• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Feeling Sorry for Myself

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Each step I take is painful these days. The Doctors says I have a spinal problem which causes pressure on the nerves exiting the base of my spine. Doctors also say there's nothing they can do. They can give me pain pills but A. It's not healthy to take them over long periods of time and B. They become less effective the more you take, so I'd need to take an ever increasing quantity. They tell me at some point it's likely I'll become incontinent, Yay!

So yes it'd be easy to feel sorry for me. Wallow in self pity, but truthfully, when I when start to head down that road, I feel guilt. I think about so many folks much worse off then me. I can still walk, even though painful, I wonder how many people who can't walk would give anything, just to be able to walk again, even with the pain.

All in all I've had a pretty good life, wonderful Wife, good kids, grand kids just now learning to walk and deal with entirety of their life to come.

It's just I've always been the person to fix other people's problems, I guess now I'm afraid of becoming the problem.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Bummer.
All I can offer is....
th

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Each step I take is painful these days. The Doctors says I have a spinal problem which causes pressure on the nerves exiting the base of my spine. Doctors also say there's nothing they can do. They can give me pain pills but A. It's not healthy to take them over long periods of time and B. They become less effective the more you take, so I'd need to take an ever increasing quantity. They tell me at some point it's likely I'll become incontinent, Yay!
Take the pills. **** everyone who would look down on you for trying to feel better. If your condition is anything like mine(and I hope it isn't) there's going to be a day where it's either painkillers or suicide. Don't let it go that far.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think you have a good attitude towards your predicament, Nakosis. That says a lot about your character.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Walking less so to decrease the pain and dependence on pain pills seems like the smart way to go. Given the option of walking in pain or sitting, most people would probably choose to sit, but maybe occasionally walk.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

So yes it'd be easy to feel sorry for me. Wallow in self pity, but truthfully, when I when start to head down that road, I feel guilt. I think about so many folks much worse off then me. I can still walk, even though painful, I wonder how many people who can't walk would give anything, just to be able to walk again, even with the pain.

All in all I've had a pretty good life, wonderful Wife, good kids, grand kids just now learning to walk and deal with entirety of their life to come.

It's just I've always been the person to fix other people's problems, I guess now I'm afraid of becoming the problem.

We must be twins. I have 3 cracked vertebrae and am in constant pain if I stand for over a couple of minutes or walk or shower etc. I have to take taxis everywhere and my family who own 3 cars and live nearby never ever have offered in 16 years to take us even for a ride.

But the Baha'is vist and are most kind to me. When they drop in as I am in an isolated area, they take me to McDonalds or Kentucky and treat me like a real human being and just to experience their love and warmth I'm willing to have a hundred cracked vertebrae because it's awesome when people who are strangers, whom one has never met are closer than ones own family because of spiritual ties.

I share your suffering but it's nothing compared to the joy of knowing Baha'u'llah. I have spiritual health and that means much more to me than this body. After all, what's the use of having all ones faculties and health and being unhappy?

Just writing here you made my day and I'm finding that there are many more ways of helping people that don't require physics.

God Bless you and never lose hope because although your body is in pain, your spirit is healthy.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
In a similar situation--have had to learn to exercise more regularly and in a targeted way to reduce the pain/increase mobility (in fact, I need to go do some of that right now...). At best a stopgap measure...but hang in there! There's lots of good to be had, even with the pain!

Thief

Rogue Theologian

collapsed disk?

David T

Premium Member

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Well, I've certainly caused my share of problems already in my life, if you take my meaning:p:D:eek::rolleyes:...and I do aim to misbehave a bit more in my remaining time!;):cool:

BE the Problem!:D

David T

Premium Member
You have a wonderful life. My daughter is severely limited. A very heavy burden but she teaches. Right now you have the opportunity if you choose to, to teach Grace and inspiare. In the Christian text that is a powerful undercurrent..a young man who walks to his execution unfairly accused unfairly executed, misunderstood. He did it with such grace that it inspired at a deep level. You will die we all do go out with inspiring grace.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Try to be positive and look at it as having the break you deserve, and maybe take up a hobby, its your life, your call.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
OP: This happens to many people. Part and price of life. You can say - the final installment. Yeah, there are always people who have more problems that one may have. Face them courageously. That will show your mettle.
But the Baha'is visit and are most kind to me.
All faiths have nice people and crafty people as well. But that is not the subject of the topic.
In the Christian text that is a powerful undercurrent ..
Same problem here.

Last edited:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey Nakois, I work in physical therapy/structural integration and I have lots of patients who have structural illness and injury causing chronic pain. It sucks, in ways that I don't think anyone not there can describe (I had chronic nausea and abdominal pain for years and years). But I think the best thing you can do is always be your advocate, not your anchor. Push for second and third opinions on treatment options, keep an open mind without letting people run off with your money, and try and find support groups, because it really does help.

I wish you the best of luck, and as much peace and serenity as it's possible to find despite it all. :hugehug:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Have you tried alternative approaches? Acupuncture or chiropractic? Is medicinal cannabis legal where you live? :)

Anything is worth a shot once you have exhausted the orthodox medical approach....strong drugs are just for symptomatic relief....they damage the liver and kidneys. Hope you find some relief.

Jedster

I have had serious back problems myself and found great help with acupuncture or chiropractic as @Deeje has said.
Also have you tried swimming?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Cannabis is the solution to every medical problem, in fact we don't need medicine anymore, just cannabis.!!

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

I am glad that despite your suffering you have found reasons to smile and appreciate Life.

I feel there are many here who could learn from that.

Last edited by a moderator:

whirlingmerc

I'm so sorry. Take one day at a time