• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For religious "switchers"

Have you ever switched religions?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Being on RF for a while, I have noticed that many people change their religion relatively frequently. What leads you to switch your religion? What has your path been like?

I haven't "switched" per se, since joining RF, but my path through the Pagan Woods has wandered. My concepts of deities have formulated and dissipated over time. I have self labeled here as a Satanist, Pagan, and mostly Druid. And although some may disagree, I consider Satanism a form of paganism, so I've considered my journey to be entirely pagan. There are also some lesser path variations as well, interacting with various pantheons to get a feel for which one worked well with me, before settling.

Edit: Prior to RF I went through a Catholic style Sunday school for 2 years ,(pre-baptism/catechism). And considered myself Catholic until just after my senior year of high school (period of 6 years).

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Being on RF for a while, I have noticed that many people change their religion relatively frequently. What leads you to switch your religion? What has your path been like?
I've switched a lot. I guess the main thing is I wish I hadn't sinned in any of them.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Many centuries ago when i was 14 i didn't precisely switch, more faded away from religion and religious ideas over about two and a half years to become atheist.

Does moving from religion to no religion count in this thread? If yes i i will tackle your questions..

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
In terms of religion, I have never believed other than I do today...that is, I've never had any religious beliefs of any kind.

Skeezy

i have switched religions but not the God per say.

I went to various private schools, Baptist, Lutherin and Catholic. My family was southern baptist.

i switched from labelling myself Southern baptist about 23 years ago (I'm 39) to non denominational. More recently I switched from non denominational to Hebrew Israelite.

Coming up, I saw all sorts of things wrong with christianity when compared to the scripture itself. As I grew into a full adult, I noticed how indoctrinated American christianity and culture is laced with a quite large amount of paganism.

I was able to study scripture with some guidance and several books aside from the bible for the accuracy of translation. Eventually, I came to the same conclusion as Hebrew Israelites. Not only this but I found a few other peolple who also studied seperately (independant of studying under Hebrew Israelites) and also came to the same conclusion as I did, which is uplifting to say the least. We now study and learn together and now label ourselves, Hebrew Israelite.

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet
Many centuries ago when i was 14 i didn't precisely switch, more faded away from religion and religious ideas over about two and a half years to become atheist.

Does moving from religion to no religion count in this thread? If yes i i will tackle your questions..

Yes, it counts

I don't know if I have switched religions so much as stopped being a person looking for religion and instead am focusing on spirituality instead. I no longer have the need to try and convert people to my point of view, instead just increase my own understanding and getting closer to God.
The dogmas of orthodox organized religions have never gotten it correct, so why bother with any of them? And, the one I was involved with is always at least 20 years behind the times even though claiming it has daily revelation to let us know what to do when whatever is coming down the pike gets here. They haven't a clue actually and it certainly shows as one watches them and listens to them. Their concerns are so trivial, so petty and unimportant.
So, I go with personal enlightenment and learning by studying a lot of different religions and seeing if my own angles make sense to me as I put two and two together and try to come up with 12.....:hugehug:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I would think so too.
I put my religion as "Scripture" because there are many thousand Christian denominations who can't seem to agree on what the Scripture says and teaches even though they have the same Scriptures and base their religion on those same Scriptures. :eek:
I will give here a "litmus" test to know a Christian from a Muslim.
A friend asked "Are Mormons Christians?"
I replied:
For sure they are, they call themselves Christians and nobody legally, morally and or rationally can deny that right of expressing their faith as they believe.
They are not Muslims, definitely; firstly they don’t say that. Secondly the following litmus test to verify a Christian from a Muslim also proves that they are Christians.
  1. There is not a single Muslim in the world (a)who believes that Jesus died on Cross, it is so clearly mentioned in Quran. So, according to Muslims (b)Jesus never needed to be resurrected from the dead as he never died on Cross in the first place. Hence(c) Jesus was never Son of God or God or God in the flesh or God in the human form as per Quran/Islam/Muhammad.
  2. There is not a single Christian, in my knowledge, who does not believe that (a)Jesus died a cursed death on Cross for the sinful Christians; later as per the Christian faith (b)Jesus got resurrected to life from the dead, and hence(3) he was God and he sat on the right hand of God, assuming all-power.
This is, to me, the (incorrect) building blocks of Pauline-Christian faith which the Christians have been made to believe by Paul; and not by Jesus .

The Mormons believe the later faith, so they are Christians for all practical purposes according to the "litmus" test to know a Christian from a Muslim or a Muslim from a Christians.

Since, "scriptures" is not name of a religion and one believes in #2 above so one remains a Christian; but of course it will be another addition to the existing denominations of Christianity.
Right?

Regards

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
I left the only church I ever officially joined. Never officially joined my parent's church though I did grow up attending their meetings etc. Joined Mormons when getting married as it had a few things that were familiar to group I grew up in, and felt familiar and safe. Turns out Mormon church is NOT safe, is full of child molester's, and I have now learned what "the spirit" really is... they are NOT being "friendly", they will groom your children if given then chance.

so spiritual but not affiliated for me now. If there is a God, I now think it needs to be a personal private thing. All the different religious groups create enough contention that we all hopefully find our own personal faith by the end. No borrowed light, no leaning on any arms of flesh. Yin/Yang, good and evil in all groups and people, no group is really any better than another.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I left the only church I ever officially joined. Never officially joined my parent's church though I did grow up attending their meetings etc. Joined Mormons when getting married as it had a few things that were familiar to group I grew up in, and felt familiar and safe. Turns out Mormon church is NOT safe, is full of child molester's, and I have now learned what "the spirit" really is... so spiritual but not affiliated for me now. If there is a God, I now think it needs to be a personal private thing. All the different religious groups create enough contention that we all hopefully find our own personal faith by the end. No borrowed light, no leaning on any arms of flesh. Yin/Yang, good and evil in all groups and people, no group is really any better than another.
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience in that church!

idea

Question Everything
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience in that church!

Child abuse is a common thread among most/all of the male-hierarchical organizations. Condemn and silence the victims, "Love the sinner", give the sinners temple recommends, give the sinner callings with children.... temple marriage after temple marriage (condemn the former wives for "breaking their covenant with God"), ex-communicate anyone who tries to change PPI's - personal priesthood interviews where little children are taken one by one behind closed doors and asked about their sex lives by bishops... really really sick stuff. Polygamy doctrines in mainstream Mormonism are alive and well, the current prophet Nelson is sealed to multiple women, everyone reveres their pedophile founder, Joseph Smith, who married young girls... it was not a marriage, not legal, not real - it was pure adultery, and pure pedophile. Same with Brigham Young whose university educates the youth, with everyone prancing around with "Y" shirts on celebrating their pedophile heritage :(

Clara Tea

I don't change my religion, but I don't believe all of the things that others do. When I see weak arguments (arguments that support my opinion, but have problems), I point out the weaknesses. The idea is that the religion will become stronger as we weed out the illogical parts.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I left the only church I ever officially joined. Never officially joined my parent's church though I did grow up attending their meetings etc. Joined Mormons when getting married as it had a few things that were familiar to group I grew up in, and felt familiar and safe. Turns out Mormon church is NOT safe, is full of child molester's, and I have now learned what "the spirit" really is... they are NOT being "friendly", they will groom your children if given then chance.

so spiritual but not affiliated for me now. If there is a God, I now think it needs to be a personal private thing. All the different religious groups create enough contention that we all hopefully find our own personal faith by the end. No borrowed light, no leaning on any arms of flesh. Yin/Yang, good and evil in all groups and people, no group is really any better than another.
Has one tried the impartial "Religious Method" to find the right one for one, please? Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I would think so too.
I put my religion as "Scripture" because there are many thousand Christian denominations who can't seem to agree on what the Scripture says and teaches even though they have the same Scriptures and base their religion on those same Scriptures. :eek:
One can find the right denomination/religion by applying the impartial "Religious Method", please. Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I switched from the religion I was born into in my late teens. I switched from that religion in my early 30s.

But I wasn't on RF at any of those times.
What impartial Methodology did one adopt to find the truthful among so many denominations/religions for one, please?
Right?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I've switched several religions, and I have been considering switching to druidry as well lately.

The vast majority of my life has been spent as a christian, and who I was as a person was defined by my faith. In my meandering away from that path, it's been getting less and less that way. Now, spirituality and even religion has become more of a tool to utilize for me.

Each spiritual path I've taken since then has shone a light on various aspects of myself that I never knew were there before. It's a very useful thing in better understanding myself.

At the moment I'm a naturalist and an atheist, and this will probably be the way I am for the forseeable future - even if I do involve myself with other spiritual and religious paths.

Sorry to say, combining two "religions" and adopting them at a time shows, I understand, that one is still indecisive , confused and is haphazardly moving from one to the other, please. Why not to resolve it permanently and be confident and certain once for all, please?

Regards

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yes, it counts

What leads you to switch your religion

Christians caused me to drop my religion. The church i attended as a youngster had different children read out a passage from the bible each sunday. I was an undiagnosed dyslexic and was mocked for being unable to read. I left the church and soon after the diagnosis was made. Red bleeds, text on white paper is just a blur, green tinted glasses were prescribed and voila, words came into existence.

What has your path been like?

Within a few months i read my first book, followed by the second book... the KJV bible. There i learned not only how the stories were illogical but also why the congregation was so down on difference. Religion disappeard from my life. I can't say i have missed it, in fact a great deal of guilt was shed.

That episode and three others when christians have shown me their bad side has led me to a deep mistrust of christianity which has been partially lifted buy this forum... Don't get me wrong, there are some on here wearing the same shoes, i avoid them where possible.

Interestingly my lifelong best friend was part of that congregation hower she never got to involved in the put downs. She is still a devoted christian, been born again and all that. Even ran her own church at one time. She is one if the good ones. We have had some real dingdong arguments and are still best friends

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

I switched from Christianity to the Baha'i Faith about 30 years ago. It seemed like a good move back then and nothings really changed. It is the faith that makes the most sense for me.