• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freedom, Equality, and gay marriage

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
"Any nation that does not allow homosexuals the right to be married cannot be considered a country of freedom and equality." Do you agree or disagree, and why?

Wirey

Fartist
Any nation that does not allow homosexuals the right to be married cannot be considered a country of freedom and equality. Do you agree or disagree, and why?

I completely agree. No one asks to be born gay (except Harley owners). That's like saying blacks shouldn't be allowed to marry because the bible urinates on Ham (Noah's kid, not the pig product).

idav

Being
Premium Member
IDK, I think that the whole fact that one needs to bind themselves to be free as sort of an oppressive system.:shrug:

gnomon

"Any nation that does not allow homosexuals the right to be married cannot be considered a country of freedom and equality." Do you agree or disagree, and why?

I would add it as a corollary to my belief that any nation that does not offer up women's rights as a basis of their nation is an oppresive state. The issue of human sexuality perplexes so many cultures, most of them by my count, yet allowing people the freedom the expression of their own sexuality beyond causing harm to other individuals appears to be a minority concept worldwide. Unfortunately.

Kerr

I would have to agree.

IDK, I think that the whole fact that one needs to bind themselves to be free as sort of an oppressive system.:shrug:
The point is that they should be free to marry :p. If marriage is oppressive or not is another debate.

Last edited:

Wirey

Fartist
Okay, no one is arguing so I retract my vote. I don't think gay people should be able to marry. Marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman, not two dudes or a couple of chicks. If we let gay people get married, you know what comes next? That's right, gay babies. Pretty soon those gay men and women will start popping out gay babies so fast that the schools will be overrun. What's going to happen to your high school football team then, huh? And you know what else? They all hate pigs-in-a-blanket. All of them. It's too hetero. So that'll be gone next. There, gay marriage just wrecked high school football and the greatest appetizer ever created.

And I didn't even bring up topiary. Shrubs shaped like Barbara Streisand's nose as far as the eye can see. Those people love that woman. Stop gay marriage! Hasn't the suffering of the rest of us warned them enough!

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Okay, no one is arguing so I retract my vote. I don't think gay people should be able to marry. Marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman, not two dudes or a couple of chicks. If we let gay people get married, you know what comes next? That's right, gay babies. Pretty soon those gay men and women will start popping out gay babies so fast that the schools will be overrun. What's going to happen to your high school football team then, huh? And you know what else? They all hate pigs-in-a-blanket. All of them. It's too hetero. So that'll be gone next. There, gay marriage just wrecked high school football and the greatest appetizer ever created.

And I didn't even bring up topiary. Shrubs shaped like Barbara Streisand's nose as far as the eye can see. Those people love that woman. Stop gay marriage! Hasn't the suffering of the rest of us warned them enough!
I think you just convinced me more that it should be alright. Without high school football, there will be no college football, and thus no professional football. And then there will be no TV coverage of those games, which frees up TV space for something better, like magic.

And I hate pigs in a blanket. So it's all good.

Me Myself

Back to my username
No place has perfect freedom. I think saying "there is no freedom" is too much of a blanket statement.

You do can say there is injustice towards LGBT community, or not the degree of freedom that there should be, or unequality, etc

Wirey

Fartist
I think you just convinced me more that it should be alright. Without high school football, there will be no college football, and thus no professional football. And then there will be no TV coverage of those games, which frees up TV space for something better, like magic.

And I hate pigs in a blanket. So it's all good.

See? It's already begun! Open your eyes people! The gay agenda is exactly as follows:

Remove football, substitute with M*A*S*H* reruns
All mayonaisse to be 'lite'
David Copperfield runs for president
Pigs-In-A-Blanket to be renamed "Pork-Based-Phallus-Treat'
Carrying a picture of Dubya in the nude becomes mandatory

Don't stand idly by! Immediately engage in a heterosexual marriage, which, as everyone knows, is the cornerstone of our society and cannot be broken apart!

4consideration

Premium Member
See? It's already begun! Open your eyes people! The gay agenda is exactly as follows:

Don't stand idly by! Immediately engage in a heterosexual marriage, which, as everyone knows, is the cornerstone of our society and cannot be broken apart!

I'm convinced. I'm going to have rearrange a lot of thoughts, so give me a little time for some mental house cleaning.

Your solution is quite reasonable as well. Without heterosexual marriage you might be running around loose in the world -- and that would be a scary thing for us women to have to think about. :cover:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Well I did like M*A*S*H*.

And David Copperfield is one of my hero's. After all, I am a magician myself, so that would be great.

The other two I could do with out.

FanaticStudy

Theologist
I disagree, I'm not Christian myself, but the act of marriage in the western world is a christian ritual, and as such, should not be tampered with.

If gay people want to be united under a ritual, I suggest they find a religion that doesn't loathe and expel them.

I understand this is harsh words, but the reality is, why would you associate yourself with religion and or organizations that largely feel negative towards your sexual orientation?
Just seems self-destructive to me.

And for the record, I endorse and fully accept gay people living happily together, but I can understand why marriage is not allowed, as tampering with specific religious rituals kind of goes against the entire point.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I disagree, I'm not Christian myself, but the act of marriage in the western world is a christian ritual, and as such, should not be tampered with.

If gay people want to be united under a ritual, I suggest they find a religion that doesn't loathe and expel them.

I understand this is harsh words, but the reality is, why would you associate yourself with religion and or organizations that largely feel negative towards your sexual orientation?
Just seems self-destructive to me.

And for the record, I endorse and fully accept gay people living happily together, but I can understand why marriage is not allowed, as tampering with specific religious rituals kind of goes against the entire point.
It's not just a Christian ritual. Muslims get married too. :p Most religions have some sort of marriage ceremony. Do you think that non-Christians shouldn't be allowed to get marrried simply because the majority of people in the US happen to be Christian? The first ammendment covers that one.

In addition it is not merely a religious ritual. It is a government one. No one is arguing that Christian churches should be forced to marry homosexuals (and if they are, I think that's stupid). What people want is for the government to accept the marriage, in order to obtain all the rights that governments confer upon married people.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I just went to the wedding of two of my girlfriends this past weekend. It took place in Michigan which unfortunately has a constitutional ammendment (governmental restriction, not religious, I might add) against same-sex marriage. But they had a beautiful ceremony and celebration of their commitment to each other. It was unremarkably different than any other wedding I've been to (except for the fact that the bartender was the drunkest person there. :D)

Wirey

Fartist

Jews don't marry? Muslims? Chinese? Athiests? Hindus? Are you serious? By the logic that gays shouldn't marry based on religion, neither should agnostics or Jimmy Baker.