1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Freedom from the illusion of knowing, and having safe ground to stand on

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by Jim, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Religion:
    learning to follow Baha'u'llah
    NOTE: This is not posted in a debate forum, and it is not about science and religion, or about objective reality or truth. It’s about a question that came to me while I was thinking about some ways that I think I see people misrepresenting and misusing research reports and religious scriptures.

One of the ways that I see people validating and excusing their prejudices, delusions, animosities and hostilities is with what they think they know from science or from religious scriptures, some safe ground that they think they’re standing on. Just now I was wondering what ground I think I’m standing on, and it might be that I don’t have any illusion any more of knowing anything or having any safe ground to stand on. Then I was wondering, where does my assurance or confidence come from, to do anything that I’m doing?

Is there anyone else here who doesn’t feel any need to know anything or to have any safe ground to stand on? If so, where do you think your assurance or confidence comes from, to do what you do? Maybe, could it just be a natural consequence of freedom from the illusion of knowing and of having safe ground to stand on?

#1 Jim, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Religion:
    none
    [​IMG]

Apart from that, I know that some things must be true, given some basic assumptions that have never been violated.
    E.g.: if the assumptions of an orderly, real and knowable universe are true, scientific theories are the best explanations of reality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Religion:
    I asked a friend this question and she said that maybe it’s because without any illusion of knowing anything or having any safe ground to stand on, I have no fear of being wrong. I’ve already faced that fear and embraced that possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Howard Is

Howard Is Lucky Mud

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Religion:
    Loving Kindness
    Not so much assurance as pragmatic acceptance.
    I am agnostic regarding the possibility of ‘knowing’, in the spiritual sense.
    Life happens.
    There is no safe ground. I think that has to be accepted if one is to experience freedom.
    Understanding the nature of reality is both impossible and unnecessary.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darkforbid

Darkforbid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +693
    Religion:
    Theist
    There are no safe grounds in science only the best currently accepted explanations

6. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Compassion, understanding, and tolerance.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,713
    Religion:
    Often the quickest path from ignorance to arrogance
    We do have knowledge otherwise we would not be able to function. The problem usually is that many do not know the extent of their knowledge or the possible extent of their knowledge and perhaps opt for explanations that seem reasonable to them, rather than just accepting this fact. It's often so nice to have a convenient explanation for all things that might trouble one.

7. exchemist

exchemist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,509
    Religion:
    RC (culturally at least)
    I suppose one should really say they are the best explanations of what we observe of nature - and then that we use the working assumption that these observations reflect an objective physical reality.

(Jim seems here to be offering another variation on his overarching theme of trying to promote a false equivalence between science and religion. It looks to me as if it is his insistence on this false equivalence that generates the "prejudices, animosities and hostilities" that he encounters.;) )

#7 exchemist, Jan 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Galateasdream

Galateasdream Active Member

Ratings:
    +470
    Religion:
    Christian (progressive, universalist)
    Cogito ergo sum.
    Beyond that (and a somewhat reduced version because 'I' is problematic) ... We do the best we can :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Religion:
    False. I am not promoting any equivalence between science and religion. Also, my overarching theme is not about science and religion at all.

#9 Jim, Jan 21, 2020
  10. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Religion:
    That isn’t what I mean by people thinking that they know. I mean people thinking that they can’t be wrong about something that they’re saying.

11. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +8,644
    Religion:
    Advaitist Sanātan Hindu and a strong atheist.
    I think the ground where you stand is the shakiest. Believing in an Allah and his sent manifestation with no proof for either. You have illusions and illusions and hardly anything else. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Howard Is

Howard Is Lucky Mud

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Religion:
    Loving Kindness
    I thought it could be about political beliefs, relationships, sense of purpose....whatever.

They’re just idiots. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Religion:
    I’ve posted sometimes about some identical ways in which people misrepresent and misuse research reports and religious scriptures.

#13 Jim, Jan 21, 2020
  14. Heyo

Heyo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,193
    Religion:
    none
    That is all in the word "knowable". If there is no reality or if we can't perceive reality, we can't know. Now, there are problems with our perception but we assume that we can overcome them, for example through repeated, independent observations.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,787
    Religion:
    None
    It is the religious who think they "know" things.

16. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,787
    Religion:
    None
    Plz cite an example of anyone (here) but a religionist
    misrepresenting a research report.

Talk of people unknown and not present is of no interest.

17. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Religion:
    The illusion of knowing that I’m talking about is people thinking that they can’t be wrong about something that they’re saying.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Religion:
    Your merciless roasting is usually more entertaining than that. Are you okay? I hope you haven’t caught that virus that’s going around.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,787
    Religion:
    None
    You tend to post laughable things, but not real
    funny, as such.

Now, your example of this "misuse"? None?

20. Jim

Jim Nets of Wonder

Ratings:
    +1,828
    Religion:
    I’ll respond to that seriously. Let’s say that it is only religionists who do that. That wouldn’t invalidate what I’m saying about misrepresenting them in the same ways that they misrepresent religious scriptures: imagining them saying what they want them to say, to validate their prejudices and delusions.

#20 Jim, Jan 21, 2020