• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fulfilled Prophesy

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Are fulfilled prophesys proof of a true religion, or are they present in all religions that prophesy?

I've got a very zealous person in another forum trying to prove to me the Bible is true by listing prophesys that have come true. Having personally nothing against the Bible I'd rather take the stance that this occurs in many different religions, and is therefore doesn't proove that their religion is the one true faith. Would I be incorrect?

I've also told him that given an infinite ammount of time and a loose enough enterpretation, any prophesy can come true.

nutshell

Kungfuzed said:
Are fulfilled prophesys proof of a true religion, or are they present in all religions that prophesy?

I've got a very zealous person in another forum trying to prove to me the Bible is true by listing prophesys that have come true. Having personally nothing against the Bible I'd rather take the stance that this occurs in many different religions, and is therefore doesn't proove that their religion is the one true faith. Would I be incorrect?

I've also told him that given an infinite ammount of time and a loose enough enterpretation, any prophesy can come true.

I agree with you.

Remind him that the Bible itself teaches that Truth comes only from the Spirit and not from the words on the page or fulfilled prophesies.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Actually, fulfilled prophecy is one of the unique things about Christianity and there is nothing vague about them, they are specific to small points as times.

PHOTOTAKER

i can prophecies that the sun will shine tomorrow dose this make me a prophet or the founder of true religion? no... it just means i have some insight that the sun will some up... but if i say it will rain in three weeks and it happens then am i a prophet and founder of the true religion? no i can make prophecies until the sun don't shine and have every one of them come true, this doesn’t make me a prophet nor part of the true church or the founder of the church.

what dose is precept upon precept or line upon line. in the bible there are already things set in motion that the true religion will have for example, prophets, apostles, teachers, priests, high priests, evangelist or patriarchs, deacons and so forth, in the scriptures we know this to be true that God true church works in this manner, after this i would look at the doctrine, for example Christ has flesh and bones, if a church dose not believe then you can say for cretin that this church is not true, but if it is the you go to the next, Jesus Christ is the son of God, if a church says God the Father and the son are the same person or being; then you can say that this church is not true for it is opposite on what the bible teaches... this is one way you can look at this follow line upon line, percept upon percept…

another and more preferred way is to seek and pray to find the true church, one that God is wants his children to go to that teaches the things that are for our salvation and benefited and one that has the authority to speak for God, this is the true church to have a "burning within you bosom" which is truth and of God though the Holy Ghost.

nutshell

*Paul* said:
Actually, fulfilled prophecy is one of the unique things about Christianity and there is nothing vague about them, they are specific to small points as times.

That's a bold statement. You don't think any other world religion has fulfilled prophecy?

PHOTOTAKER

i see that you are athiest, no afince but for you to learn you must be like a little child to take milk before you take meat. you must first be willing to belive and be honestly open to new ideas, then you must seek those things that are of God, then after you have found a little then you must ponder it out in your mind, then ask in prayer to the father in the name of Jesus christ if what you are learning is eather true or not true you must decide for yourself, and you will recive an answer form on high. more than likly you will not recive a vision; most likly you will just know that things are true or not though the burning in you bosom or you just know that it is true and you cannot expline it, you are the one that has to find out for yourself not you friend not you grilfriend or wife, not your mother, your the one that has to do the work no one else can do it for you...

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
PHOTOTAKER said:
i see that you are athiest, no afince but for you to learn you must be like a little child to take milk before you take meat. you must first be willing to belive and be honestly open to new ideas,
Children also have imaginary friends that they believe in and talk to.
PHOTOTAKER said:
then you must seek those things that are of God, then after you have found a little then you must ponder it out in your mind, then ask in prayer to the father in the name of Jesus christ if what you are learning is eather true or not true you must decide for yourself, and you will recive an answer form on high. more than likly you will not recive a vision; most likly you will just know that things are true or not though the burning in you bosom or you just know that it is true and you cannot expline it,
I've been to a few different Christian demominations in my day, and I've only heard one speak of finding the truth in that manner. If I remember correctly I think it was James 1:5 that talks about asking God for wisdom, though I can't quote the whole thing like I used to. If that works for you that's great, more power to you. As for me, I've written off the warm fuzzies as a natual psycological reaction. That's probably a whole nother thread on that subject.
PHOTOTAKER said:
you are the one that has to find out for yourself not you friend not you grilfriend or wife, not your mother, your the one that has to do the work no one else can do it for you...
Absolutely

uumckk16

Kungfuzed said:

I've been to a few different Christian demominations in my day, and I've only heard one speak of finding the truth in that manner. If I remember correctly I think it was James 1:5 that talks about asking God for wisdom, though I can't quote the whole thing like I used to. If that works for you that's great, more power to you. As for me, I've written off the warm fuzzies as a natual psycological reaction. That's probably a whole nother thread on that subject.

Absolutely
Funny, I was thinking earlier today of starting a thread on this subject! I'd really like to. Do you want to, since you could probably word it better than me?

PHOTOTAKER

i'll phrase this differitly you don't learn trig without learning addion and subtraction.

As for me, I've written off the warm fuzzies as a natual psycological reaction.

i agree with you on this. however warm fuzzies is not even close to what i would call them, more like evergy raw energy pulsating though every pore of my body. but the threid idea would be a cool idea...

EDIT: i posted this befor you posted yours!!!

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
PHOTOTAKER said:
i'll phrase this differitly you don't learn trig without learning addion and subtraction.

i agree with you on this. however warm fuzzies is not even close to what i would call them, more like evergy raw energy pulsating though every pore of my body. but the threid idea would be a cool idea...

EDIT: i posted this befor you posted yours!!!

Take two Stackers, a chocolate bar, and then go for a run.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To answer the OP, remind this person that even Nostrodamus prophecies have happened. It holds just as much credit, as both Biblical and Nostrodamus prophecies are not specific, and have fit many different events just right.

Note: I do not wish to argue the validity of Nostrodamus or Biblical prophecies. I am offering a suggestion to the OP, nothing more.

may

the bible is a book of prophecy ,and many prophecies are undergoing fullfillment in this time of the end.its all happening in this the last days.the prophecy in Daniel 2;44 is now well established ,the heavenly kingdom goverment is all set up ,and the king sat on the throne is Gods son Jesus christ,Jesus has the legal right to the throne, and he was given that kingship in 1914 inline with bible prophecy and chronology . and it was his father Jehovah God who gave it to him Daniel 7;13-14 Jesus is now a reigning king in the heavenly kingdom goverment, in the book of revelation Jesus is riding a symbolic white horse and he is a warrior king and this ride has been going on since 1914 and the book of revelation is revealing many things in this time of the end .let him who has ears listen ....bible prophecy ALLWAYS COMES TRUE.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
may said:
the bible is a book of prophecy ,and many prophecies are undergoing fullfillment in this time of the end.its all happening in this the last days.the prophecy in Daniel 2;44 is now well established ,the heavenly kingdom goverment is all set up ,and the king sat on the throne is Gods son Jesus christ,Jesus has the legal right to the throne, and he was given that kingship in 1914 inline with bible prophecy and chronology . and it was his father Jehovah God who gave it to him Daniel 7;13-14 Jesus is now a reigning king in the heavenly kingdom goverment, in the book of revelation Jesus is riding a symbolic white horse and he is a warrior king and this ride has been going on since 1914 and the book of revelation is revealing many things in this time of the end .let him who has ears listen ....bible prophecy ALLWAYS COMES TRUE.
Don't most major religions pretty much make the same claims of their prophecies? I mean, I'm not all that familiar with other religions, so maybe you're right and Christianity is the only religion making prophecies that come true. I'll have to look into it and see if I can find any examples.

Moni_Gail

ELIGE MAGISTRUM
Kungfuzed said:
Don't most major religions pretty much make the same claims of their prophecies? I mean, I'm not all that familiar with other religions, so maybe you're right and Christianity is the only religion making prophecies that come true. I'll have to look into it and see if I can find any examples.

Please do. I've been trying. Plus, I keep watching this thread in the hopes that someone has the answer readily at hand.

Thanks for the reminder of Nostradamus.

Ozzie

If you believe in the supernatural it is likely you also believe that you or someone sharing your supernatural beliefs can predict the future ( the future is an intangible just as God is). If fulfilled prophesies are a mark of a true religion as someone said earlier, then religion is on shaky ground. What is to stop all manner of predictions being made, some of them coming to fruition (or interpreted as such), and then retrospectively the prophesy is labelled. (the Nostradamus example comes to mind). What about all the predictions bearing no fruit. Are these a mark of a false religion? You can't have it both ways.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Fulfilled prophesies could simply be the result of a rather clever person taking a look at historical trends and predictable human behaviour and making an educated guess.

That's not to say that I don't believe prophesies could be fulfilled; the human mind is an amazing calculating machine, and who knows what it's capable of. But I think there's danger in using fulfilled prophesy as religious proof in an argument. Proof to yourself, that's fine. I use stuff like that all the time! But using it to justify the validity of one religion over another will just cause disagreements.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
Ozzie said:
If you believe in the supernatural it is likely you also believe that you or someone sharing your supernatural beliefs can predict the future ( the future is an intangible just as God is). If fulfilled prophesies are a mark of a true religion as someone said earlier, then religion is on shaky ground. What is to stop all manner of predictions being made, some of them coming to fruition (or interpreted as such), and then retrospectively the prophesy is labelled. (the Nostradamus example comes to mind). What about all the predictions bearing no fruit. Are these a mark of a false religion? You can't have it both ways.

Any prophesy that hasn't been fulfilled yet will be some day. Even if it takes an infinite ammount of time. ;)