• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For religious "switchers"

Have you ever switched religions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I switched from Christianity to the Baha'i Faith about 30 years ago. It seemed like a good move back then and nothings really changed. It is the faith that makes the most sense for me.
I'm glad it's working for you!

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Being on RF for a while, I have noticed that many people change their religion relatively frequently. What leads you to switch your religion? What has your path been like?
I was born as an Ahmadiyya peaceful Muslim and I am still in it firmly. It is part of my religion to be steadfast in my religion and always be open for research heart and soul with open mind for other religions or no-religions with reason as far as it could go reasonably , its conjugal partner Revelation and the peaceful dialogue. I have read scriptures of many religions and a book of a renowned American Atheist, none could convince my heart and soul to switch elsewhere so I am still there where I was fortunately born, please. Right?

Regards

LightofTruth

One can find the right denomination/religion by applying the impartial "Religious Method", please. Right?

Regards
A Roman Catholic scholar told me that God died on the cross.
An Orthodox Presbyterian scholar told me that God could never die and it was only the body Jesus inhabited that died.

Are they the same religion?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
A Roman Catholic scholar told me that God died on the cross.
An Orthodox Presbyterian scholar told me that God could never die and it was only the body Jesus inhabited that died.

Are they the same religion?
Please apply "Religious Method" and the problem will be solved. A simple method "both claim and reason are to be from the revealed scripture".
In the above case:
Roman Catholics won't be able to quote from their scripture "God died on the Cross", so the Catholic who told you that had misunderstood his own religious scripture.
The Orthodox Presbyterian scholar was right that "God could never die" and the next sentence instead of telling about God he is telling about Jesus, not about God, so the scholar is wrong and he could be wrong as any human could be wrong.
Both Catholic and Presbyterian remain with the label "Christian" but are therefore not truthful. Right?

Regards

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Being on RF for a while, I have noticed that many people change their religion relatively frequently. What leads you to switch your religion? What has your path been like?

I wouldn't call my switches frequent, but I have switched a few times over the years.

I was born into a Catholic family and indoctrinated into Catholicism. When I realized Catholicism, at least the way I was taught it, didn't align with my worldview, for lack of knowing about any other religions, I became agnostic.

Many years later, I stumbled upon Wicca. While it aligned better with my worldview that Catholicism did, I ultimately found to be too dogmatic and dualistic for my liking.

I moved to identification with Paganism, then pantheism, and ultimately Hinduism, specifically Advaita Vedanta, which aligns with my worldview better than any other religion I'm aware of. Any disagreements I have with its teachings are minor, trivial, and inconsequential.

LightofTruth

Please apply "Religious Method" and the problem will be solved. A simple method "both claim and reason are to be from the revealed scripture".
In the above case:
Roman Catholics won't be able to quote from their scripture "God died on the Cross", so the Catholic who told you that had misunderstood his own religious scripture.
The Orthodox Presbyterian scholar was right that "God could never die" and the next sentence instead of telling about God he is telling about Jesus, not about God, so the scholar is wrong and he could be wrong as any human could be wrong.
Both Catholic and Presbyterian remain with the label "Christian" but are therefore not truthful. Right?

Regards
Right. I'd say neither one knows the truth.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
What leads you to switch your religion? What has your path been like?

1. I was Roman Catholic from birth until I was about 23-24 years old when I became Eastern Orthodox. I was dissatisfied and disappointed that the RCC was becoming so “modern” and trying to please everyone. Almost worshiptainment, not unlike the rock concerts held in churches being passed off as worship services.

2. I loved the EOC, and remained Orthodox for about 8-10 years when I started drifting away from Christianity. The theology, cosmology, soteriology, ontology, epistemology began to not make sense to me. I always had “eastern leanings”, i.e. Hindu and Buddhist. They were now beginning to surface.

3. I coasted in neutral for a few years as an agnostic deist... I wasn’t sure if there was a God. If there was, it was more like the Star Wars Force. But around Feb. 2011 I went full blown into Hinduism when I found a couple of small statues of the gods and created a small shrine.

4. I was learning more and realized this is what I believe. But that didn’t last because I listened to too many people on the internet who were self-anointed acharyas and gurus. I was like the person in a comedy routine being spun around because people bumped into him. So I thought, this isn’t for me because other people say so. I’m rather impressionable.

5. I felt drawn to Thor (I still do). Thor, Lakshmana (Lord Rāma’s brother) and I have the same quick tempers and hot-headedness that cools down quickly. So I was drawn to Ásatrú aka Heathenry. Unfortunately I again got spun around by the internet experts who told everyone “you’re doing it wrong” and pushing a gods-of-limited-access platform. So guess what?

6. I was drawn back to Hinduism about 6-8 years ago and have been here ever since. I no longer let others tell me what I should be doing, shouldn’t be doing, what I’m doing wrong, doing, not doing, and all the previous bull****. I let God (Vishnu/Krishna as I envision God) and the other gods guide me.

I’m particularly close to Goddess Lakshmi, She’s been good to me in ways I can never repay. Goddess Saraswati who is helping me with my guitar and bass learning and playing. Since I recommitted to playing (four acoustic guitars, one acoustic bass later, and another one or three I’m jonesing for :D) I think She’s agreed to help me. I think I not so much pissed Her off by giving up music for a long time, but She probably thought, ok if he’s not interested... :shrug: Lord Ganesha and Lord Hanuman for their help and, protection and guidance.

And while I respect and revere deities of other religions and pantheons, even Jesus whom I respect as a teacher, sage, yogi, though I don’t worship them I don’t see myself switching again.

Well, you did ask. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I know some folks on RF are itching to know.

I didn't switch since I suddenly came to the conclusion that Judaism/Noachidism is false, not at all. I'm not here now to diss Judaism or regret the time I spent with it, no, never. I love Judaism and will always hold it in the highest respect, but since I could not convert and as being a Noachide was taking a toll on my mental health, I had to change. Noachidism is too lonely, too anti-social, lacks rituals, prayers etc., stuff that I need in a religion. It was incredibly hard for me to leave, as I still consider it true and I'm not generally a person who ditches truth for social practicality, but as I was on the verge of taking my own life I had to change.

Noachidism is not a religion at all and I was seeking a religion, not just a set of beliefs with nothing else attached - especially not one with no other followers, really. It was unworkable for me, socially, mentally and emotionally. After four years I was just exhausted. As I said though, I have nothing against Judaism and am keeping all my Jewish stuff (I've even considered buying another Chumash w/ commentary!) So, sorry folks, I'm not suddenly switching teams :p

It almost sounds like you are where I was in my deist days. I believed in a God but needed and wanted a way to worship. Deism generally doesn’t give worship, and deists aren’t a dime a dozen. I like a way of connecting with the divine. It also almost sounds like how I view Christianity... the real Christianity, what Jesus taught about having a relationship with God. It’s actually Jesuism. Some things you never let go of.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Sorry to say, combining two "religions" and adopting them at a time shows, I understand, that one is still indecisive , confused and is haphazardly moving from one to the other, please. Why not to resolve it permanently and be confident and certain once for all, please?

Regards

I am confident and certain. Why would you make the assumption that I'm not?

The more ideologies and perspectives I've experienced, the more I've come to realise the nature of the human heart and mind. I've taken the things that are good, disregarded the bad, and moved on. I don't need to have religious structure to find peace and happiness... I have that peace and happiness within myself already. :)

You seem to think that I'm looking for a religious home - a place to rest my head. I've had that for the majority of my life, and it wasn't for me, it turns out. I've found that I'm happiest as an ideological wanderer. I love exploring new concepts and ideas!

Maybe you have found peace and happiness in the religious home you've found. That's good! We aren't all the same, though. Everyone is different. :D

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
What impartial Methodology did one adopt to find the truthful among so many denominations/religions for one, please?
Right?

Regards

I couldn't help the religion I was born into. It was a cultural title. As I grew to an age in which one begins to consider what they actually believe instead of accepting on blind faith the words of those around them(please not I'm not implying all faith is blind), I realized I did not accept Christianity as truth.

The 'switch' in adulthood was a little different. There was no 'I am this no, and that means I am no longer this'. There isn't this kind of distinction or requirement in most sects of Hinduism or Paganism. Honestly, the two paths have much in common. Just because I consider Hinduism to be my path now doesn't mean I disbelieve anything within Paganism. I just find Hinduism suites my mindset, nature, and needs better.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Just googled, and found:
How to Find the Right Religion for You: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

Which warn about cults haha, really nice wiki-how actually! Taoism fits me best now I think if I had to choose.
What about the following point in the article, please?:
7 Avoid assuming that "one religion is just as good as the other" for yourself. That very well may be far from true.

Did I suggest one any specific religion, please?
I just suggested how to find the truthful religion by an impartial Religious Method. Right?

Regards

idea

Question Everything
What about the following point in the article, please?:
7 Avoid assuming that "one religion is just as good as the other" for yourself. That very well may be far from true.

Did I suggest one any specific religion, please?
I just suggested how to find the truthful religion by an impartial Religious Method. Right?

Regards

I just updated the wiki how article: (bold font what I have added to it)

"
Meet the religious leaders, preachers and teachers in your neighborhood and online. Ask them about their views on life, God(s), relationships, ethical conduct, and their daily practice of their religion. Use online forums like Religious Forums to talk with people all over the world, do not confine yourself to just talking with friends and neighbors. Religion is not just facts but accepting a tradition, culture, and potentially important set of beliefs. Choosing a religion is similar to choosing who to marry. Follow your heart not peer pressure, it is a personal individual choice.
"

Also,

"
Avoid assuming that "one religion is just as good as the other" for yourself. That very well may be far from true. Shopping for religious communities is like shopping for cars. Each model has pros and cons, some will fit your needs better than others, no model is perfect, most of them have common features that will all get you from point A to point B."

I also added under tips and warnings:

"
  • No matter what group you belong to, know you do not have to agree 100% with that group. Do not feel obligated to agree with everything your religious leaders say. There are no perfect religious leaders, in the end your faith is a personal, individual matter.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I just updated the wiki how article: (bold font what I have added to it)

"
Meet the religious leaders, preachers and teachers in your neighborhood and online. Ask them about their views on life, God(s), relationships, ethical conduct, and their daily practice of their religion. Use online forums like Religious Forums to talk with people all over the world, do not confine yourself to just talking with friends and neighbors. Religion is not just facts but accepting a tradition, culture, and potentially important set of beliefs. Choosing a religion is similar to choosing who to marry. Follow your heart not peer pressure, it is a personal individual choice.
"

Also,

"
Avoid assuming that "one religion is just as good as the other" for yourself. That very well may be far from true. Shopping for religious communities is like shopping for cars. Each model has pros and cons, some will fit your needs better than others, no model is perfect, most of them have common features that will all get you from point A to point B."

I also added under tips and warnings:

"
  • No matter what group you belong to, know you do not have to agree 100% with that group. Do not feel obligated to agree with everything your religious leaders say. There are no perfect religious leaders, in the end your faith is a personal, individual matter.
But I didn't suggest any specific religion to follow for one, please? Did I, please?
I just suggested an impartial and equitable method to search and decide, please. Right?

Regards

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
But I didn't suggest any specific religion to follow for one, please? Did I, please?
I just suggested an impartial and equitable method to search and decide, please. Right?

Regards

I'm not sure if there is an impartial method to 'choosing' a religion. I don't know how it works for everybody, but the majority of the people I have talked with weren't seeking a religion as they might a new car. Sometimes people hold a belief, only to find out later that those beliefs fit into another framework. Other times, they may learn more of another religion(intentionally or unintentionally) and find that its true for them. While there are a few people who go 'religion shopping', I wouldn't say that's how the majority approach it(though there's nothing wrong with it if one did).

What method did you use to determine your own religion was correct for you?

idea

Question Everything

Regards

I went googling because I did not understand which method you were referring to, is there a step-by-step impartial "Religious Method" you like to use? Provide a link, or the steps if so. An impartial method would be good, starting by treating everyone the same without bias. Not trying to debate or anything, I do find it interesting to see what spiritual journeys everyone takes, and what thinking patterns are used.

idea

Question Everything
I'm not sure if there is an impartial method to 'choosing' a religion. I don't know how it works for everybody, but the majority of the people I have talked with weren't seeking a religion as they might a new car. Sometimes people hold a belief, only to find out later that those beliefs fit into another framework. Other times, they may learn more of another religion(intentionally or unintentionally) and find that its true for them. While there are a few people who go 'religion shopping', I wouldn't say that's how the majority approach it(though there's nothing wrong with it if one did).

What method did you use to determine your own religion was correct for you?

I wish more people would view picking a religion as being similar to picking out a car. As a kid, you are stuck driving around in your parents car, then when you are older and more responsible - with your own job and ability to get your own car, choosing something that fits better (with parents hopefully not upset if you choose a different brand name than them).

I think there is far too much social and family pressure for most, which can really take the joy out of spirituality. I hope my kids will choose a safe and fun vehicle for their journeys, and will do my best to bite my tongue and not try to control what they choose, but to just be happy for them.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Many religions and cultures have contributed to what I embrace now, as have my own thoughts and experiences.

I organized ***7 myself because my True Will requires it’s own religion. My free will requires it’s own religion. My Weltanschauung requires it’s own religion.