• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favourite Atheist arguments

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That's not an argument though. I mean I could just as easily point to you and say there is no evidence for athiesm so I'm gonna blind assume my preferred worldview. It might be how u internally justify it to yourself and that's ok but it isn't an argument for.

There is no absolute truth about what reality really is. Now if you are on of those, who think, that your thinking decides what reality really is, then that is your problem. And that has nothing to do with you being religious or not.

tarasan

There is no absolute truth about what reality really is. Now if you are on of those, who think, that your thinking decides what reality really is, then that is your problem. And that has nothing to do with you being religious or not.

I am not asking him to tell me the abolsute truth though, in asking him to give a reason his world view is more likely to be true than mine.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I am not asking him to tell me the abolsute truth though, in asking him to give a reason his world view is more likely to be true than mine.

That is unknown. If you want to understand, then you have to consider that there might be a limit to that and thus you hit the unknown.
You are taking for granted that you can know what reality really is. That is not certain.

tarasan

Atheism in a general sense is just a lack of belief in a god.

If you want to get specific you would need to fully define your god and then people could tell you what they do not believe in it.
Yeah I remember whenever negative athiests pulled that old chestnut. Inherently it makes no sense but I will ignore that to progress the conversation.

Let's assume it's a monotheistic perfect being god along the lines of a Protestant Christian theology

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Wow does it? Seriously?
Dang it! No. I screwed up. Too early in the day for me. I conflated the marmot with the wombat. Does that mean that God does exist?

ErcHoozXUAA9L09.jpg

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yeah I remember whenever negative athiests pulled that old chestnut. Inherently it makes no sense but I will ignore that to progress the conversation.

Let's assume it's a monotheistic perfect being god along the lines of a Protestant Christian theology

Then it is an assumption and nothing else. An assumption is not evidence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Wait a second. It is hardly an old chestnut and why does it "inherently it makes no sense"? Before I answer your question you need to justify that claim.

EDIT: No, to be fair I will at least address your "definition" it is far from complete. I do not know of any Protestant Christian that worships a perfect god.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The distinct lack of Popeyes in my area. Enough to make even the most die hard believer question their faith :confounded:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What does God have against the poor little marmot? With the exception of the fact that it is the only known animal to naturally **** bricks.

The originator of the black death was the marmot, transferred to their fleas, the rest is history

tarasan

That is unknown. If you want to understand, then you have to consider that there might be a limit to that and thus you hit the unknown.
You are taking for granted that you can know what reality really is. That isunstand rea not certain.
To truly
Wait a second. It is hardly an old chestnut and why does it "inherently it makes no sense"? Before I answer your question you need to justify that claim.

I mean I don't think I do I'm pretty sure we can have that discussion without having to go into this one ;)

I suppose it has been something that's happened relatively recently. Firstly to know why it's so silly u have to understand what it is to lack belief in something.

So let's say Bob is walking around and out of the blue I jump in and tell him there is a big were cat somewhere up the road. Bob has three choices. He either believes me, rejects what I say or witholds judgment. Non of these are a lack of belief. Bob lacked believe in the were cat before I confronted him. That's because he wasn't even aware that there could be a were cat. That is to lack belief in something.

However the athiest is already engaging in the conversation so he can't lack belief in something. He has already shown that he has been confront with the question/statement. I remember hearing an athiest comparing their lack of belief is the same as a babies.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That's not an argument though. I mean I could just as easily point to you and say there is no evidence for athiesm so I'm gonna blind assume my preferred worldview. It might be how u internally justify it to yourself and that's ok but it isn't an argument for.

Except there is evidence atheists exist.

But lets take it further,

There is no evidence that pink polka dot unicorns exist, guess what, o don't believe in pink polka dot unicorns.

There is evidence the covid 19 exists... You got it, i believe the covid 19 virus exists

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
To truly

I mean I don't think I do I'm pretty sure we can have that discussion without having to go into this one ;)

I suppose it has been something that's happened relatively recently. Firstly to know why it's so silly u have to understand what it is to lack belief in something.

So let's say Bob is walking around and out of the blue I jump in and tell him there is a big were cat somewhere up the road. Bob has three choices. He either believes me, rejects what I say or witholds judgment. Non of these are a lack of belief. Bob lacked believe in the were cat before I confronted him. That's because he wasn't even aware that there could be a were cat. That is to lack belief in something.

However the athiest is already engaging in the conversation so he can't lack belief in something. He has already shown that he has been confront with the question/statement. I remember hearing an athiest comparing their lack of belief is the same as a babies.

Of course I have positive beliefs. But that is it. You are on about a standard of truth and what not. That is something else.

tarasan

Except there is evidence atheists exist.

But lets take it further,

There is no evidence that pink polka dot unicorns exist, guess what, o don't believe in pink polka dot unicorns.

There is evidence the covid 19 exists... You got it, i believe the covid 19 virus exists

Is there no evidence of the awesome unicorn where we would expect to find them?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

LOL! Withholding judgment is exactly a lack of belief.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

You can't make those kinds of arguments you think you can. You run into Agrippa's Trilemma and the problem of solipsism.