,if the protest did no harm whats the big deal we have peotests outside the houses of Parliament all the time and the rarely make the news.
You also say they are desecrating the house of God and hint at a bit of mindless violence to get them out (you did say this was a house of God) surely God would'nt use violence.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Try this one: What if a large, well-funded gay group donated millions of dollars to push an initiative to outlaw Mormon marriages--how do you think the Mormons would feel about that?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Everyone?

I didn't. I made a point of speaking against it.
Sorry if I was in a hurry and typed "everyone" instead "a lot of people". Thank you for speaking against it but I also think you know what I meant.

So you aren't basing your position on the general issue of gay rights on the actions of this particular group, then?
This group alone, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.