• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom of Symbolic Under Fire in Sweden

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You have now presented two different sources to the same event and each source blames a different group for the riots.

The comments in this thread are mostly about preconceived prejudice rather than an objective view of the facts.

epronovost

Nice to read that you support a religion that chops off your head for almost any infraction or stones you to death.A religion where women are treated sub-human, homosexuals are routinely lynched and their moral righteous leader married a 9 year old pre-pubescent girl,then married his adopted son´s wife,just to remind how wonderful the religion of peace is!

Your aware that the far-right people who wanted to burn that book are violent authoritarian opposed to democracy, in favor of a "generous" application of the death penalty, treat women as sub-humans as do they with homosexuals and are also often decrying age of censent laws. The only notably difference is the name of their gods and holy books. Far-right extremists have far more in common with ISIS than they have with secular humanists.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Ideally people should be free to burn whatever property they own. Including books, flags, their houses (providing no one is inside.) Whatever. Burn the Holy books from my “group” if you must.
But the intent behind burning a holy book in particular is to incite a response. It is often an act of hate.
So I can’t really blame people who react against such an act. I do not condone any violent retort, but a protest against such a thing is also exercising free speech.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Violence is inexcusable even though the far-right bigots who burned the Qur'an clearly wanted to incite hatred. Reacting with protests is fine and an exercise of free speech; reacting with violence isn't.

That said, you have to keep in mind that the reports talk about 300 rioters. That's an extremely small fraction of Muslims in Sweden, much less Europe or the rest of the world. Trying to imply that these 300 people represent the Muslim community or Islam at large is problematic and only serves to fuel the flames of the hatred and division.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
You know in Germany and Austria, what we called the people who burned books they didn't like?
Nazis.

That's a side issue. The effects and acceptability (or not) of burning a book are often a function of the book's content and cultural status and influence. You could burn a scripture to incite discord and division, and you could burn Mein Kampf in opposition to white supremacy. The act of burning a book doesn't in and of itself make you a Nazi any more than any other act of protest.

Tambourine

That's a side issue. The effects and acceptability (or not) of burning a book are often a function of the book's content and cultural status and influence. You could burn a scripture to incite discord and division, and you could burn Mein Kampf in opposition to white supremacy. The act of burning a book doesn't in and of itself make you a Nazi any more than any other act of protest.
Of course, this could be about literally any movement of ultra-nationalist, authoritarian, antisemitic, white supremacist book burners.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Another defender of book burnings, seriously?
I look at it this way.
It is my book I will do what ever the F*** I want with it.
I do not need nor do I want or ask your permission or approval to do with my own property whatever I like.

Now if you are unable to get off your high horse and engage in discussion on the topic.....

Tambourine

I look at it this way.
It is my book I will do what ever the F*** I want with it.
I do not need nor do I want or ask your permission or approval to do with my own property whatever I like.

Now if you are unable to get off your high horse and engage in discussion on the topic.....
Cool, so do you prefer your shirts black or brown?

McBell

Cool, so do you prefer your shirts black or brown?
I prefer my shirts one or more sizes larger than proper fit.
I prefer comfort over fashion.

Though I have no idea what my shirts have to do with your self proclaimed moral high horse.

You do understand that you have revealed to the whole thread that all that is needed to lead you around by the nose is to burn a book.
My bad, do not even have to burn a book.
No.
All that is needed to lead you around by the nose to is mention burning a book.

McBell

Totally. It's not like these guys have anything else in common with Nazis, after all.
So you have no intention on having a meaningful honest discussion on book burning?

No worries mate.
I did not expect one from you.

McBell

You mean a discussion where you are going to defend book burning as a normal form of political expression?

Probably not.
Where is it a "normal form of political expression"?

So far as I can tell, so long as the books being burned are bought and paid for, I say let them burn as many as they want.
It helps the wallet of those making money off the sales of the books.

It also says more about those burning the books than any one else.

I for one prefer freedom of speech, freedom of expression.
So long as they are not destroying anyone else's property or causing harm to others, let them make as big an *** out of themselves as they want.

I also refuse to let others lead me around by the nose with so simple a manipulation.