• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Florida Bill Prevents Kids from Studying Subjects Their Parents Don’t Agree With"

Shad

Veteran Member
And most of them are in public schools.

Students coming from a home school graduated college at a higher rate than their peers—66.7 percent compared to 57.5 percent—and earned higher grade point averages along the way, according to a study that compared students at one doctoral university from 2004-2009.

https://www.usnews.com/education/hi...12/06/01/home-schooled-teens-ripe-for-college

A major issue that is not brought up is the single parent issue in America which plays in the public education system, hinders access/funding to a private system and limits time for home schooling. Without knowledge of the economic standing of those students backgrounds we have no idea if success or failure is based on the support system of the family and income. The students motivation and goals are unknown. A student with a goal of a career athlete (a major cultural issue in my view) is going to act differently than a white collar career.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The article in the O.P. seems to be more about some fringe groups "what if's" that have little to nothing to do with academic achievement.

What if:
-some supremacist parents take their kids out of certain classes?
(Based in race, religious , or other)

- LGBT kids don't get taught about LGBT history?

So what? Does it really matter?
They will see it in their daily lives anyway and with the Internet it probably wouldn't be hard for them to research it if they wanted to.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Lowest common denominator paced education as well. Lack of advance classes or even advancement of grade levels. I used distant education to complete grade 9 in 2 months. My parents moved me to a private school once I had documentation (transcript) for grade 10 of the same year. The public system refused advancement of grade levels and advance classes outright. The administrators even tried to bluff by forcing me to take assessment tests which placed me at a grade 12 level..... They still refused.
WOW!

Case #1:

I remember when my son, in 11th grade, applied for early admission.

Counselor: - NO! He can't handle the workload of university! - NO! Senior year is to relax and enjoy!

I had to take it up to the principle to which the Counselor said: "I SIGN UNDER PROTEST".

Results... my son graduated from 12th grad 1 course shy of earning his AA degree with a 4.0 average. Shaved 2 years off of his university graduation.

Case #2:

Wanted him to place into Spanish 2 instead of one:

Counselor: No! I don't think he can do it. Let's put him into Spanish 1 and if it is too easy, we'll move him into Spanish two.

Me... "No... let's put him in Spanish 2 and if it is too hard, put him is Spanish 1. He aced Spanish 2 (We spoke Spanish in the home for him to learn it.

What do I credit the success? PRIVATE Christian School where he learned discipline through homework and requirements from grades 1-8.

Kenny

Premium Member
The article in the O.P. seems to be more about some fringe groups "what if's" that have little to nothing to do with academic achievement.

What if:
-some supremacist parents take their kids out of certain classes?
(Based in race, religious , or other)

- LGBT kids don't get taught about LGBT history?

So what? Does it really matter?
They will see it in their daily lives anyway and with the Internet it probably wouldn't be hard for them to research it if they wanted to.
BINGO!!!

Shad

Veteran Member
Here in the U.S. homeschooled kids typically have about 14 credits for college while public school kids come in around 6, that is quite a difference. I'm not sure where the stereotype of the dumb or ignorant homeschool kids came from but the data speaks for itself, homeschooled kids do much better in higher education and tend to complete it at higher rates because they are better prepared. I have ideas as to why this typically is the case (and it's not just the curriculum) which I will put in my homeschool thread if I get around to making it.

Are the credits due to electives? Here 5 classes are required for graduation. English and Math 12, a science 11 (bio, physics or chemistry) and two 11 courses which can be selected by the student. Those classes have requirements which must be met.

Media follows ratings as it dictates revenue. There is more money in covering Bills as per the OP compared to success stories. This causes the religious element to be highlight compared to other reasons for going outside the public system. Loud voices get more attention too.

Rational Agnostic

I think that is wonderful. It is about time that education was placed back into the hands of the parents.

Ahh, OK. But what if the parents are Atheists who also believe the "Christ myth" hypothesis and don't want their children learning about Jesus as a historical figure? Is it still OK, then? If not, then your bias and double standard is clearly showing. Seems to me you are in favor of parents controlling their children's education UNLESS the parents are not Christians. I'm guessing that if atheist parents forbid their kids from going to church, then you would encourage the kids to rebel.

Kenny

Premium Member
Ahh, OK. But what if the parents are Atheists who also believe the "Christ myth" hypothesis and don't want their children learning about Jesus as a historical figure? Is it still OK, then? If not, then your bias and double standard is clearly showing. Seems to me you are in favor of parents controlling their children's education UNLESS the parents are not Christians. I'm guessing that if atheist parents forbid their kids from going to church, then you would encourage the kids to rebel.
OHHHHH! What you are saying is "If it is something a Christian doesn't like we proceed forward but if it is what an Atheist doesn't like we should not let it happen".

Got it! Double standard is clearly showing.

Shad

Veteran Member
WOW!

Case #1:

I remember when my son, in 11th grade, applied for early admission.

Counselor: - NO! He can't handle the workload of university! - NO! Senior year is to relax and enjoy!

I had to take it up to the principle to which the Counselor said: "I SIGN UNDER PROTEST".

Results... my son graduated from 12th grad 1 course shy of earning his AA degree with a 4.0 average. Shaved 2 years off of his university graduation.

Case #2:

Wanted him to place into Spanish 2 instead of one:

Counselor: No! I don't think he can do it. Let's put him into Spanish 1 and if it is too easy, we'll move him into Spanish two.

Me... "No... let's put him in Spanish 2 and if it is too hard, put him is Spanish 1. He aced Spanish 2 (We spoke Spanish in the home for him to learn it.

What do I credit the success? PRIVATE Christian School where he learned discipline through homework and requirements from grades 1-8.

The reasons in your case are very similar to the reasons I was provided.

"But what about course load!"

Umm I aced your courses in 2 months on my own using your own text books....

The bullying point was easy to counter. If bullying is a problem it means the administrators and district have failed to protect their students which is their problem. Beside I already knew they wouldn't care about bullying as those very same administrators turned a blind eye to bullying for years. One kid in my PE class was bullied every period to the point of violence yet the staff did nothing to the bullies. I called not only their bluff but they were failures in their chosen career as even I reported the bullies to the staff.

(The kid started using a bench as a weapon)

My experience is why I think many people that work in the school system are glorified baby-sitters thus do not gain any respect as "educators". Worse is that they are hands off baby-sitters that refuse to act unless forced to.

Last edited:

Rational Agnostic

OHHHHH! What you are saying is "If it is something a Christian doesn't like we proceed forward but if it is what an Atheist doesn't like we should not let it happen".

Got it! Double standard is clearly showing.

Not true at all. I don't have a double standard, and if I ever have kids I will encourage them to study Christianity for themselves and decide if they think it is true or not. Do you have a double standard? I'll ask again, since you refused to answer: If a parent who doesn't believe Jesus existed wants to prevent his/her child from learning about Jesus, should they have the right to prevent their child from learning about Jesus? I'm guessing you'll refuse to answer again, because you know that your laughable double standard has been exposed.

Heyo

Veteran Member
As this thread demonstrates, conservatives seem less concerned about the quality of education than liberals. Is it because those who are well informed and think critically are less likely to vote for their favored party/politicians?
A good education was once of high value for conservatives. But in the "good ol' days" higher education was primarily sought by the better to do or at least it led to higher paid positions and an elite feeling.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
No, it's an effort to teach kids vital information and keep religious dogma out of school. It's to make sure kids know about birth control, and ensure they have a better chance at not believing the lies that condoms are generally ineffective.
And you speak of morals? You are the one who calls yourself a Satanist while promoting Conservative Christian dogma. You have sided with the "morals" of ignorance, enforced stupidity, and denying the rights of an individual so they may be subjugated and dictated by another.

I'm not promoting either side, but rather indicated that both sides are completely out of line for the same reason. That reason is: They're both trying to jam their beliefs/worldview onto children, so they're both wrong from my perspective. Neither, the inclusion of, nor the absence of, this information has any affect on the student learning a job skill or improving their ability to reason. Anything that gets away from that primary purpose is irrelevant.

As a Satanist, I get to determine what I value, but I think simply blindly rejecting morality on the basis of "it's tainted by Christianity" is probably going to lead to throwing the baby out with the bathwater in many cases. I feel that approaching the subject from that angle isn't really intelligent based on the fact that most of this morality was inherited by Christianity from the cultures it absorbed rather than invented by it. We could easily argue that our morality as a whole would be the same with or without it due to the fact that it's really a product of our interactions and their yield. But, TBH, I can't really tell if you're just trolling, disingenuous, or you really believe in that, "no true Scotsman." :confused: Anyway, I don't find that developing a persecution complex in regard to the matter or being perpetually outraged by my digressions with Christianity are healthy mental traits.

But, hey, let's get into the real meat and potatoes. For most people who identify as Christian it's not about some moral concept, but rather the really obvious economic impact of paying for their children's "mistakes." They feel if their children knows too much about sex too early they have a much higher likelihood of getting stuck with a big fat bill. (Pregnancy isn't free, lol.) If you think the resistance to such notions is more complicated than that you'd be wrong. Sure, it's dressed up in all sorts of moral and religious clothing, but if you get down to the root problem that's really all it is. Since they largely don't believe in abortion this is a real threat to their economic stability. Sometimes people really over-think these things... :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So... if you don't want your children to learn about "flat earth", it is because you are weak in your beliefs?
It is a fact people used to generally believe that, and still do today. How can you properly debate it and know how to refute it's claims if you don't learn about it?
Or, more importantly, if you don't want your children to learn about God being a "first cause" as a theory, it is because your are insecure?
It is my hope, if I had kids, they could learn about that in school and reply to the teacher as I did, which was "so what caused god?" The teacher couldn't answer that one, and she dodged it saying she'd get back to it but she never did.
So "their ideology and dogma" vs your "ideology and dogma"?
Nope. I feel fine letting scientists decide what is science, I have no qualms with educators teachings facts related to the subjects they teach. I'm not installing my own dogma, only insisting religion (and others) have no right or claims to distort education to suit their whims and wants.

Homeschooling has come a long way from then...
That only mentions one group, and it's not the one I had.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not promoting either side, but rather indicated that both sides are completely out of line for the same reason. That reason is: They're both trying to jam their beliefs/worldview onto children, so they're both wrong from my perspective. Neither, the inclusion of, nor the absence of, this information has any affect on the student learning a job skill or improving their ability to reason. Anything that gets away from that primary purpose is irrelevant.
Teaching evolution in science is not a thing of people trying to "jam their beliefs onto children." Evolution is a crucial theory of biology. It is no belief. This bill, it is making it so parents can prevent their children from learning about this. And you add in a few other things Conservatives don't like, and suddenly students aren't ready for college and need remedial courses because they weren't educated well.
And, since you seem oblivious to this, education isn't always so much about learning certain facts as it is learning how to process information. Take math, for example. Of course most people will never use the quadratic formula outside of their math assignments. However, doing the work is an exercise is logical processes. Learning about science, it's not just learning concepts, the names of things, and theories and laws, but also obtaining and accessing information, and learning the process of gathering evidence and evaluating claims against the evidence.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
A good education was once of high value for conservatives. But in the "good ol' days" higher education was primarily sought by the better to do or at least it led to higher paid positions and an elite feeling.

Really it was never about education but "education". The public system was created, in the US, to ensure a work force for the employers. The goal was never to have an educated and informed population. That is a byproduct.

Kenny

Premium Member
Not true at all. I don't have a double standard, and if I ever have kids I will encourage them to study Christianity for themselves and decide if they think it is true or not. Do you have a double standard? I'll ask again, since you refused to answer: If a parent who doesn't believe Jesus existed wants to prevent his/her child from learning about Jesus, should they have the right to prevent their child from learning about Jesus? I'm guessing you'll refuse to answer again, because you know that your laughable double standard has been exposed.

Hubert, you are so laughable, not just to mention that you moved the goal post.

ABSOLUTELY... if someone wants to pull their child out so as to not learn about Jesus... go right ahead and pull the child!!!

Kenny

Premium Member
It is a fact people used to generally believe that, and still do today. How can you properly debate it and know how to refute it's claims if you don't learn about it?

Didn't answer the question. Was it because my question was as lame as your statement?

It is my hope, if I had kids, they could learn about that in school and reply to the teacher as I did, which was "so what caused god?" The teacher couldn't answer that one, and she dodged it saying she'd get back to it but she never did.

Didn't answer the question. Was it because my question was as lame as your statement?

Nope. I feel fine letting scientists decide what is science, I have no qualms with educators teachings facts related to the subjects they teach. I'm not installing my own dogma, only insisting religion (and others) have no right or claims to distort education to suit their whims and wants.

But you did have a dogma... and thus the statement "religious right" as if all religious people are on the right.

That only mentions one group, and it's not the one I had.

So? I went to a public school that wasn't hot either.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not lame. I would want kids to know about that idea, as a part of history, as a part of how ideas and approaches change, and so they at least have some idea how to shoot it down when someone attempts to assert it as truth (with those facts on how to do that coming from sciences classes).
If someone can't handle it being taught, yes, whatever their reasons, their mind and beliefs are horribly weak. Practically to the point of "sin" in my views.
I just basically said I wouldn't have any objections to it being taught (though it would depend on the class, when I had it in a class it was philosophy, an appropriate class for the idea), and added what response would make me a proud mom, because it means they are thinking.
But you did have a dogma... and thus the statement "religious right" as if all religious people are on the right.
The "Religious Right" refers to a specific ideology that asserts individual religious rights and political agendas above all else (specifically from a Conservative Protestant Christian position). I was saying I oppose religion believing it has the right to pick and chose what topics and subjects are not only taught in school, but in individual subjects. They are a part of the religious right, but certainly I never implied all religious people. Indeed, such as this forum which is heavily left-leaning in member base, meaning that there are many left-wing religious members here.
So? I went to a public school that wasn't hot either.
My objections to the general idea of "home school" is there are, last I knew, no state standards to ensure children are taught real facts about a subject (such as science), and adequately prepared for college. In my case, probably the worst example of how poor the cirriculum could be wasn't actually anything religious based, but the fact I was doing addition and subtraction with money. Which is something I learned first in kindergarten or first grade, and had it periodically enforced with new ideas (such as interest) throughout elementary school. The math I did in fifth grade, my first year of middle school and last year of public school until I went back, I was doing again at 7-8th grade. I got to high school, and algebra kicked my ***, because I had only had basic arithmetic at an elementary level and nothing resembling a pre-algebra course (I had better in elementary with "find the blank" math problems). My transition from high school to college, the second time around, was much smoother though as several years later I still remembered enough from high school to make community college rather simple.
And after the poor math standards comes a mountain of the religious-based complaints, promotion of racist and misogynist views, and teaching outright lies and fabrications to suit their very Conservative views. And, clearly there came an issue with it when it came to teaching how to use your brain logically.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Really it was never about education but "education". The public system was created, in the US, to ensure a work force for the employers. The goal was never to have an educated and informed population. That is a byproduct.
And dull them, bore them, and get them used to long hard boring life in something most likely designed to have a similar nature as a prison.
Something in education have got to change. "Teaching the [nonexistent and totally made up] controversy" is not one of them, except to purge creationism from science classes.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Your source doesn’t show what you think it does
And the idea that you have any clue what I think it does is a conceit we'll just attribute to propping up your self esteem. Okey dokey? Okey dokey. :thumbsup:

Intelligence is associated with success in life but it is not causal.
The hell you say.!!!
L0yIdQnsWGyQDUF1f76SIH4Cr0jCL7_OPrB1KcCvsPoCkXumB_JK1VcgtDbhMqCvAdZfl4-yLOB8qx8pkFopBO2GESxPwiumjMH7B86gHr4MTqy0k9kNmhAvmm2svOJOPCzjswQYLDXjA5w
(actually, if you look into the relationship between intelligence and success you'll find there is a causal correlation.. . . . . . . IF you look into it.)

I doubt you understand the distinction either.
Be my guest and doubt away. It isn't as if your doubts are meaningful or something. ;)

Kenny

Premium Member
It's not lame. I would want kids to know about that idea, as a part of history, as a part of how ideas and approaches change, and so they at least have some idea how to shoot it down when someone attempts to assert it as truth (with those facts on how to do that coming from sciences classes).
If someone can't handle it being taught, yes, whatever their reasons, their mind and beliefs are horribly weak. Practically to the point of "sin" in my views.

The problem here is the assertion that "removal" translates as "weak" -- an erroneous position.

We wouldn't teach 11 year olds to drive a car because they aren't mature enough to handle a car. Why would I want strangers to teach my kindergarten grandchild about gender identity? Is that teaching or manipulating? Or why would I want to teach my nine year old about having sex if all they are interested in is enjoying his baseball/basketball game?

Is it because I or they are weak? No. It is because it is the right information but at the wrong time. You are giving a car, so to speak, to an eleven year old who isn't mature enough to handle it.

So your point isn't valid.

I just basically said I wouldn't have any objections to it being taught (though it would depend on the class, when I had it in a class it was philosophy, an appropriate class for the idea), and added what response would make me a proud mom, because it means they are thinking.

I have no problem with people thinking. I would assume that it wasn't a philosophy class in 4th grade. I think this is apples and oranges.

The "Religious Right" refers to a specific ideology that asserts individual religious rights and political agendas above all else (specifically from a Conservative Protestant Christian position). I was saying I oppose religion believing it has the right to pick and chose what topics and subjects are not only taught in school, but in individual subjects. They are a part of the religious right, but certainly I never implied all religious people. Indeed, such as this forum which is heavily left-leaning in member base, meaning that there are many left-wing religious members here.

I think a parent has every right. This isn't a "governmental-child-rearing" nation. Communists did and do that. When they use to teach in public schools relevant material, that was great. But they have deviated from the original purpose and that is why there is a push-back.

It remains a parental right whether you agree or not.

My objections to the general idea of "home school" is there are, last I knew, no state standards to ensure children are taught real facts about a subject (such as science), and adequately prepared for college.
They take ACT and SAT just like everyone else. As noted:

Homeschool vs Public School Test Scores 2014
Brian Ray looked into the test scores from differently schooled populations in 2016, using a 2014 study. He said:

The SAT 2014 test scores of college-bound homeschool students were higher than the national average of all college-bound seniors that same year. Some 13,549 homeschool seniors had the following mean scores: 567 in critical reading, 521 in mathematics, and 535 in writing (College Board, 2014a). The mean SAT scores for all college-bound seniors in 2014 were 497 in critical reading, 513 in mathematics, and 487 in writing (College Board, 2014b). The homeschool students’ SAT scores were 0.61 standard deviation higher in reading, 0.26 standard deviation higher in mathematics, and 0.42 standard deviation higher in writing than those of all college-bound seniors taking the SAT, and these are notably large differences…the test scores of homeschool students are higher than the national average for all students. [NHERI, Ray, B, 2016]

This isn't one segment of home-schoolers but homeschoolers in general.

Again... this makes your point mute.

In my case, probably the worst example of how poor the cirriculum could be wasn't actually anything religious based, but the fact I was doing addition and subtraction with money. Which is something I learned first in kindergarten or first grade, and had it periodically enforced with new ideas (such as interest) throughout elementary school. The math I did in fifth grade, my first year of middle school and last year of public school until I went back, I was doing again at 7-8th grade. I got to high school, and algebra kicked my ***, because I had only had basic arithmetic at an elementary level and nothing resembling a pre-algebra course (I had better in elementary with "find the blank" math problems). My transition from high school to college, the second time around, was much smoother though as several years later I still remembered enough from high school to make community college rather simple.
And after the poor math standards comes a mountain of the religious-based complaints, promotion of racist and misogynist views, and teaching outright lies and fabrications to suit their very Conservative views. And, clearly there came an issue with it when it came to teaching how to use your brain logically.
Yes... yours was a poor experience.

Then again, there are thousands of people who said they had a poor experience in public schools. We just can't throw out a baby because of the dirty water.

Do we need public schools? Absolutely. Is home-schooling a great options? Certainly. Should parents still have the right to opt out of those classes that are contrary to their standards of ethics? indubitably!!! We don't want government to raise our children, we want parents to raise their children and schools to teach them, ready, writing, math, history, biology etc... not what they believe morality should be in the 21st century.