• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

February average temperatures - disturbing

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
"Last month was the world's hottest February on record

February 2024 was 0.12°C (0.22°F) hotter than the previous warmest February in 2016, and 1.77°C (3.2°F) warmer than the February average for the 1850–1900 pre-industrial period."

1709909298511.jpeg

1709909379519.jpeg

"Experts have expressed shock at just how hot the oceans have been, especially the North Atlantic, which has set a new daily temperature record every day since March 5 last year, according to Brian McNoldy, a senior research associate at the University of Miami Rosenstiel School.

“At times, the records have been broken by margins that are virtually statistically impossible,” McNoldy told CNN.

Record ocean heat has significant global impacts. Not only is it dangerous for marine life but it also fuels extreme weather, including scorching heat waves, intense rainfall and ferocious hurricanes."

Last edited:

Wandering Monk

In my neck of the woods, average February temperatures were 10F above average and the warmest on record.

With the very warm February to go along with the warmest December in state history, as well as a warmer than normal January, the meteorological winter (Dec-Feb) will go down as the warmest in state history without question, surpassing the old record set in the winter of 1997-1998 by roughly 2.0°F. MSP even surpassed the Pioneer Era record warm winter of 1877-1878. So far, over 65 long-term climate stations have officially reported 2023-2024 as their warmest winter in history.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
"Last month was the world's hottest February on record

February 2024 was 0.12°C (0.22°F) hotter than the previous warmest February in 2016, and 1.77°C (3.2°F) warmer than the February average for the 1850–1900 pre-industrial period."

View attachment 89195

View attachment 89196

"Experts have expressed shock at just how hot the oceans have been, especially the North Atlantic, which has set a new daily temperature record every day since March 5 last year, according to Brian McNoldy, a senior research associate at the University of Miami Rosenstiel School.

“At times, the records have been broken by margins that are virtually statistically impossible,” McNoldy told CNN.

Record ocean heat has significant global impacts. Not only is it dangerous for marine life but it also fuels extreme weather, including scorching heat waves, intense rainfall and ferocious hurricanes."

I'd rather see it through a scientific lens rather than an alarmist one.

Shaul

Premium Member
Um, since both 2016 and 2024 were leap years, with an additional day in February, it isn't strange to see their average temperatures slightly different from the others.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Um, since both 2016 and 2024 were leap years, with an additional day in February, it isn't strange to see their average temperatures slightly different from the others.
2000 and 2004 were marginally below the trend, so that "theory" is out the window...unless they were abbreviated leap years.

Shaul

Premium Member
2000 and 2004 were marginally below the trend, so that "theory" is out the window...unless they were abbreviated leap years.
I didn't state a theory. I noted a fact. An analysis that doesn't take into account the difference between leap year Februaries and non-leap year Februaries is faulty.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't state a theory. I noted a fact. An analysis that doesn't take into account the difference between leap year Februaries and non-leap year Februaries is faulty.
Did you even read my post? If this is a "noted fact," explain 2000 and 2004.

ETA: Correction. I was reading 2003 as 2004. While 2004 was marginally above, it was nowhere close to the extent of 2024. So an explanation is still needed.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd rather see it through a scientific lens rather than an alarmist one.
I'll give you "scientific"...
It's the 1st December that I ever had veggies grow & be harvested.
It's the 1st February that I've had with weeds growing like weeds.