• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forced Conversion

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Yeah right. Whatever, that sounds like Catholic institutions. Regular old Christian churches have no governmental authority. So Im getting a bit tired of your BS.

Good grief, - most of the people in the government at that time were Christian, - they got together with the churches to form these conversion institutions. Someone else already mentioned this, and gave links.

Read them!

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Good grief, - most of the people in the government at that time were Christian, - they got together with the churches to form these conversion institutions. Someone else already mentioned this, and gave links.

Read them!

That's Canada. Probably more to do with your form of government, not being elected by the people.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Catholicism is a Christian denomination.
Not to mention that the Reformation (also, I am assured, something involving Christians) throughout Europe had Protestants (the "true Christians?") burning Catholics with fires just as hot -- and with just as much determination. (A little study of Tudor England will give you a good idea, though the Germans and Swiss could make a nice bonfire, as well.)

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I'm in Alaska - which is part of the USA.

Those institutions were all over the US.

And Im sure you've dug up every piece of dirt you can find on the subject, and there probably is. But that's not the typical Christian way. The modern way is you go to a church where a man tries to bore you to death.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That's Canada. Probably more to do with your form of government, not being elected by the people.
Oh my, what wisdom! Who is it, then, that you think votes in Canadian elections (and by the way, we don't have an intermediary "Electoral College" to turn our collective will into something else altogether, which just recently happened).

Try not to criticize that which you apparently know very, very little about.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
And Im sure you've dug up every piece of dirt you can find on the subject, and there probably is. But that's not the typical Christian way. The modern way is you go to a church where a man tries to bore you to death.

I don't have to dig anything up, - it is JUST PLAIN HISTORIC FACT!

DavidFirth

Yeah well I don't go to church because I believe they have all been subverted to Masonic, Catholic conformity.

I missed the ""Masonic" part of your post. I know of no Catholic masons. We believe only in God in 3 persons, the Masons are cool with whatever singular god a person chooses. Masonic beliefs are definitely anti-Catholic.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I missed the ""Masonic" part of your post. I know of no Catholic masons. We believe only in God in 3 persons, the Masons are cool with whatever singular god a person chooses. Masonic beliefs are definitely anti-Catholic.

The Masons can be non catholic and still serve the pope of Rome. Sort of like Ancient Rome, the Romans didn't care what God a person worhshipped as long as they served Ceasar. The Masons job is to make sure people do that. Which is why you see things like the all seeing eye on the dollar bill and in Popeadope's thread showing how the US capital building is almost an exact copy of the Basilica in Vatican city.

pearl

If we think forced conversion is a thing of the past, think again.
anti-abortion activist appointed by Trump to head Office of Refugee Resettlement trying to force a teenage girl refugee to give birth by denying her access to medical care, including abortion services. Some are calling it Trump's Dred Scott.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/10/imprisoned-immigrant-fights-in-court-for-right-to-abortion.html

If they can delay this long enough, by Texas law abortion is illegal after 22 weeks.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Forced conversion has historical precedents from Abrahamic faiths all the way to Hinduism.

If an authority arrived today and made it mandatory that you convert to a faith that has been branded the only legal religion and forbade you to continue your current religious practices and beliefs, what actions would you take? Would you abandon your current religious beliefs to remain within the confines of the law? Would you defy the authority and continue you current practices? Would you follow the only legal faith publicly but continue to practice your current faith in private? Why?

I'll just go with whatever in order to be a member of whatever society I happen to be in.

Maybe there's some extremes I'd have to rebel against. Like child sacrifice or something. But, if it's just going to some temple to worship whatever God, sure, why not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not wanting to post the names of hundreds or thousands of historical sects here--but a good rule of thumb includes this - if Rome persecuted or fought them, then or now, they're the real deal.
You don't need to post hundreds or thousands; a few examples of sects that exist today would do. Specific names, please.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
You don't need to post hundreds or thousands; a few examples of sects that exist today would do. Specific names, please.

Might I ask why? Are you wanting to attend church with me? What is your point?

PS. If your point is to go into a sect's statement of faith and then to attempt to bash it from your misinterpretation of scripture, I'm out.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Might I ask why? Are you wanting to attend church with me? What is your point?
I want to see whether the sects you consider "biblical" have engaged in forced conversion.

PS. If your point is to go into a sect's statement of faith and then to attempt to bash it from your misinterpretation of scripture, I'm out.
It isn't. I'm trying to avoid the situation where I list off a bunch of examples from different denominations just to have you respond with "oh, but I don't consider any of them to be biblical."

So now you know why I'm asking: which denominations do you consider "biblically based" (and therefore, according to you, don't engage in forced conversion)?