• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Flat Earth in the Holy Bible!

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
Well, even though I personally don't believe in a flat earth it says in Revelation 5:3 "But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth could open the scroll or even look inside it."

I believe this is speaking about the dead.
Paul also uses a similar expression in Philippians 2:9-10....."For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth" (NASB)

The dead will be resurrected to to praise Jesus who calls them out of their graves. (John 5:28, 29)

JayJayDee

Avid JW Bible Student
The "four corners of the earth" are the four main directions North, South, East and West. Figurative "corners"

When we talk about teaching into corners, we are speaking about getting to the farthest point of some place.
This is where the good news of God's kingdom had to go. (Matt 24:14)

While the lasnd on earth will be basicily flat, the planet earth will be round.
ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY GOD , iF GOD decides to tell someone something, or give him a dream, or have whomever to receive a vision , but what ever means God uses to transmit information to his servants
does not in any manner make it more or make it less , as It is all God inspired, those of you that care to scoff , I'm sure the reverse will result on your day of reckoning
As God has some nasty things to say about scoffers concerning His words.. But those that chose to belittle or make jest of Holy Scriptures I sure wouldn't want to be in your shoes when the day of reckoning comes about.
and if just supposing in youre wildest dream you are correct it won't matter anyways .'

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
While the lasnd on earth will be basicily flat, the planet earth will be round.
ALL SCRIPTURE IS GIVEN BY GOD , iF GOD decides to tell someone something, or give him a dream, or have whomever to receive a vision , but what ever means God uses to transmit information to his servants
does not in any manner make it more or make it less , as It is all God inspired, those of you that care to scoff , I'm sure the reverse will result on your day of reckoning
As God has some nasty things to say about scoffers concerning His words.. But those that chose to belittle or make jest of Holy Scriptures I sure wouldn't want to be in your shoes when the day of reckoning comes about.
and if just supposing in youre wildest dream you are correct it won't matter anyways .'

The earth is a sphere.

Obviously not all Bible scripture is given by God.

Don't give us that "day of reckoning" threat crap.

Of course whomever wrote it is going to include wording to make people leery of questioning it, or of leaving the faith. That doesn't make it true.

Most of the people here are making legitimate points, and asking good questions.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Hi,
Does the bible mention that earth is flat? please provide the verse if it was mentioned.
By the way, i hope you won't go on the defense. I know many people mock Christianity for believing that earth is flat but i'm asking this because i'm really considering it might actually be correct.
So, i hope you will answer me based on the bible, not what you personally believe in.
Thank you.

Isaiah 40:22 mentions the circle of the earth. Circle as in globe as the visible moon was and is also a round circular globe.
The writing was Not meant that earth is Not an oblate spheroid, but just expressing the roundness of earth.
Years ago I read a post about the horizon Not being a flat line.
The word rotund was in connection to that, and that is also where we get the word rotunda. We know the Rotunda is Not a flat building.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Isaiah 40:22 mentions the circle of the earth. Circle as in globe as the visible moon was and is also a round circular globe.
The writing was Not meant that earth is Not an oblate spheroid, but just expressing the roundness of earth.
Years ago I read a post about the horizon Not being a flat line.
The word rotund was in connection to that, and that is also where we get the word rotunda. We know the Rotunda is Not a flat building.

That is not correct.

The word used means a scribed flat circle, - not a sphere.

Isa 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chug) of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Chug = a flat scribed circle = pancake shape.

Job 22:14 Clouds are a covering for Him, and He does not see; and He walks the circuit (chug) of the heavens.

Pro 8:27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass (chug) upon the face of the depth:

As you can see they all mean a flat scribed circle.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Isn't this a DIR?

And how would that be considered an attack?

I replied to -

AtPollard said:
Please don't take this as an attack, but where does it say any of that?

And he was replying to this -

fred Williams said:
while before the flood the earth was one huge land mass and flat
The bible also says when Jesus returns when the last humans are allowed to enter this new kingdom the earth will have returned to it original format one land mass
The only difference from the original (before the flood) it will rain, whereas before the flood it never rained it had what we call a canopy effect with water overhead as a canopy protecting from the sun rays

As Jesus says any government that does not come to Jerusalem each year, that kingdom will have it's rainfall withheld. until they do. I'm not sure if this just means that King or that everyone must come to Jerusalem each year, which would be possible as anyone could travel by land from anywhere to Jerusalem.
As near as I can make out the land will be basicily flat again although Mount Olive after it splits in two a river will flow through the valley of these two Mounts to the Mediterranean Sea and Jerusalem will become a sea port.

Bunkum means nonsense. The Bible does not actually say those things. Verses are being misunderstood, or misinterpreted out of context.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That is not correct.
The word used means a scribed flat circle, - not a sphere.

Isa 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle (chug) of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:
Chug = a flat scribed circle = pancake shape.
Job 22:14 Clouds are a covering for Him, and He does not see; and He walks the circuit (chug) of the heavens.
Pro 8:27 When he prepared the heavens, I was there: when he set a compass (chug) upon the face of the depth:
As you can see they all mean a flat scribed circle.

Does the Hebrew chug/hhug have to mean flat because the Hebrew Tanach at Job 22:14 uses the word 'orbit '
and Proverbs 8:27 uses the word ' globe '.

From the Hebrew don't we also in English get the words vault and horizon ?
Horizon is not a flat line and in connection to that we get rotund and Rotunda as Not being flat.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Does the Hebrew chug/hhug have to mean flat because the Hebrew Tanach at Job 22:14 uses the word 'orbit '
and Proverbs 8:27 uses the word ' globe '.

From the Hebrew don't we also in English get the words vault and horizon ?
Horizon is not a flat line and in connection to that we get rotund and Rotunda as Not being flat.

An "orbit" is a "circuit" = a set path, from the word chug meaning to scribe a circle = place a stick in the center, add string to it - scribe the size, flat circle, orbit, etc., that you want. No sphere. As has been pointed out by others - they had a word for sphere.

As to the other - why would they be setting a "globe" on the deep?

Proverbs 8:27 actually adds the word for engrave = Chaqaq Chug - engrave a scribed circle (engraved circle.) (basic forms)

No sphere anywhere.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Hi,

Does the bible mention that earth is flat? please provide the verse if it was mentioned.

By the way, i hope you won't go on the defense. I know many people mock Christianity for believing that earth is flat but i'm asking this because i'm really considering it might actually be correct.

So, i hope you will answer me based on the bible, not what you personally believe in.

Thank you.

Are you serious?
You actually think it's possible this earth is flat?
I have been a Christian for 68 years and never once have I heard that anyone
thinks Christians believe in a flat earth.
In fact this post is the only place I've ever seen it suggested that Christians
believe the earth is flat.
Where do you come up with such information?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
The argument continues until now whether the OT Hebrew means "circle" or "sphere". There are obvious and Occam's explanations for the pillars of the Earth and etc.

Remember, if the Bible says one thing wrong, throw it out. However, the millions of people who own Bibles now are safe in my opinion. LOL.

When y'all can show me where the Bible didn't accurately predict the future, or where any of its people or places are refuted by archaeology, we can "square the circle".

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The argument continues until now whether the OT Hebrew means "circle" or "sphere". There are obvious and Occam's explanations for the pillars of the Earth and etc.
Well then that is easily solved - the word used to describe the shape of the earth was chwg - which means a circle, not a sphere (dur).
Remember, if the Bible says one thing wrong, throw it out. However, the millions of people who own Bibles now are safe in my opinion. LOL.

When y'all can show me where the Bible didn't accurately predict the future, or where any of its people or places are refuted by archaeology, we can "square the circle".
Oh ok, well that is just as easy - Nazareth did not exist when Jesus was born. Herod was dead in the year he was supposed to have ordered the census. Jericho was not occupied when Joshua besieged it.
As to failed prophecy, then just look to Jesus failing to return as promised.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Well then that is easily solved - the word used to describe the shape of the earth was chwg - which means a circle, not a sphere (dur).Oh ok, well that is just as easy - Nazareth did not exist when Jesus was born. Herod was dead in the year he was supposed to have ordered the census. Jericho was not occupied when Joshua besieged it.
As to failed prophecy, then just look to Jesus failing to return as promised.

Sorry, as I've just written, the word for circle and sphere are arguable and are even now debated.

There is not at present archaeological evidence or documentary evidence of Nazareth having existed prior to circa 300 AD. That doesn't mean it didn't exist, however.

Jesus did not fail to return as promised, unless we can identify both a date and the circumstances of His return:

1. If you're date setting, you must be a JW or etc. I keep looking but cannot see a date for the Return of Jesus in the Bible. Even Jesus indicated the Father would release Him to get His bride once His bride's housing was completed. This is consistent with Jewish ceremonial marriage customs in the ANE.

2. Circumstances Jesus DID give for His Return include Israel being a Jewish nation (whoa!) and a third Temple being completed and in use in Jerusalem. I might be more concerned if I were you!

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Sorry, as I've just written, the word for circle and sphere are arguable and are even now debated.
I know for a fact that you do not care if your posts are true or not. But no circle and ball are two different and distinct words in hebrew.
There is not at present archaeological evidence or documentary evidence of Nazareth having existed prior to circa 300 AD. That doesn't mean it didn't exist, however.

Jesus did not fail to return as promised, unless we can identify both a date and the circumstances of His return:

1. If you're date setting, you must be a JW or etc. I keep looking but cannot see a date for the Return of Jesus in the Bible. Even Jesus indicated the Father would release Him to get His bride once His bride's housing was completed. This is consistent with Jewish ceremonial marriage customs in the ANE.

2. Circumstances Jesus DID give for His Return include Israel being a Jewish nation (whoa!) and a third Temple being completed and in use in Jerusalem. I might be more concerned if I were you!
You forgot the main 'circumstance' he specified - that he would return within a generation.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I know for a fact that you do not care if your posts are true or not. But no circle and ball are two different and distinct words in hebrew.You forgot the main 'circumstance' he specified - that he would return within a generation.

The Greek word used for generation has six definitions, most of which aren't one person's generation. It could as easily be rendered "this Jewish people will not pass away before I Return" for one of several examples.

Which is why seeing Israel as a Jewish state again holds import for students of prophecy.

Kolibri

You forgot the main 'circumstance' he specified - that he would return within a generation.

Judgement did come on that Jewish system within 40 years. But the prophesy was about more than one conclusion of an age/system of things. And there is a difference in meaning between parousia and "coming." The actual Greek word for coming is used 8 times in Matthew chapters 24 and 25 and it does mean arriving, but for the question was in relation to Christ's parousia which is a word contrasted with "absence". (Mt 24:3; Php 2:12) It is more completely understood as "presence", someone that has arrived and then stays around for a while.

We saw the beginning of the composite sign of Christ's invisible presence with how the world has been turned on end since WWI. That was a few months shy of 101 years ago. He is due to arrive in a more undeniable way soon as pointed out by the "generation" you mentioned.

Rather than keeping to a generation as the lifespan of one individual, we have to realize that a generation at most is 2 groups of people whose lives overlap.
Take for instance Joseph's generation. He was the 11th of 12 boys. Some of his generation lived before him and some died after him, but it was still "a" generation.

Last edited: