• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

February average temperatures - disturbing

Audie

Veteran Member
I advise Hong Kong residents
to be very wealthy.

In USA, government makes such housing
illegal, preferring that people be homeless.
It doesn't make sense, but government can
feel good about prohibiting substandard
housing without considering consequences
that are even worse.
Ideology over results

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I didn't state a theory. I noted a fact. An analysis that doesn't take into account the difference between leap year Februaries and non-leap year Februaries is faulty.
That statement isn't even remotely logical.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Solar panel surfaces are dark and get very hot in the sun, contributing to global warming/climate change. Letting the sun shine on a more reflective surface such as a mirror would reflect the sun's evil rays back into space.

:oops:

Laniakea

Not of this world
It was said tongue in cheek, we'll be stuffed well before we get to that. That's not alarmist, that's the road we're on.
I genuinely can't understand why people maintain denial in the face of the accepted scientific evidence. The evidence is literally all around us.

When I was in school in the 70s, I remember reading in Science textbooks about how we're going to be "gasping for air" by the year 2000. Here it is 2024, we're breathing just fine, and yet the climate alarmists are louder than ever. No wonder people are tuning them out.

Laniakea

Not of this world
Not sure about that. They will (or have in a some cases already) stop coverage in some areas completely because the liability is just too high - they will and are starting to lose money at a rate that they can not realistically pass on to everyone else. I know quite a bit about actuarial science (the math of the insurance industry) and trust me, they know what the deal is. This is very straight forward brother.

They know to stay out of areas where crime is rampant and accepted. When criminals are allowed to steal and get away with it, insurance companies stop insuring in those areas.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When I was in school in the 70s, I remember reading in Science textbooks about how we're going to be "gasping for air" by the year 2000. Here it is 2024, we're breathing just fine, and yet the climate alarmists are louder than ever. No wonder people are tuning them out.
Out of curiosity, how much did you study:
  1. The effects of poor air quality on human health
  2. How environmental regulations have limited those negative outcomes
We (especially those suffering respiratory illnesses like asthma) didn't end up "gasping for air" because we regulated air pollutants.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Really? Who was claiming that in the 70's? I remember a few scientists predicting global cooling the press lapping it up. That was because it was a new claim. Unfortunately the press will accept almost anything if it is new and if it comes from scientists, that includes both good science and bad science. All that they care about are headlines.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We (especially those suffering respiratory illnesses like asthma) didn't end up "gasping for air" because we regulated air pollutants.

I think that the only time I ever went to Los Angeles was in about 1995. And the various clean air acts had even by that time greatly improved the air quality of that city. I guess that I am fortunate because I have never experienced nor will I ever experience an LA that has deadly smog.

Laniakea

Not of this world

And now you're happy? Or do we STILL have to put up with electric cars, give up all gas appliances, and pay more for energy since the reliable ones are being mandated to be torn down?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And now you're happy? Or do we STILL have to put up with electric cars, give up all gas appliances, and pay more for energy since the reliable ones are being mandated to be torn down?
What are you talking about? First off, yes we do have to give up internal combustion engines and go with more reliable and cheaper electricity. You do not have to switch right now, but sooner or later new gas cars will not be made any longer. Electricity is far more reliable than gas. Both have their problems if abused. But you will find that just due to the number of moving parts that gas engines are less reliable.

No one is mandating the tearing down of existing appliances. The days that you can buy them will by numbered.

Laniakea

Not of this world
What are you talking about? First off, yes we do have to give up internal combustion engines and go with more reliable and cheaper electricity. You do not have to switch right now, but sooner or later new gas cars will not be made any longer. Electricity is far more reliable than gas. Both have their problems if abused. But you will find that just due to the number of moving parts that gas engines are less reliable.

Then you should watch this. I saw it when it originally aired and it was an eye-opener as to how UNreliable electric cars are. There was a guy there who had one, and it spent a year and a half waiting on a new battery. Meanwhile, he relied on a gas vehicle that never let him down.

No one is mandating the tearing down of existing appliances. The days that you can buy them will by numbered.

Oh goodie, I'll be forbidden from ever buying one again!
Now I feel so much better.[/QUOTE]

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then you should watch this. I saw it when it originally aired and it was an eye-opener as to how UNreliable electric cars are. There was a guy there who had one, and it spent a year and a half waiting on a new battery. Meanwhile, he relied on a gas vehicle that never let him down.

Oh goodie, I'll be forbidden from ever buying one again!
Now I feel so much better.

Let's see, they have an incompetent women that could not even attack to a charge point properly. You know, the same sort that drives away from filling stations with the gas hose still stuck in the car.

Electric cars are still in their infancy. The Tesla roadster, which only showed that it was possible to mass produce electric cars came out in only 2008. The Model S came out in 2012. That was the first mass produced electric car. Tell me, how reliable were gas cars only twelve years after they were first mass produced? Right now they do have more problems than gas powered cars. In fact they have 80% more problems. That may seem to be a lot, but since most people have no problems with their gas cars, by quite a high percentage, you will see only a few people with problems with electric cars. And right now you can get a gas car fixed almost anywhere. But once again, where would you go in the first twelve years of gas cars? Most people had to know how to fix their own.

From an engineering point of view it is simple to see that electric will soon be far more reliable. The only reason that gas engines are reliable is because they have been perfected over a hundred years. Electric will catch up. The distance that an electric car will go is already on par with gas cars.

And tell me, do you own a house? If you do you don't even have to worry about charge points or ever running out of electricity, at least not unless you take a major road trip. If you own a house you just plug your car in every night and in the morning it will be fully charged with an average range of 300 miles. We are not yet set up to where those living in apartments can easily charge their cars. But most electric car owners will also be home owners.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot the article where it shows that there problems are 80% more frequent in electric cars. But as you said, you had no problems in your gas car. An 80% increase from zero is still zero.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that the only time I ever went to Los Angeles was in about 1995. And the various clean air acts had even by that time greatly improved the air quality of that city. I guess that I am fortunate because I have never experienced nor will I ever experience an LA that has deadly smog.
The recent wildfires in the West and in Canada that brought a lot of smoke into the Midwest is the closest I've experienced to that level of air pollution myself. I'm not among the sensitive or at-risk populations, but it didn't matter - pretty much everyone noticed it and had mild itching in the eyes and throat. After that I pulled on an N-95 since I still had some from the pandemic. Imagine being exposed to that every day, all the time. Such would've been the fate of this country if we hadn't acted, created things like the EPA, and regulated air pollution.

I try to remember success stories like this when I get too pessimistic about human inaction on climate change and ecological devastation. We can, actually do it. We can, actually, knock it off.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The recent wildfires in the West and in Canada that brought a lot of smoke into the Midwest is the closest I've experienced to that level of air pollution myself. I'm not among the sensitive or at-risk populations, but it didn't matter - pretty much everyone noticed it and had mild itching in the eyes and throat. After that I pulled on an N-95 since I still had some from the pandemic. Imagine being exposed to that every day, all the time. Such would've been the fate of this country if we hadn't acted, created things like the EPA, and regulated air pollution.

I try to remember success stories like this when I get too pessimistic about human inaction on climate change and ecological devastation. We can, actually do it. We can, actually, knock it off.
Yeah , we had that here a couple of summers ago. Terrible air quality. I too pictures of ashes on cars and the forest fires were at least 50 miles away. It was not all that safe for me to be outside.

Laniakea

Not of this world
Let's see, they have an incompetent women that could not even attack to a charge point properly. You know, the same sort that drives away from filling stations with the gas hose still stuck in the car.

Electric cars are still in their infancy. The Tesla roadster, which only showed that it was possible to mass produce electric cars came out in only 2008. The Model S came out in 2012. That was the first mass produced electric car. Tell me, how reliable were gas cars only twelve years after they were first mass produced? Right now they do have more problems than gas powered cars. In fact they have 80% more problems. That may seem to be a lot, but since most people have no problems with their gas cars, by quite a high percentage, you will see only a few people with problems with electric cars. And right now you can get a gas car fixed almost anywhere. But once again, where would you go in the first twelve years of gas cars? Most people had to know how to fix their own.

From an engineering point of view it is simple to see that electric will soon be far more reliable. The only reason that gas engines are reliable is because they have been perfected over a hundred years. Electric will catch up. The distance that an electric car will go is already on par with gas cars.

And tell me, do you own a house? If you do you don't even have to worry about charge points or ever running out of electricity, at least not unless you take a major road trip. If you own a house you just plug your car in every night and in the morning it will be fully charged with an average range of 300 miles. We are not yet set up to where those living in apartments can easily charge their cars. But most electric car owners will also be home owners.

EDIT: Oops, almost forgot the article where it shows that there problems are 80% more frequent in electric cars. But as you said, you had no problems in your gas car. An 80% increase from zero is still zero.

I actually do own a house, but from what I found online, I would have to upgrade my 100 amp surface to 200 amp, and that would cost me another $3000 to make happen. I know this because I replaced a gas water heater a few years ago and was considering getting an electric water heater instead of gas. That's how I discovered how much it would cost to upgrade my electric service because it would have been needed if I were to get an electric water heater. $3000 for an upgrade, plus double the operating cost for the electric water heater. The upgrade would be needed also if I were to have an electric car charger. How to Avoid Common Pitfalls with Level 2 EV Charger Installation | Plugless Power.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I actually do own a house, but from what I found online, I would have to upgrade my 100 amp surface to 200 amp, and that would cost me another $3000 to make happen. I know this because I replaced a gas water heater a few years ago and was considering getting an electric water heater instead of gas. That's how I discovered how much it would cost to upgrade my electric service because it would have been needed if I were to get an electric water heater. $3000 for an upgrade, plus double the operating cost for the electric water heater. The upgrade would be needed also if I were to have an electric car charger. How to Avoid Common Pitfalls with Level 2 EV Charger Installation | Plugless Power.
"Surface"? Okay, so there might be a minor expense. Over the lifetime of the car an EV buyer will still save money on electricity over gas. In fact oil prices are going to go up no matter what for two reasons. We are already at peak oil. There can be temporary local surges in availability, but oil is a limited resource. We may find new ways to get more oil out of existing source, but they will be more expensive and there will not be that much oil left. Originally there was enough so that it could be pumped out. There are still some sources like that, but more and more need fracking. Neither of those will last forever. Second will be taxes. Like it or not it is becoming painfully obvious that AGW is a real problem. One way to get people to use less oil and to pay for new technology to replace it will be to tax all fossils fuels at a higher and hihger rate. Right now oil is grossly undertaxed.

But you yourself do not need to change. You have dated yourself a bit and you are either in your 60's or even higher. You will not be forced to change. And younger people will want to change. They will want the new superior technology.

Interesting article. I did not know that they had the same thing as they have with phones where one does not need to plug them in.

Laniakea

Not of this world
Neither of those will last forever. Second will be taxes. Like it or not it is becoming painfully obvious that AGW is a real problem. One way to get people to use less oil and to pay for new technology to replace it will be to tax all fossils fuels at a higher and hihger rate. Right now oil is grossly undertaxed.

But you yourself do not need to change. You have dated yourself a bit and you are either in your 60's or even higher. You will not be forced to change. And younger people will want to change. They will want the new superior technology.

Interesting how this second half of your post sounded like a communist dictator threatening his public. "You will comply, or else!!!"
Just sayin'.