• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forbidden Archeology

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
Did humans and apes live side by side millions of years ago or Humans come from apes?
Evidence for both if available.
(Genuinely curious to look into the evidences and the sources of both)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Humans are a species of great ape. We've always lived with other species of apes. Until recently we lived with other species of humans, as well.
Follow the cladogram on right.
phillytree.gif

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Did humans and apes live side by side millions of years ago or Humans come from apes?
You call this thread 'Forbidden Archeology'. I assume you are familiar with Michael Cremo? If the Puranas (Hindu Texts) are literal and to be portrayed as fact, it would mean that apes and humans lived together, as distinct groups. Hanuman is an ape, a Vanara, and lived along side with Lord Rama and other humans, as well as other Vanaras. Just to be clear to you and others, that this concept does not mean evolution is wrong, or didn't happen, it means that natural selection never happened. These are not my beliefs, but of the beliefs of many Gaudiya Vaishnavas. If you want proof, look at archeological records from the perspective of modern day scientists. If that is not enough, you can read Michael Cremo's books, if you feel like it.

Subhankar Zac

You can Google all sorts of genetic and fossil evidence.

1. M asking your reasons to believe in the latter one. If I was convinced here, I wouldn't put out the thread out here.

2. If you believe in it, you could explain it to me in detail with proper references.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There isn't any fossil of modern humans older than 200,000 years. There are a few very old claims (pre 1940) that are either refuted or can no longer be verified as the fossils have disappeared. Since paleo-anthropology did not become a science till very late (1960-1970), i am inclined to disbelieve most claims before that period unless they have been backed up by subsequent discoveries.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I could google and post all sorts of fossil finds, but to what end? You studied all this in high school. Primate evolution is an established fact, and new details and species are found regularly.
If you doubt this, please explain the contradictory evidence.

Subhankar Zac

I could google and post all sorts of fossil finds, but to what end? You studied all this in high school. Primate evolution is an established fact, and new details and species are found regularly.
If you doubt this, please explain the contradictory evidence.

If you aren't going to attach a link and add your personal beliefs based on empirical proof, do let me know in your next post.
Leaving my homework only to repeat the same thing 20 times and ending up in loops I do not consider very useful in a discussion.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
According to my understandings:
1-Human appeared at acme of evolution (guided).

2-Human did not come from apes.
https://www.alislam.org/topics/quran/QURANIC CONCEPT OF EVOLUTION.pdf

3-The question is how the great void can be explained between man and animals in their behavioural patterns and mental potentials? Which animal has learnt to read and write, and to express himself in languages as sophisticated as human languages? A comparison between humans and animals in all these fields will show that human potential is many billion times greater than that of the animals.
https://www.alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_5_section_13.html

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The issue is not whether apes evolved into humans but is do apes and humans have a common ancestor, and the likelihood of that is considered pretty much a given at this point in time because all the known evidence points in that direction. See Valjean's chart on post #4, which is quite accurate based on the fossil evidence.

HonestJoe

I asked for evidence, not personal beliefs and established beliefs.
Why did you ask on a religious discussion forum then? If you really want evidence, you’d be better off seeking out scientific sources.

It doesn’t help that your opening question is flawed since the two alternatives you presented aren’t mutually exclusive.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Did humans and apes live side by side millions of years ago

You're going to have to be more specific:

• By "millions of years ago" exactly how many millions of years do you mean? Humans, and the genus Homo, have really not been around that long in the geologic time scale.
  • By "humans" do you mean exclusively Homo sapiens or are you also regarding any members of the genus Homo to be "human?" Something else?
The first members of genus Homo emerged around 2 million years ago, so I personally wouldn't use the phrase "millions of years ago" to describe than when "a couple million years ago" would be more appropriate. But all that is sort of unimportant, because...

Humans come from apes?

While you chose to dismiss @Kelly of the Phoenix 's comment, she is absolutely right. Humans are apes, as per scientific classifications which are grounded in evidenced-based methodologies. Because humans are apes, they have always coexisted with apes since the moment of their divergence from other primates. This is super basic stuff you can look up on Wikipedia of all places. Humans are part of family Homidae, which includes apes. We are apes, and our common ancestor with other ape species was... you guessed it... an ape or member of the family Homidae (more properly "great apes" I suppose).

Aside from reading pretty much any of the Wikipedia pages, there's these:

Pfft. Nobody ever asks about the origins of oak trees. *sigh*