• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

February average temperatures - disturbing

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But local events are supposedly what contribute to global causes, correct? For example, running your car is local. A smokestack at your hometown factory is local. Both supposedly contribute to the overall global "carbon" whatever. Driving your car is not a global event that sets a base temperature. That's a local event, but environmentalists point to it as a leading contributor. So it's a combination of local events that are said to be the problem.
Yes, and those are taken account of in models.

Local events may add a little bit, but carbon dioxide traps heat 24/7. Reducing CO2 with a slight local gain still leads to a total drop in temperatures from human activities.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is not just the temperature. It is the rate of change too. And the shifting of populations that will result. It is going to take longer than the end of this century, but southern Florida is toast. You could go down there. Buy a nice house and even sell it at a profit when you died or left the state. But your great grandchildren probably could not spend their lives there. As you can see by this map only 2 feet rise is enough to impact houses on the coast. But sea level rise is projected to be a meter. Worst case scenario, 2.4 meters or 8 feet. But 3 feet is more liely. And CO2 does not come out of the atmosphere quickly. We are likely to continue to warm for another hundred years even if we stopped all fossil fuel burning right now. We are not trying to stop sea level rise at this point in time. We are trying to keep it to a minimum:

FL_topography.jpg

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Thank you for posting the first alarmist commentary as I easily predicted.
It was said tongue in cheek, we'll be stuffed well before we get to that. That's not alarmist, that's the road we're on.
I genuinely can't understand why people maintain denial in the face of the accepted scientific evidence. The evidence is literally all around us.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It was said tongue in cheek, we'll be stuffed well before we get to that. That's not alarmist, that's the road we're on.
I genuinely can't understand why people maintain denial in the face of the accepted scientific evidence. The evidence is literally all around us.
Well that depends on how accurate the evidence is. Only time tells and I'm sure once everyone sees a fire, there will no longer be a need to convince others to be on board.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Well that depends on how accurate the evidence is. Only time tells and I'm sure once everyone sees a fire, there will no longer be a need to convince others to be on board.
It's nearly too late now. Sitting around doing nothing is not the sensible response. We ARE wrecking the biosphere right now.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
It is not just the temperature. It is the rate of change too. And the shifting of populations that will result. It is going to take longer than the end of this century, but southern Florida is toast. You could go down there. Buy a nice house and even sell it at a profit when you died or left the state. But your great grandchildren probably could not spend their lives there. As you can see by this map only 2 feet rise is enough to impact houses on the coast. But sea level rise is projected to be a meter. Worst case scenario, 2.4 meters or 8 feet. But 3 feet is more liely. And CO2 does not come out of the atmosphere quickly. We are likely to continue to warm for another hundred years even if we stopped all fossil fuel burning right now. We are not trying to stop sea level rise at this point in time. We are trying to keep it to a minimum:

FL_topography.jpg

Yep. I have family members buried in SW Fl, and sadly, their remains will be under water in < 100 years.

Regiomontanus

Hey brother. Sad to see that you don't quite get it. Yes, of course, in the last ~4.6 billion years, the climate has changed. The point here is that this dramatic, rapid, and probably catastrophic change is due to *human activity.* We are destroying God's Good Creation out of greed and profit (aka, capitalism).

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hey brother. Sad to see that you don't quite get it. Yes, of course, in the last ~4.6 billion years, the climate has changed. The point here is that this dramatic, rapid, and probably catastrophic change is due to *human activity.* We are destroying God's Good Creation out of greed and profit (aka, capitalism).
I do understand and we certainly should take care of our earth. Just noting that there is a quick decline from 5 - 0 and the quick increase is relatively recent and the future is a conjecture at this point.

Firenze

Premium Member
"Last month was the world's hottest February on record

February 2024 was 0.12°C (0.22°F) hotter than the previous warmest February in 2016, and 1.77°C (3.2°F) warmer than the February average for the 1850–1900 pre-industrial period."

View attachment 89195

View attachment 89196

"Experts have expressed shock at just how hot the oceans have been, especially the North Atlantic, which has set a new daily temperature record every day since March 5 last year, according to Brian McNoldy, a senior research associate at the University of Miami Rosenstiel School.

“At times, the records have been broken by margins that are virtually statistically impossible,” McNoldy told CNN.

Record ocean heat has significant global impacts. Not only is it dangerous for marine life but it also fuels extreme weather, including scorching heat waves, intense rainfall and ferocious hurricanes."

That’s just crazy talk! Trump went outside in December and noted - “It’s cold! See? No global warming!”

That should settle it…..

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Insurance companies. The warmer the temperatures the more extreme weather events. They face more and more payouts, and that means higher premiums for all of us.
Translation....

More profit for the insurance industry while they deny claims contrary to what they advertise to sucker people in.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I do understand and we certainly should take care of our earth. Just noting that there is a quick decline from 5 - 0 and the quick increase is relatively recent and the future is a conjecture at this point.
Why do you say that it is conjecture? You do not get to claim that without refuting the current models, which have been very accurate to date if you go with the estimates in the middle. The best case scenarios have never occurred, but then neither have the worst case scenarios either. So when the worst case scenario for sea level rise by the end of the century is 8 feet I do not take that one seriously. Nor do I take the best case scenario of only a foot or so.

Regiomontanus

Translation....

More profit for the insurance industry while they deny claims contrary to what they advertise to sucker people in.

Actually, no. What it means is that the insurance companies are having to pay out more and more because of climate change - and they accept the science that tells them it is only to get worse - so like any for-profit industry, they are passing the increased costs on to you and me.