• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite cheese?

rufusbucher

Recently, I've been exploring various cheese options, moving beyond the usual Bega cheddar. Gouda and Monterey Jack have become my current favorites, especially for a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Inspired by my Aunty in New Zealand, Havarti on biscuits or crackers has also become a current favorite, even though it doesn't quite match up to theirs. Additionally, I've been enjoying Double Brie for its soft, melty goodness.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Recently, I've been exploring various cheese options, moving beyond the usual Bega cheddar. Gouda and Monterey Jack have become my current favorites, especially for a delicious grilled cheese sandwich. Inspired by my Aunty in New Zealand, Havarti on biscuits or crackers has also become a current favorite, even though it doesn't quite match up to theirs. Additionally, I've been enjoying Double Brie for its soft, melty goodness.
In my opinion Monterey Jack is appropriately named:cool:.

Though I knew someone in Houston who made a nice artichoke dip with it.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Since paneer cheese is no longer readily available, I began looking for alternatives.

I've recently discovered queso fresco, which is very similar to paneer cheese. The taste is similar and cook very similarly to crumbled paneer. The only thing I don't like about it is that it tends to crumble much more easily when heated and doesn't stay cubed when pan-fried (I haven't tried it in a simmer sauce yet). Other than that, it's a pretty suitable substitute for paneer.
Halloumi is great fried. Much saltier than paneer, but amazing.

If you can't find paneer, try making it. It is very simple. Only cheese I've ever made and it was better than the stuff from the shop.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

If you can't find paneer, try making it. It is very simple. Only cheese I've ever made and it was better than the stuff from the shop.
Thanks for this. I've not noticed it, so I would have to check local availability. I checked on Amazon, but it seems a bit on the pricey side.

I've been substituting queso fresco, but it tends to crumble when cooked and get a bit melty if fried too long.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Got a recipe?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Got a recipe?

There are plenty online.

Or my quicky

Boil full cream milk in a pan, just as it's starting to rise, take it off the heat and mix in a bit of lemon juice. Stir it and leave for 10 minutes. Scoop out the curd into a cheese cloth, pour cold water through wo wash out the lemon. Drain/wring out the liquid, still in the cheesecloth flatten it onto a plate, pile half a dozen plates on top and bung in the fridge for a couple's of hours.

lewismilton

So this might be a bit random lol
But recently I’ve been exploring some cheese options. The Bega (a popular brand here) cheddar was getting boring.
I’m interested in your favourite types of cheese and favoured ways to eat them.
Swiss, I dunno Italian? Whatever. Have them on crackers or in a burrito or anything you like

Like I’m currently really into Gouda and Monterey Jack for a good grilled cheese sandwich.
My Aunty in New Zealand introduced me to Havarti on biscuits/crackers. Ours isn’t as good as theirs, unfortunately but it’s still a current fave.
Double Brie for a soft melty cheesy cheese has been another recent fave.

What about Philips 107T2198 User Manual online [84/104] 14371?
I am rather partial to Red Leicester which is great when it's grilled with Worcester sauce but I'm also partial to Lancashire cheese which crumbles too easily as well as any soft spreading cheese with herbs. One sandwich that I encountered a few years ago was actually quite tasty and that consisted of a baguette with slices of cheese and apple, well worth it but the apples in my view have to be granny smiths and fresh ones too.