• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gay Radicals Disrupt/Protest Worship Services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watchmen said:
My response was not way off base. Money matters, BUT the bottom line is the LDS voters in Cali are only 2% of the population.
That's true but by no means the "bottom line". They don't bear repeating but again I refer you to the numbers I cited.

Now you're overstating. There are statements from LDS leaders that there would be no sactions for those who opposed prop 8.
Actually it would have been quite surprising to me if there had been. But fair enough, let me rephrase: It's certainly more difficult to reach that majority when the LDS Church leadership asks its followers to do all they can to oppose civil rights.

How's that? The part underlined comes directly from California and Same-Sex Marriage - LDS Newsroom

Alceste

Vagabond
Of course money influences votes by paying for advertising.

However, a person gets to vote how they choose to vote and more people voted YES. I think it's time the gay community gets a proposition of their own. Only when a majority of voters side with the gay community will this be put to rest, IMO.

Actually, your country has a constitution which makes prop 8 illegal. This will only be "put to rest" when the US constitution is either amended or the unequal treatment of same sex couples is overturned in court. What do voters have to do with it?

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
OK.....Not sure all the events on that day at the church were reported correctly. There is one thing we all can agree on....I guess....Any actions that deprive another person of their constitutional rights in this country is wrong. Any disruption at that church, especially inside, fits the bill. I finally found some footage of what happened. So far I've found nothing else on this issue but a bunch of articles. Apparently people entered the church and shouted, in the middle of the service, "It's ok to be gay" then they proceeded to toss around flyers. That's wrong. If they stayed outside and protested peacefully that would be fine but they had to go to the next level and bring their fight inside the church. Other than disruption I'm not sure what they hoped to accomplish. If anything this reinforces "some" of the attitudes people have against the gay/lesbian community. So far here's the only video I've found;

YouTube - Homosexuals Attack Mt. Hope Church - O'Reilly Factor

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The tithe did not go towards the Prop 8 campaign.

Can you give more info?

9-10th_Penguin listed information of LDS contribution to Prop 8 (http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/1334792-post153.html). Is this information incorrect?

If they spent $2.8 million dollars on this initiative then where did it come from? Personally, I suspect a large portion of this money, from them, is due to church member commitment (tithing)......

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Can you give more info?

9-10th_Penguin listed information of LDS contribution to Prop 8 (http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/1334792-post153.html). Is this information incorrect?

If they spent $2.8 million dollars on this initiative then where did it come from? Personally, I suspect a large portion of this money, from them, is due to church member commitment (tithing)......
The Church has many other sources of revenue than only tithing.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
If having a roof over your head is a fundamental right as well, does that mean the gardener should move into my house? How about we build him his own? Just like the gay people who have been previously disadvantaged and have not been able to marry...should we give them the heterosexaul marriage institution, or give them their own institution? Why are gay people not happy with civil unions? Rather fight that to make it what they want it to be, dont take what belongs to another.

I

Heneni

Better yet...what's the problem in NOT allowing them to marry?

I think that if the states only want to recognize "Civil Unions"....., and I don't think all the states at this time even do that,....then the civil union should be observed the same way a marriage does....with all the rights a spouse would have under marriage.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Hi Luisdantas

If i were gay, i would feel like i wanted my own type of marriage that is not the same as heterosexual marriages.

I would want to have my own identity and to celebrate that unique identity i would want my own type of 'marriage'.

I find it odd that the gay community isn't working harder to have civil unions changed in a way that they would approve of. Rather they are trying to take on the old traditional heterosexual marriage, and make that their own.

Its contradicting. While gay people advocate that their equal and yet unique in their sexual preferences, they are not trying hard enough to get their own unique marriage, but rather wants to take on the heterosexual marriage which in effect is NOT what they are.

So...whats up? The gay people are not hetereosexual, yet they want what has been identified with heterosexual union for eons.

Is this just about 'getting what we want' and if we dont 'heterosexual people are evil and discriminating'?

I'd have to do more research....but maybe the proponents of gay rights "have" been trying to expand civil unions to be equal to "traditional marriage" but have failed. I believe reading that a marriage vs. a civil union are strikingly different. There are a list of right under marriage that are not available to those in the gay/lesbial community who seek a civil union.

I believe religion has no say so in the matter. The states can allow gay marriages. Churches are exempt from performing the ceremonies but can If they want to. Gay and lesbian people can just go down to their local municipality to get married, go to Vegas (cause you know they'll marry anyone in Vegas). There's even the ability of the average person being certified to marry people. You don't have to be a minister of a church. My position is if all the states observe "Civil Unions" then they should have all the same rights as a "traditionally married" couple otherwise let them get the "traditional marriage".....IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.