• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fulfilled Prophesy

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I fear that this thread may be working against me. I started it hoping that there would be people from a vareity of religions who would post about the prophesys in their religion. But now I realize that doing so might invalidate them using those prophesys as proof of their religion, discouraging everyone to post but the Christians. Now I'm left to do the homework on my own. I should have some time this weekend to get it done. Off the top of my head I don't think I've ever heard of any prophesys outside of Christianity. Mormonism has plenty but I consider them to be Christian, but then again, at least it's outside of the Bible.

Ozzie

Kungfuzed said:
Any prophesy that hasn't been fulfilled yet will be some day. Even if it takes an infinite ammount of time. ;)
Precisely. This definition of prophesy is circular requiring fulfillment "one day" as criteria for its current status as a prophecy. The process of validation of "fulfilled prophecy" is open to abuse due to the vaguaries and temporal limits on living memory. Prophecy is a descriptive term used to define belief in the ability to predict the future and should not be used as a factual term at all IMO.

PHOTOTAKER

Ozzie said:
Precisely. This definition of prophesy is circular requiring fulfillment "one day" as criteria for its current status as a prophecy. The process of validation of "fulfilled prophecy" is open to abuse due to the vaguaries and temporal limits on living memory. Prophecy is a descriptive term used to define belief in the ability to predict the future and should not be used as a factual term at all IMO.

yea but there soo much fun!!!

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Kungfuzed said:
I fear that this thread may be working against me. I started it hoping that there would be people from a vareity of religions who would post about the prophesys in their religion. But now I realize that doing so might invalidate them using those prophesys as proof of their religion, discouraging everyone to post but the Christians. Now I'm left to do the homework on my own. I should have some time this weekend to get it done. Off the top of my head I don't think I've ever heard of any prophesys outside of Christianity. Mormonism has plenty but I consider them to be Christian, but then again, at least it's outside of the Bible.

Native Americans had a lot of prophesies in their belief systems.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
trying to prove a religion through prophecy is silly.
even the 900-number T.V psycic gets things right from time to time.

wa:do

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
It's not about proving it right, to me at least. I'm just very interested in the prophecy and lore of different theologies.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
ah but that is eventually what it boils down to... my prophet is better than your prophet.

sadly there are many religions that base some of thier validity solely on the ability of thier past prophets to have been right... even if it means fudging things to make them look better.

wa:do

may

Kungfuzed said:
Don't most major religions pretty much make the same claims of their prophecies? I mean, I'm not all that familiar with other religions, so maybe you're right and Christianity is the only religion making prophecies that come true. I'll have to look into it and see if I can find any examples.
God makes bible prophecy come true.

may

God makes bible prophecy come true, and the end of false religion is near because Jehovah God, who judged her, is strong

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
may said:
God makes bible prophecy come true.

And who makes the prophecys of other religions come true? Can you debunk their prophesys without debunking your own? Is your only argument that your God is real and everyone elses isn't?

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Ozzie said:
If you believe in the supernatural it is likely you also believe that you or someone sharing your supernatural beliefs can predict the future ( the future is an intangible just as God is). If fulfilled prophesies are a mark of a true religion as someone said earlier, then religion is on shaky ground. What is to stop all manner of predictions being made, some of them coming to fruition (or interpreted as such), and then retrospectively the prophesy is labelled. (the Nostradamus example comes to mind). What about all the predictions bearing no fruit. Are these a mark of a false religion? You can't have it both ways.

Here's a big fancy latin word concerning what you're saying: vaticinium ex eventu

may

Kungfuzed said:
And who makes the prophecys of other religions come true? Can you debunk their prophesys without debunking your own? Is your only argument that your God is real and everyone elses isn't?
psalm 83;18
That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,​
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.............................there is only one Almighty God and the bible tells me his name is Jehovah,and as he is the most high , he is a God who foretells the future,and it always comes true , nothing and nobody can stop bible prophecy from coming true.
Considering how the Bible is a book of reliable prophecy is faith strengthening, is it not? After all, if Jehovah God has fulfilled his past promises, we have every reason to be confident that he will also fulfill his promise of a paradise earth. (Numbers 23:19) Indeed, we have "hope of the everlasting life which God, who cannot lie, promised before times long lasting."—Titus 1:2.
The destruction of Babylon is just one example of fulfilled Bible prophecy. Other examples include the destruction of Tyre and Nineveh. (Ezekiel 26:1-5; Zephaniah 2:13-15) Also, Daniel’s prophecy foretold a succession of world empires that would come into power after Babylon. These included Medo-Persia and Greece. (Daniel 8:5-7, 20-22)
and of course many Messianic prophecies that were fulfilled in Jesus Christ. and the prophecy that is soon to be fullfilled is that............. the end of false religion is near,that is why God tells his people to get out of false religion revelation 18;4 the world empire of false religion is known in the bible as a symbolic woman with the name BABYLON THE GREAT............ yes bible prophecy always comes true there is no stopping it.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Some quotes taken from the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy
Throughout history, people have sought knowledge of future events from special individuals or groups who were thought to have the gift of prophecy, such as Oracles at Delphi in ancient Greece. Cultures in which prophecy played an important role include the Assyrians, Celts, Chaldeans, Chinese, Druids, Egyptians, Greeks, Hebrews, Indians, indigineous North Americans, Mayans, Tibetans, and many in the Christian and Muslim traditions, among others.
Prophecys of the Oracle of Delphi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famous_Oracular_Statements_from_Delphi

This has lots of good info on the prophets of different religions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophet
Other people throughout history have been described as prophets in the sense of foretelling the future (as opposed to forthtelling the message of the Deity). Examples of such prophets include:

* Nostradamus
* Nathan of Gaza
* Shirdi Sai Baba
* Sathya Sai Baba
* Douglas James Cottrell
* Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (Madame Blavatsky)
* Deganawidah
* Dan Evehema, Hopi Elder
* Mitar Tarabich
* John Titor
* Jeane Dixon
* Richard Rossi
* Hal Lindsey
* Edgar Cayce
* William Miller
* Merlin the wizard
* Mother Shipton
* Elizabeth Clare Prophet
* St Malachy - see Prophecy of the Popes

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
may said:
psalm 83;18
That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,​
You alone are the Most High over all the earth.............................there is only one Almighty God and the bible tells me his name is Jehovah,and as he is the most high , he is a God who foretells the future,and it always comes true , nothing and nobody can stop bible prophecy from coming true.
Considering how the Bible is a book of reliable prophecy is faith strengthening, is it not? After all, if Jehovah God has fulfilled his past promises, we have every reason to be confident that he will also fulfill his promise of a paradise earth. (Numbers 23:19) Indeed, we have "hope of the everlasting life which God, who cannot lie, promised before times long lasting."—Titus 1:2.
The destruction of Babylon is just one example of fulfilled Bible prophecy. Other examples include the destruction of Tyre and Nineveh. (Ezekiel 26:1-5; Zephaniah 2:13-15) Also, Daniel’s prophecy foretold a succession of world empires that would come into power after Babylon. These included Medo-Persia and Greece. (Daniel 8:5-7, 20-22)
and of course many Messianic prophecies that were fulfilled in Jesus Christ. and the prophecy that is soon to be fullfilled is that............. the end of false religion is near,that is why God tells his people to get out of false religion revelation 18;4 the world empire of false religion is known in the bible as a symbolic woman with the name BABYLON THE GREAT............ yes bible prophecy always comes true there is no stopping it.

Two questions;

1. What was the most recent biblical prophesy to be fulfilled?

2. How many years need to go by before an unfulfilled prophesy can be declared bogus?

may

Kungfuzed said:
Two questions;

2. How many years need to go by before an unfulfilled prophesy can be declared bogus?
bible prophecy is right now undergoing fullfillment, only manmade prophecies can be bogus , bible prophecy always comes true. in the past ,right now, and in the future.
"We have the prophetic word made more sure."—2 PETER 1:19.
Just as God’s prophetic word was fulfilled in the past, so we can have faith in what it foretells for the future. For instance, Christ’s presence in Kingdom glory is now a reality,
God’s prophetic word gives us insight into the blessings then in store for obedient mankind. When God’s Kingdom rules unopposed and his will is done on earth as it is in heaven, no vicious humans—no, not even animals—will "do any harm or cause any ruin." (Isaiah 11:9; Matthew 6:9, 10) The meek will inhabit the earth, and "they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." (Psalm 37:11) Starving masses will not exist, for "there will come to be plenty of grain on the earth; on the top of the mountains there will be an overflow." (Psalm 72:16) No longer will tears of sorrow be shed. Sickness will be gone, and even death will be no more. (Isaiah 33:24; Revelation 21:4) Can you imagine—no doctors, no medicines, no hospitals or mental institutions, no funerals. What splendid prospects! and it will all come true .

may

Kungfuzed said:
Two questions;

bible prophecy is right now undergoing fullfillment, only manmade prophecies can be bogus , bible prophecy always comes true. in the past ,right now, and in the future.
Just as God’s prophetic word was fulfilled in the past, so we can have faith in what it foretells for the future. For instance, Christ’s presence in Kingdom glory is now a reality,
God’s prophetic word gives us insight into the blessings then in store for obedient mankind. When God’s Kingdom rules unopposed and his will is done on earth as it is in heaven, no vicious humans—no, not even animals—will "do any harm or cause any ruin." (Isaiah 11:9; Matthew 6:9, 10) The meek will inhabit the earth, and "they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace." (Psalm 37:11) Starving masses will not exist, for "there will come to be plenty of grain on the earth; on the top of the mountains there will be an overflow." (Psalm 72:16) No longer will tears of sorrow be shed. Sickness will be gone, and even death will be no more. (Isaiah 33:24; Revelation 21:4) Can you imagine—no doctors, no medicines, no hospitals or mental institutions, no funerals. What splendid prospects! and it will all come true .

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
may said:

Suppose another two thousand years goes by, and the JW's are still around, and there's still no paradise on earth. At what point will someone step up and say that the prophesy is wrong? Or will they still be staring at the clock saying "any minuet now...". Surely there's some sort of time frame this prophesy must occur in.